Register free!

Old 03-02-2015, 02:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Questions regarding planting rye grass in bald areas in lawn in Mississippi.

Hey guys. A customer of mine asked me should he plant some rye grass in the bald area in his lawn. Its an area that gets a lot of shade under a huge river birch and magnolia tree. He has a hard time getting grass to grow there. The rest of the lawn in a mix of st augustine and centipede grasses.
I don't know much about planting grass seed etc. I told him I would ask some experts for their opinion on an awesome lawn care site.

thanks for any info.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shade tolerant fescue would be better.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It will prob come up but will die off when the heat comes on since it's a cool season grass. A perennial will last longer but this really should have been done last fall. Those 2 trees are some of the most difficult to grow grass under.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArTurf View Post
It will prob come up but will die off when the heat comes on since it's a cool season grass. A perennial will last longer but this really should have been done last fall. Those 2 trees are some of the most difficult to grow grass under.
Very true, and your customer needs to understand that its a choice between having a lawn with out trees or having no lawn with trees.
easy-lift guy
Old 03-06-2015, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

no grass

A shade situation will seldom grow grass as Easy-lift pointed out. You need about 6 hours of direct sun per day to grow grass.
The best choice is to plant a ivy or a shade-loving ground cover under dense trees. I am up north. Talk to several local landscapers to find out what is suited to your climate, conditions and irrigation situation.

The other option is bark chips.
And you could also pave it with bricks or flat concrete paving stones--be as decorative as you can--a bit artistic perhaps. In either case, a picnic table, art object or attractive bubbling fountain will distract the eye from the real need for no grass.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 03-06-2015 at 10:29 AM. Reason: ps
Old 03-07-2015, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
lawn in a mix of st augustine and centipede grasses.
Shade isn't the only concern with trees. Trees also compete with turf for water and nutrients. St. Augustinegrass is relatively shade tolerant. Perennial ryegrass is not tolerant of the heat and drought that you're going to see in your areas. Tall fescue is a little more tolerant of heat and drought, but you'd be pushing the limit there.

If you're not already growing St. Aug underneath the tree, it may just be that no turf will produce the look that you're going for. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em. If grass won't grow there, don't force it -- plant something that will grow there. Consider making a mulch bed (don't need to plant anything) or planting some shade tolerance ground covers.