Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Walker MDD oil filter part # and oil?

Hey all, long time, no post! I just bought a new Walker Diesel, 20.9 hp Kubota diesel, and am having some difficulty finding the right oil filter for it. Dealer is a 45 minute to hour and 15 minute one way trip depending on which I choose, so I'd much rather find something locally.

I've spent some time searching for the D722 engine and come up with about 5 different filters for that engine. (wix filters) of 3 I was able to find locally they are all different sizes. I'm not pulling the filter I have until I know for sure I have a correct replacement. What have you found??

Also, the book is specifying to use 10w30 diesel oil. Well I've been to every open auto parts store and farm supply in town and no one has ever heard of 10w30 oil for diesel engines. Book also says SAE30 (diesel) can be used but only in warm weather. Should I just use 15w40 since that's what most every other diesel engine on the planet uses?

Any suggestions on filter and oil would by much appreciated!
Old 10-14-2012, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I was told 15-40 was good to use. My walker dealer says to use the oil with letter rating as walker says to in owners manual. When my MDD was first breaking in (under 100 hours) it used oil, and i thought it was the oil, after the 100 hours or so it completley stopped. Deealer also mentioned not to change the oil all the time with the diesel as it is good for them to build up some carbon in the oil. Stay to walker specs with oil and changes. My walker dealer stocks all the correct filters, i know the one oil filter in the book is no longer made so they stock the replacement new kubota filter for that. All other air and fuel use only oem for proper fit as per owners manual mentions.
Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the info and I'll keep a close eye on the dipstick! I looked at every oil on the shelf and none had the same specs as what walker and kubota are calling for. Perhaps they are listing the minimum ratings and all the oil I looked at is above that. I now know that 10w30 diesel oil doesn't really exist, so I have no clue why they would spec that as the best choice. I'm sure 15w40 will be the best and easiest option for me.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-14-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I found rotella T oil at my auto parts to have the rating even higher than specs which Is better
Posted via Mobile Device