Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-23-2003, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Does anyone use a liftgate???

I am in the process of buying a truck, and am trying to cover all my bases on the body. Does anyone use a liftgate to load unload plant material??? or anything else?? I was kicking around the idea of a side liftgate for such instances, but was told by some it is a bad idea, and by others it was a good idea?? Any opinions?? BTW...The body was going to by a 12', 50" high sided, grain dump, with a 50" curbside access door by the cab. The liftgate would be a stow-away under this side access section...it wont be on the tailgate.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well here is my input on it,If you are doing alot of planting in your business with most of them being bigger plants/trees and such and you do not have a bobcat then yes i would get it.But if you have equipment at the site every time you work some where then no why waste the money on it,besides you can always have it put on later.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks...that a good point about adding it later if needed.

Now I just need to decide manual or automatic!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I like auto's for ease of use no clutches to worrie about,plus if you have many employees driving auto be better in the long run.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Alright, you need to ask yourself several ?'s. Will you be handling good size trees and shrubs by hand on the jobsite?
Will you be taking a loader to most of the jobsites where your hauling away dirt and other heavy material?
While, working for a Design/Install firm the lift gates were the most used tool by far. With the gates we could load heavy wheelburrows with ease, unload trees either into the whole, or wheelburrow with little effort. Thus, for those smaller installations where you really don't want to pull in skidsteer around, liftgates make alot of sense.
Another, ? do you use power equipiment such as sod cutters, bed edgers, tillers, etc...? Think about getting this stuff in and out of the truck.
I would think twice about putting the gate on the side. I've not used a side-lift, but think a rear gate would be easier to use.

Old 01-24-2003, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Son-in-law--- The reason I wanted a side gate was I was a bit concerned of having immediate access to the rear bed to unload buckets, tools, etc. I figured with the rear gate it would make it awkward. Also, with the liftgate in the rear, I wont get the height needed to hold 12-14 yards of mulch. I dont know, Im just thinking out loud. I think I might take cats advice and wait to see if I need one. Thanks
Old 01-24-2003, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Member

KenH
We never had a problem with getting into the bed. The Tommygate lift acts as the rear gate of the bed, just folds up and is held in place with 2 pins. As far as height goes, I think any good truck bed installer could work that out. The good thing about the Tommygates is no need for extra hydradulics. Their self-contained, only need the wiring to the battery, and take up very little room. Plenty of room for any can of trailer hitch.

You're right about thinking twice about getting one right away, but you won't believe how much a lift helps out, when you do put one on.