Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-04-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
When you have to fix it you will wish you had bought a gasser six.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah they can be expensive to fix no doubt. I saved back extra $$ just in case it has issues. They cost $4900 to overhaul the entire 7.3 and the clutch costs about $1500 to replace. So i at least have a worst case senario amount set aside just incase I have a bad day!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

You don't have to worry about spark plugs, distributors, wires, caps, rotors, ignitior chips, coils, ect on a diesel. You only need compression+fuel being injected and runs.

So if the engine is in good shape you really only worry about eventually replacing injectors. On a 7.3 that can be around 2 grand parts. Luckily they don't go out often. I recommend Rotella 5w40 synthetic as it will handle being pumped to the injectors better. The powerstroke injectors are fed high pressure engine oil to fire. So a 7.3 is harder on oil compared to other engines. Nothing to worry about, just IMO its worth buying the synthetic over the regular for about 32 extra bucks an oil change.

If/when you wear out a 7.3 (many have gone 400-500k original engine) and you still want to use the truck, don't spend 5 grand overhauling it. You could get a used cummins 5.9 and the adapter parts for close to that and have the Ford Cummins. All the Cummins goodness without the mediocre dodge.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dareo View Post
You don't have to worry about spark plugs, distributors, wires, caps, rotors, ignitior chips, coils, ect on a diesel. You only need compression+fuel being injected and runs.

So if the engine is in good shape you really only worry about eventually replacing injectors. On a 7.3 that can be around 2 grand parts. Luckily they don't go out often. I recommend Rotella 5w40 synthetic as it will handle being pumped to the injectors better. The powerstroke injectors are fed high pressure engine oil to fire. So a 7.3 is harder on oil compared to other engines. Nothing to worry about, just IMO its worth buying the synthetic over the regular for about 32 extra bucks an oil change.

If/when you wear out a 7.3 (many have gone 400-500k original engine) and you still want to use the truck, don't spend 5 grand overhauling it. You could get a used cummins 5.9 and the adapter parts for close to that and have the Ford Cummins. All the Cummins goodness without the mediocre dodge.
Its the cost of pumps, injectors , glowplugs and turbos that kill you. You won't get over 300k from those items.
Posted via Mobile Device