Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Green Industry has the right idea; base rate for 4000 sqft. Add a charge for each additional 1000 sqft.
Suppose it costs an average of 1 dollar for materials,(averaged over the year), and 2 dollars for the labor and equipment to apply the materials.

The base rate includes a charge for overhead, postage, insurance, rent; Suppose overhead was 5000 last year, and you did 5000 applications--you would charge$1 per application included in that base fee. The base fee also usually includes about 10 to 15 dollars for the cost of driving the truck out to the house, (for gas, truck payment, and your labor to drive).
Old 10-16-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

they quoted me $33 per bag for dimension 0-0-7. he also handed me a copy of his program and went on to say that barricade and pre-m are old news and won't work on these lawns anymore because they are now tolerant. so he says, he will never carry anything but dimension, so i'm out of luck if i want stonewall, or pre-m. but really, he says i need specticle because that is where its at. so 4 pre-emergent apps a year on bermuda need to be all dimension according to him.

so i went to my local garden center which is 4 miles from my house, and they had barricade 0-0-7 at $25 a bag, i just bought a few of those because i have some customers to take care of friday.

i am gonna go to another JDL near me that i think has more stuff. i want to use dimension, but not for every pre-emergent round.. i am planning on rotating around and not using one thing. i would like to use dimension for my second pre-emergent app in the spring.

i'm still keeping my price where its per 1k, i don't care to do lawns over 8k anyways. backpacking weeds is gonna take a long time on the big lawns anyway. in the 8k and under range my price is reasonable compared to others from what i know.. and i've had good control of weeds in these size lawns so far. i'm more interested in gearing up for mowing, rather than spraying right now. i think that mowing is gonna get me full-time faster, and the fact that i can do apps as well will just help me better sell my services to those who like both. i shot my self in the foot with underbidding in 04'.. not gonna mess up again.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow that's crazy. You can buy Dimension 0-0-7 at HD for $22 per bag.

IIRC You're only allowed two apps per year at full label rate of dimension per lawn.. I'm gonna assume he meant 4 split apps.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

he told me i could get the dimension at HD for 50 bucks a bag. i never seen dimension at my local home depot (yet), i've gotten pre-m there for around 22 a bag. thinking i'm not going back into the JDL on atlanta rd. ever again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
Wow that's crazy. You can buy Dimension 0-0-7 at HD for $22 per bag.

IIRC You're only allowed two apps per year at full label rate of dimension per lawn.. I'm gonna assume he meant 4 split apps.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
he told me i could get the dimension at HD for 50 bucks a bag. i never seen dimension at my local home depot (yet), i've gotten pre-m there for around 22 a bag. thinking i'm not going back into the JDL on atlanta rd. ever again.
Well, the Lesco 0-0-7 pre-m at HD is not technically called Dimension on the bag, But the active ingredient is pendamethalin (Dimension). HD does not carry any sort of Prodiamine products (Stonewall/Barricade) though.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Member

The AI in Dimension is Dithiopyr, not pendamethalin.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythium View Post
The AI in Dimension is Dithiopyr, not pendamethalin.
You're right, just reading up on it.... I'm wondering where I'm getting pendamethalin from? I could have sworn the bag of Dimension 0-0-7 I bought from JDL in Feb said Pendamethalin as the AI.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Wouldn't surprise me if it did. I hate JDL. Service sucks and the knowledge of the guys that work there is terrible, well at least my branch.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythium View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if it did. I hate JDL. Service sucks and the knowledge of the guys that work there is terrible, well at least my branch.
One guy at my branch is pretty knowledgeable. The other is guy kind of a ding dong.

I used to have a branch literally a mile from my house and the guy there was really knowledgable. They shut it down back in '08 though. It's now a King Green branch.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

which location is this?? i used to work for king green back in the day before they sold to centex, guess they are back now. they always promised us they would never sell to trugreen, lol.. but they sold us off to worse.. and i ended right back up at trugreen.

which JDL do you go to now? i am gonna just keep going to the one in kennesaw. not to happy with JDL, but really.. not sure what other options there are. i can go way out to cartersville and checkout southern states. i hear howards is good, but alpharetta is far from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
One guy at my branch is pretty knowledgeable. The other is guy kind of a ding dong.

I used to have a branch literally a mile from my house and the guy there was really knowledgable. They shut it down back in '08 though. It's now a King Green branch.