Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

JD 737 discharging battery while running--is it a bad clutch?

I'm working on a friends JD737 that he recently purchased used with about 400 hours on it. After mowing for a couple hours, the new battery (and fully charged) will be run down so that it will not restart the engine. After searching the site for info on the charging system. I've tested it and all seems to be well--stator puts out 28 volts AC at the connector, and at the battery, with engine running almost full throttle, its 14.3 volts DC. This all checks just as it should and indicates the charging system is functioning properly..

The pto clutch seems to engage properly. Prior to the new battery, the clutch would sometimes disengage.

Will a bad clutch, or one out of adjustment pull excessive current?
Old 05-21-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

New clutch solves discharge problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlynnC View Post
I'm working on a friends JD737 that he recently purchased used with about 400 hours on it. After mowing for a couple hours, the new battery (and fully charged) will be run down so that it will not restart the engine. After searching the site for info on the charging system. I've tested it and all seems to be well--stator puts out 28 volts AC at the connector, and at the battery, with engine running almost full throttle, its 14.3 volts DC. This all checks just as it should and indicates the charging system is functioning properly..

The pto clutch seems to engage properly. Prior to the new battery, the clutch would sometimes disengage.

Will a bad clutch, or one out of adjustment pull excessive current?
Thought I would post the solution to the discharge problem--might help someone else. Talked with the owner of the JD737 last night--said the old clutch had a bare wire--replaced with a new clutch and mower is working fine--no run down battery.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:54 PM
LawnSite Member

This sounds like my problem.....
Im going to go ahead and try a new clutch!