Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I understand exactly how they work bro. You can argue with the manu's if you want, but they say more HP is required, and the link I posted shows that to be true. It's also my experience. The rear discharge decks cut the clippings more than once as well, because the clippings get cut at the front then sent back over and round the blades all the way to the rear before going on out the exit at the back of the deck. Each blade gets wrapped up in/by the clippings from front to back, not just at the front like a side discharge deck does, and that drains HP. Run both sometime on the same exact machine on the same day, on the same turf. You'll get to experience it for yourself firsthand. The difference isn't drastic, but it is there.
You're experience is obviously different than mine. I have run both decks and have experienced the difference first hand also. I've run just about every brand out there and every salesman and mechanic I've ever spoken to have told me that the rear uses less HP. Everyone I've ever spoken to who do this for a living every day have also said the same thing. That's been my experience. Logically, to me, since the clippings only have to travel out the back of the deck instead of the full width of the deck, it should require less HP.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey, maybe the guy that posted the 28 acre thread should be looking at one of these! (C'mon kid, we got some easy finance terms.)
Old 10-20-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Do you guys realize this thing has an MSRP of $30,000!!!!You could buy 3 Super Z's for the price of one of these machines. That means that one flex wing for this mower costs as much as an entire Super Z!!!!!!!!!!That's completely ridiculous. I assume this machine is meant to replace the range wing which had an 11' swath. However, what you have to remember is that the range wing was an industrial machine and had two engine options-38 HP Kubota diesel or a Ford 54 HP engine. In essence, this machine won't really compare if you're looking at apples to apples and will probably be underpowered.

What you also have to look at is practicality and productivity. I tried out a Lastec 100' with a 38 HP kubota and wasn't impressed. This thing was so slow and cumbersome, it was a joke and was only practical out in large open spaces. You can forget about maneuvering around trees with a mower this size-it just won't do it!! Also, when the Lastec was pointed a little down hill, it just slipped and slid because the weight of 100' of deck was always dragging it down hill. My 60" Scag was literally running circles around this machine and the rep got mad about it and accused me of turning up the mower, which I didn't. The Lastec was also a rear discharge and left a really crappy cut in contrast to my velocity deck.

I think they said the ground speed on this mower was 10-11 MPH. Trust me, 3 Super Z's(Cost of mower) at 15-16 MPH will far out cut this mower. Great concept and nice looking mower but not practical from a productivity and economical standpoint.
Like I said the machine has a purpose but for the professional cutter not really,you will see this thing at the college where the state pisses money away without a care. it is a nice mower how ever.

I have been looking at components just to get an idea of what is needed to take the z technology foward and like you wrote these 100 inch cut machines are a joke on a few fronts, come on manufactueres at least put some real wheels and tires on them.

Somebody needs to make a Z with 31 X 13.5 or 15.5 tires or bigger for good traction as an option for a big Z with 2 speed wheel motors for doing hills as well as speed.

I was just looking at a 51 HP diesel engine on a site and that would be great it only weighs 350 pounds. A 12 to 15 hundred CC gas fuel injected engine would be great to.Everything is getting to be so outrageously expensive that good tires and wheel motor's would add alot to the price.

A big Z with quality light weight pull behind capabilty is the way to go for a do it all machine for large jobs that can fit on a 16 or 20 foot trailer.

By the way you are right about the rear discharge, I have been looking at them for over 6 years.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You're experience is obviously different than mine. I have run both decks and have experienced the difference first hand also. I've run just about every brand out there and every salesman and mechanic I've ever spoken to have told me that the rear uses less HP. Everyone I've ever spoken to who do this for a living every day have also said the same thing. That's been my experience. Logically, to me, since the clippings only have to travel out the back of the deck instead of the full width of the deck, it should require less HP.
I do understand that everyone's experiences can be different, but the statements in bold are something any of us, including me can post/say, but they are not provable on a forum like this. So, since I don't have a scanner to show you these, I simply took some pics of a Land Pride brochure to show I am not just posting my own opinion. I also understand that to many it seems logical that a rear discharge deck should use less HP, so they post that as fact (not saying that's what you did since I don't know that for fact or you as a person, but it happens here all the time on LS with many different subjects).

The first pic is the cover of the brochure, then one of the two facing pages showing their finish mower decks, and finally what LP says about the rear discharge decks (which is the deck in the lower right corner of the pic of both pages).
Attached Images

Old 10-20-2012, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I do understand that everyone's experiences can be different, but the statements in bold are something any of us, including me can post/say, but they are not provable on a forum like this. So, since I don't have a scanner to show you these, I simply took some pics of a Land Pride brochure to show I am not just posting my own opinion. I also understand that to many it seems logical that a rear discharge deck should use less HP, so they post that as fact (not saying that's what you did since I don't know that for fact or you as a person, but it happens here all the time on LS with many different subjects).

The first pic is the cover of the brochure, then one of the two facing pages showing their finish mower decks, and finally what LP says about the rear discharge decks (which is the deck in the lower right corner of the pic of both pages).
I can't attest to the Land Pride brand but what I do know is that you're referring to a three point finish mower pulled behind a tractor and I'm referring to a ZTR with a rear discharge deck. Maybe that's the difference.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ridin Green-You asked for proof so I found it for you. Go to www.grasshoppermower.com and look under 4X rear discharge decks. It says it twice-"requires less HP." With the land pride brochure, they're referring to a finish mower versus a rotary, requiring more HP. Again, I'm talking from experience-I owned a New Holland TC30 with a Bushhog brand 60" rear discharge finish mower. I know exactly how they perform. A finish mower behind a tractor requires more HP over a rotary simply because it's pulling more RPM. You're welcomed to call a dealer and find out for yourself. Ask Puppy-he can tell you all about tractors.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am a grasshopper and hustler dealer. I own a 2013 325d with 4x rear discharge deck, and a 725d5427 side discharge demo. I can honestly say from first hand experience with basically same mower and engine side by side. The rear discharge set up runs much less blade tip speed than the side discharge. You can tell the motor is turned down too. The rear discharge on the hopper manages grass much better as it has 3some regular 21" blades like normal, then a 4th blade turning the opposite direction mangling the clippings. Since i got my own rear setup and let people use, alot have switched over. Can say how nice it is to cut yards and not have dust grass and dirt all over me and the mower. My mower has 16 hours so far, and it still looks just like my new ones...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2012, 05:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ridin Green-You asked for proof so I found it for you. Go to www.grasshoppermower.com and look under 4X rear discharge decks. It says it twice-"requires less HP." With the land pride brochure, they're referring to a finish mower versus a rotary, requiring more HP. Again, I'm talking from experience-I owned a New Holland TC30 with a Bushhog brand 60" rear discharge finish mower. I know exactly how they perform. A finish mower behind a tractor requires more HP over a rotary simply because it's pulling more RPM. You're welcomed to call a dealer and find out for yourself. Ask Puppy-he can tell you all about tractors.
Puppy can tell you about anything, hey Puppy how did the universe get here? what is the missing dark matter that makes it up, who is going to win the Super Bowl this year?
Old 10-21-2012, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I am a grasshopper and hustler dealer. I own a 2013 325d with 4x rear discharge deck, and a 725d5427 side discharge demo. I can honestly say from first hand experience with basically same mower and engine side by side. The rear discharge set up runs much less blade tip speed than the side discharge. You can tell the motor is turned down too. The rear discharge on the hopper manages grass much better as it has 3some regular 21" blades like normal, then a 4th blade turning the opposite direction mangling the clippings. Since i got my own rear setup and let people use, alot have switched over. Can say how nice it is to cut yards and not have dust grass and dirt all over me and the mower. My mower has 16 hours so far, and it still looks just like my new ones...
Posted via Mobile Device
how does the cut look compared t o side.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realslowww View Post
Puppy can tell you about anything, hey Puppy how did the universe get here? what is the missing dark matter that makes it up, who is going to win the Super Bowl this year?
I hear ya!!!!!!!!!