Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I am a grasshopper and hustler dealer. I own a 2013 325d with 4x rear discharge deck, and a 725d5427 side discharge demo. I can honestly say from first hand experience with basically same mower and engine side by side. The rear discharge set up runs much less blade tip speed than the side discharge. You can tell the motor is turned down too. The rear discharge on the hopper manages grass much better as it has 3some regular 21" blades like normal, then a 4th blade turning the opposite direction mangling the clippings. Since i got my own rear setup and let people use, alot have switched over. Can say how nice it is to cut yards and not have dust grass and dirt all over me and the mower. My mower has 16 hours so far, and it still looks just like my new ones...
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey Retro, you still selling Badboy? I believe you on the blade tip speed. I ran a Hustler with a rear discharge about 3 yrs ago and noticed that it seemed to be running slower but I didn't really put much thought into it. It makes sense because the clippings don't have as far to travel, just like I mentioned before. I had to keep looking back to see if the mower was actually cutting the turf-I was used to seeing and feeling clippings come out the side. How does the cut on the rear grasshopper compare to the Hustler? Does the Hustler have that fourth blade also?
Old 10-21-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My biggest thing is can you mow with a rear discharge at high speed and knock down in one pass.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You can mow full speed on a regular yard, but heavy growth and you need to slow down of course or double cut. Ok, its hard to explain, but the 4x leaves a strange stripe, it looks good just different than anything else. On the hustler only rear i cut with was a 72" and it was the older style deck. Ther rear on the hustler then was just 3 blades, i think hopper is the only one that does the 4 set-up. And actually, we finished the year as the largest volume bad boy dealer in the world, so yes i still sell them...lol. we only have a 3000 square ft store and one other full time employee besides me. I just really get in the field with these guys and demo alot with them. I am this small and have 11the demoes right now all but one is the field this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I want!!

Website
Like our Facebook Page!
Snapper CP218520
Snapper 21351PD new engine
LawnBoy 10227 wi/bagger
Kawasaki KRB650B
Stihl BG55
John Deere
Shindaiwa T242
Shindaiwa RS41
Husqvarna 445 saw
Stihl MS210C
Kawasaki KHDS600A
Stihl KM90R wi/ trimmer/blower/edger
2014 Quality Steel and Aluminum 5x8 Utility Trailer.
Toro single stage snow thrower.

Click here for my work thread!
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well
Old 10-21-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
Ridin Green-You asked for proof so I found it for you. Go to www.grasshoppermower.com and look under 4X rear discharge decks. It says it twice-"requires less HP." With the land pride brochure, they're referring to a finish mower versus a rotary, requiring more HP. Again, I'm talking from experience-I owned a New Holland TC30 with a Bushhog brand 60" rear discharge finish mower. I know exactly how they perform. A finish mower behind a tractor requires more HP over a rotary simply because it's pulling more RPM. You're welcomed to call a dealer and find out for yourself. Ask Puppy-he can tell you all about tractors.
No dude, read it again. Those two pages are solely on their finish mowers, not any of their rear rotary (or bush hog) mowers. Frontier says the same thing and so does Woods (no surprise since they make many of the Frontier mowers). So does/did Sitrex and several other manu's I have literature from. No need for me to ccall anyone or ask anyone either. I've been running various tractors for probably a lot longer than you've even been alive. I worked on a farm all my teenage years. I have quite a bit of hands on experience.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:24 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
No dude, read it again. Those two pages are solely on their finish mowers, not any of their rear rotary (or bush hog) mowers. Frontier says the same thing and so does Woods (no surprise since they make many of the Frontier mowers). So does/did Sitrex and several other manu's I have literature from. No need for me to ccall anyone or ask anyone either. I've been running various tractors for probably a lot longer than you've even been alive. I worked on a farm all my teenage years. I have quite a bit of hands on experience.
Are we talking about mowers or tractor's man? I believe this thread is about a Hustler ZTR not a tractor. Read the article I gave you and lets move on. Nuff said.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Are we talking about mowers or tractor's man? I believe this thread is about a Hustler ZTR not a tractor. Read the article I gave you and lets move on. Nuff said.
We're talking mower decks, whether they go on a tractor or a ZTR. Either way they are the same, and the rear requires more HP if everything is equal, as in BTS, ground speed, tires size, wheel pumps/motors- whatever you want to add to the list. Maybe you need to read it again or ask more questions from others that actually have hands on long term experience with several different deck designs and machines to run them.

Retro said the read discharge Grasshopper has lower BTS, which generally works an engine less, so less HP is required. Turn those same blades up to equal a side discharge deck and then you're gonna need more HP.

Is this really that hard to understand? I am starting to doubt from what you are posting that you have very much experience with either tractors, ZTR's or different type and designs of decks.

It appears that you have your mind made up simply because it seems that it should be the way you have been figuring it, and not based off reality/real world hands on experience.

Call Land Pride and tell them they have it all wrong.

Yep, nuff said. have a good night bro.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
We're talking mower decks, whether they go on a tractor or a ZTR. Either way they are the same, and the rear requires more HP if everything is equal, as in BTS, ground speed, tires size, wheel pumps/motors- whatever you want to add to the list. Maybe you need to read it again or ask more questions from others that actually have hands on long term experience with several different deck designs and machines to run them.

Retro said the read discharge Grasshopper has lower BTS, which generally works an engine less, so less HP is required. Turn those same blades up to equal a side discharge deck and then you're gonna need more HP.

Is this really that hard to understand? I am starting to doubt from what you are posting that you have very much experience with either tractors, ZTR's or different type and designs of decks.

It appears that you have your mind made up simply because it seems that it should be the way you have been figuring it, and not based off reality/real world hands on experience.

Call Land Pride and tell them they have it all wrong.

Yep, nuff said. have a good night bro.
Yea, you certainly got me on that one...........Chuck. Now, if I can just find the men's section in this joint.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yea, you certainly got me on that one...........Chuck. Now, if I can just find the men's section in this joint.
What the heck are you talking about now? I suppose that calling me "Chuck" is supposed to be some kind of redneck putdown or something.

When you can't back up your argument with facts, resort to name calling. Sounds like maybe you do need to grow up some bro.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
What the heck are you talking about now? I suppose that calling me "Chuck" is supposed to be some kind of redneck putdown or something.

When you can't back up your argument with facts, resort to name calling. Sounds like maybe you do need to grow up some bro.
You know....Chuck.....Norris......You da man bro. Laying all jokes aside-If I'd known you couldn't read when I referred you to the grasshopper website, I'd just sent pictures.You da man bro.........