Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
which location is this?? i used to work for king green back in the day before they sold to centex, guess they are back now. they always promised us they would never sell to trugreen, lol.. but they sold us off to worse.. and i ended right back up at trugreen.

which JDL do you go to now? i am gonna just keep going to the one in kennesaw. not to happy with JDL, but really.. not sure what other options there are. i can go way out to cartersville and checkout southern states. i hear howards is good, but alpharetta is far from me.
Villa Rica branch is very knowledgable. Ask for Chris.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 08:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
which location is this?? i used to work for king green back in the day before they sold to centex, guess they are back now. they always promised us they would never sell to trugreen, lol.. but they sold us off to worse.. and i ended right back up at trugreen.

which JDL do you go to now? i am gonna just keep going to the one in kennesaw. not to happy with JDL, but really.. not sure what other options there are. i can go way out to cartersville and checkout southern states. i hear howards is good, but alpharetta is far from me.
Ball Ground, on hwy 5 just north of Airport Drive is the King Green Location that used to be a JDL. King Green has only been in the building about a year. JDL closed down in '09 come to think of it.

I go to the JDL off Mcfarland pkwy in Alpharetta/Milton. It's right near my office for my 9-5 job so I usually stop by there during lunch to pickup fert and supplies since it's convenient. I may think about buying all my fert for the summer in the early spring next year to see if I can save a little money. I do this on the side too just like you.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythium View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if it did. I hate JDL. Service sucks and the knowledge of the guys that work there is terrible, well at least my branch.
I was at HD last night grabbing a few things and decided to stop by the garden center to figure out my confusion because it was driving me nuts. The Lesco 0-0-7 HD sells is Pendamethalin as the AI and doesn't contain Dimension. The Lesco Dimension 0-0-7 I got from JDL was obviously Dithiopyr (checked the bag since I had a little left over). The Lesco 19-0-7 that HD sells contains Dimension(Dithiopyr).
Old 10-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Sponsor

am i trying to charge to much?

You can set up tiered pricing thorough our system that will allow for you to be more competitive on larger properties. Acculawnsystems.com
Old 10-19-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

how much was the 19-0-7 with dimension??

i went to JDL a minute ago and picked up 3 bags of stonewall for a bit over 16 per bag. much better.. but not cheap as some of you are getting. i paid 25 dollars per bag for pretty much the same thing last time at the local garden center. it was pennington 0-0-7 with barricade.

any ideas how much the price goes up when the pre-emergent has a higher nitrogen fert with it??

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
I was at HD last night grabbing a few things and decided to stop by the garden center to figure out my confusion because it was driving me nuts. The Lesco 0-0-7 HD sells is Pendamethalin as the AI and doesn't contain Dimension. The Lesco Dimension 0-0-7 I got from JDL was obviously Dithiopyr (checked the bag since I had a little left over). The Lesco 19-0-7 that HD sells contains Dimension(Dithiopyr).
Old 10-19-2012, 12:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
how much was the 19-0-7 with dimension??

i went to JDL a minute ago and picked up 3 bags of stonewall for a bit over 16 per bag. much better.. but not cheap as some of you are getting. i paid 25 dollars per bag for pretty much the same thing last time at the local garden center. it was pennington 0-0-7 with barricade.

any ideas how much the price goes up when the pre-emergent has a higher nitrogen fert with it??
The 19-0-7 w/ Dimension at HD is $48 per bag

That's about right for the Stonewall 0-0-7. I paid 18 per bag a few weeks ago.

For my early April Pre-emerge & fert app, I put down Lesco Dimension 25-0-10 from JDL that I pay around $38 per bag (this is my lowest margin app of the year obviously).
Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i just put out stonewall on my own yard.. man this stuff is the grainiest crap i've used so far.. almost like sand. used my calibration key.. on setting "14" started to make a pass, way to much comming out.. so i backed down to what i thought looked better.. i ended up getting down roughly 4.5lbs per k because i know how big my lawn is, and i measured what i had left. but, how do i use the calibration key?? when i measure the holes with the key should the "14" be visible above the hole, or hiding in the hole?? i feel like this is something i am just not clear on.. lol. stupid question for the day. i could ask the JDL guy, but he probaly doesn't know either

yeah, i was definetly not expecting those rounds to be profitable either, 38 is about what i thought, think they quoted me that over the phone on the same product over the winter when i called one day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
The 19-0-7 w/ Dimension at HD is $48 per bag

That's about right for the Stonewall 0-0-7. I paid 18 per bag a few weeks ago.

For my early April Pre-emerge & fert app, I put down Lesco Dimension 25-0-10 from JDL that I pay around $38 per bag (this is my lowest margin app of the year obviously).
Old 10-19-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
i just put out stonewall on my own yard.. man this stuff is the grainiest crap i've used so far.. almost like sand. used my calibration key.. on setting "14" started to make a pass, way to much comming out.. so i backed down to what i thought looked better.. i ended up getting down roughly 4.5lbs per k because i know how big my lawn is, and i measured what i had left. but, how do i use the calibration key?? when i measure the holes with the key should the "14" be visible above the hole, or hiding in the hole?? i feel like this is something i am just not clear on.. lol. stupid question for the day. i could ask the JDL guy, but he probaly doesn't know either

yeah, i was definetly not expecting those rounds to be profitable either, 38 is about what i thought, think they quoted me that over the phone on the same product over the winter when i called one day.
Yep, the granules are very small and it goes fast if you don't recalibrate. IIRC the total sq ft per bag is less than the typical 12500 that you get out of dimension and regular lesco fert. I'm assuming you're running a Lesco spreader, you should be able to find a pdf of the owners manual and it will give you the calibration instructions. Rittenhouse has a pdf available.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 24-0-11 dimension this spring at $20 bag. Also bought 20+ pallets.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGaPineStraw View Post
I pay $12 a bag for 0-0-7...$25 is over double. I price close to what you do. I never have a problem with closing the deal. I could care less what the big boys are charging.
Posted via Mobile Device
who are you getting fert from? I have been using Howard great price on Pre-M and 12$ cheaper then JDL. I have just been asked to bid 40acres of property not all lawn but it does have a great deal of sod. Its in poor shape lots of grassy weeds. I will use GoIlawns to measure. PM me

Training them early