Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-29-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
The new 72" Super Z I bought; of which I had flex forks installed before it was delivered rides a little better than my old Super Z with flex forks and the flex seat base added to the suspension seat. The difference is the wheel base being longer and just enough additional weight to help the flex forks react a little easier.

This is also with the flat-free tires on the bigger machine, which as we both know; tires with low air pressure absorbs a great deal of shock. I honestly thought the flat-free tires would give me a ride problem, but the only thing I've noticed is when it sits overnight there is a flat spot that must be rolled out. These flat spots move out of the tires amazingly fast compared to what I would have thought, meaning it has not been a concern so far.

I've had some argument (from one) that the additional weight should make the ride more rough, and this is not true, the additional weight removes many of the smaller jolts associated with slightly rough terrain. I tried to explain to him there was terrain you could cross on a D-9 Caterpillar and never feel any roughness due to its weight, but if you crossed the same area with a lower weight rubber tire machine it may beat you to death. I don't think he ever believed what I was trying to get across, but that's what makes the world go round, different people, with different opinions.
I had flat free tires on my TT and they were great. I'll tell you one thing though, before the flat free tires, I had my tires on an Exmark filled with foam and they rode terrible-no flats but a drastic trade off. I almost took them back off. The weight thing is like driving a big truck-the more weight, the better the ride.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
I had flat free tires on my TT and they were great. I'll tell you one thing though, before the flat free tires, I had my tires on an Exmark filled with foam and they rode terrible-no flats but a drastic trade off. I almost took them back off. The weight thing is like driving a big truck-the more weight, the better the ride.
You need to explain the weight thing to "Realslowww," for some reason he has a hard time getting a grip on this.

The tires on my mower are manufactured under the name of OTR, below is what their claim is.

The OTR Semi Pneumatic tire's main design features are:

Improved Semi Pneumatic design. Benefit: heavy duty flat proof tire that performs like a pneumatic tire.

Locked Tire design. Benefit: when mounted on a wheel creates a true one piece wheel assembly.

Smooth tread design. Benefit: stays clean and creates minimal turf disturbance.

Enhanced rubber technology in design. Benefit: reduces shock and lowers vibration during operation.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I kind of wonder about why Hustler is making this type of mower again in the first place. Years ago, Hustler reinvented themselves by canning the whole line of mowers they had with these big decks, and coming out with a new series midmounts. Now, they are back to trying to build these wing-type mowers.
I guess they did not learn their lesson the first time around. Hustler already has way too many models. Why bring out a mower that wil have very limited demand, and one where JD and Toro already "own" the market?
Someone at Hustler is on an ego trip. Reminds me of some of the foolish and costly mistakes Dixie Chopper has made over the years.
I agree 100% on that one. It appears that they D/C'd the range wing and have made an ill attempt to replace it. The thing is, the range wing was an industrial unit with a 38HP Kubota diesel and made to handle day in and day out mowing. The odd thing is that the price point wasn't much different than this 104". This mower is nothing more than a Super Z with wings and a price that's way out of line. It's a beautiful mower but I don't see them selling many...that's my prediction. I also agree with Hustler reinventing the wheel and having too many machines. I will say that they are the most proactive company I've ever seen but they have been all over the map with their product line since I started with them in 98'.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybravo8802 View Post
I agree 100% on that one. It appears that they D/C'd the range wing and have made an ill attempt to replace it. The thing is, the range wing was an industrial unit with a 38HP Kubota diesel and made to handle day in and day out mowing. The odd thing is that the price point wasn't much different than this 104". This mower is nothing more than a Super Z with wings and a price that's way out of line. It's a beautiful mower but I don't see them selling many...that's my prediction. I also agree with Hustler reinventing the wheel and having too many machines. I will say that they are the most proactive company I've ever seen but they have been all over the map with their product line since I started with them in 98'.
The 104 will never be a big seller, and I look for them to pull it from their lineup rather quickly, either that or make significant changes, with engines being the most needed change. There will be a few sold to people that want to spend money, and look to others as if having the biggest and baddest Super Z made. Then there will be a few buying them to try on large open area cutting such as a sports complex. I can promise if anyone attempts to cut damp or slightly (not greatly) overgrown grass, they will find out immediately the 104 is extremely weak.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What a Hustler salesman says about the HP required to operate the RD deck on the 104

I just tripped up on this video of a Hustler salesman showing the Hustler 104 and commenting on the HP required to operate the rear discharge setup on the mower.

While watching the video I remembered this discussion here on LS about whether a rear discharge deck required more, or less, HP to operate than a side discharge deck.

Don't mean to stir the pot, but I thought it was interesting that reps of different companies seem to have a difference of opinion when it comes to this topic. This salesman says the RD deck takes less hp to operate, but like Ridin' Green, I've also seen/heard reps state the opposite.

(The statement he makes about the hp required to run the RD deck is at 1 minute.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYRLzHyro8

Last edited by StanWilhite; 04-11-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
Reminds me of some of the foolish and costly mistakes Dixie Chopper has made over the years.
What mistakes you talking about Do tell
Old 04-11-2013, 05:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I just tripped up on this video of a Hustler salesman showing the Hustler 104 and commenting on the HP required to operate the rear discharge setup on the mower.
Good find mate! Love to see a vid of it actually mowing though.
Be good if it could lift the "wings" individually!
I dont think the 35hp would be enough to run it over here unless it never rained again.
RD needs less HP. Its not trying to throw all 108" worth through a 15" or what ever hole. Hell, cant even throw 60"! Sorry, had to be said!
The scalp wheels on the rear edge of the "wing" arent pivoting like a caster.
What happens if or WHEN the "wings" get folded while the blades are still engaged? Its a rhetorical question!
Great hydro system though.............
Old 04-11-2013, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickhippy View Post
Good find mate! Love to see a vid of it actually mowing though.
Be good if it could lift the "wings" individually!
I dont think the 35hp would be enough to run it over here unless it never rained again.
RD needs less HP. Its not trying to throw all 108" worth through a 15" or what ever hole. Hell, cant even throw 60"! Sorry, had to be said!
The scalp wheels on the rear edge of the "wing" arent pivoting like a caster.
What happens if or WHEN the "wings" get folded while the blades are still engaged? Its a rhetorical question!
Great hydro system though.............
That's a very good point, you've seen times in your area where the full 35 hp was needed on your 60" deck. I understand having a larger discharge opening as with a rear discharge deck should ease hp requirements somewhat, but when thinking about adding 2.66' more cutting width to that 35 hp, it's hard for me to believe it can handle it properly in all cutting scenarios.

There could be a safety switch integrated to stop the deck immediately if the wing raise switch was activated, hopefully, there is something in place.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
Don't mean to stir the pot, but I thought it was interesting that reps of different companies seem to have a difference of opinion when it comes to this topic. This salesman says the RD deck takes less hp to operate, but like Ridin' Green, I've also seen/heard reps state the opposite.

(The statement he makes about the hp required to run the RD deck is at 1 minute.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYRLzHyro8

Nice video. I think the salesman chose his words carefully. He said it didnt require the hp of a side discharge. He didnt said the rear discharge requires less.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

I've been told the wings can flex 15 degrees up or down for hillsides and slopes. There's a slot in the lifting arm allowing that. When the clutch is on you can't raise the wing. 179 post and there are still questions. I don't require something this big but I still drove it and it was sweet. The machine is out, hasn't anybody mowed with it yet? It's still in the 30 up here and lots of rain but no mowing yet.

TTGS