Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-10-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Pressure Regulator For Blowouts

OK,

So, unfortunately the rental house I was going to get a 90 cfm compressor from doesn't have one in the area.

All the other houses have basically the same compressor. 185cfm and about 125 psi.

So, needless to say I have to use it regardless.

So, I need to regulate the pressure. I guess I can just crack the valve half way and figure I'm getting low enough PSI for the irrigation systems.

But that's not good enough for me. I'd like to know the exact PSI I'm pushing through.

So, I was thinking of a simple Pressure Regulator you can buy for standard air compressor, adding two male quick connects on each side and run it in-line with my air hose.

Do you guys think this is a viable solution, or would I just be wasting my time. The regulator is only like 10 bucks total, and that's cheap for a bit of piece of mind.

Thanks

Nick.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-10-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Spend more money for a 3/4-inch or 1-inch brass regulator that is specifically rated for high-temperature use, meaning at least 300ºF
Old 10-10-2012, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

All the diesel tow behind compressors I've used have had a built in regulator and gauge. You just gotta find it.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Spend more money for a 3/4-inch or 1-inch brass regulator that is specifically rated for high-temperature use, meaning at least 300ºF
Thanks, that's a better idea by far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Contracting View Post
All the diesel tow behind compressors I've used have had a built in regulator and gauge. You just gotta find it.
See, that's what I would assume with any tow behind unit. Everyone I called though (4 shops total) said there is no way to control the pressure, and I don't buy it.

I might call the rental house tomorrow and get the specific make and model and try to find a manual for it on-line and figure it out.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Yea, it's there. They just don't want you messing with it.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They all have pressure regulators its just knowing what to look for , then knowing how to adjust them .
Old 10-10-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I was looking at some specialized pressure reducers, and what I read suggests the possibility that an all-brass PRV that gets used for water service, may handle air temps over 200 F - for maximum temperature resistance, you'd specify a unit that uses Viton instead of Neoprene for the diaphragm and seat washer.

http://www.watsonmcdaniel.com/v2/pdfs2010/directoperated/OSeries_PressureRegulatingValve_154_155.pdf
Old 10-11-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What weve always done is use a ball valve on the end of the hose with a pressure gauge down stream of it. Not perfect because the air pressure can build so the trick is to either switch the valves fast or manually open a second one and close the first.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Member

The compressor will probably surge if your adjust the pressure regular on the compressor down to 50 psi. I use an external pressure regulator mounted by the reel.

Slowly opening the ball valve is not a good way to regulate the air pressure. It is too easy to open faster than you intend and create a water hammer that will send a sprinkler head into space.

I get a lot of sprinkler repair in the spring because of unregulated air.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.Contracting View Post
what he said. Like all it will have a lock nut and a bolt that screws down to increase , up to decrease.