Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm starting to look too and the only thing I have decided on now is I definitely want a goose neck...
Old 10-16-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well it seems you really need to know your trucks numbers along with trailer numbers if you plan on carrying a lot of weight. Im kind of confused now that I'm looking at different size trailers.

Just as an example, I googled "deck over dump trailers." From what some guys have posted here, that type seems to be the best due to the height of the deck for dumping or wheelbarrowing stuff out of it. At any rate, I came across this chart. My mind says that the longer the trailer the more it can hold. The more it can hold the heavier the weight. So why is it that some of the shorter length trailers can haul more weight? Take for example the first trailer versus the third trailer in this chart......
Attached Images
File Type: pdf eck Over Dump Trailer2.pdf (157.2 KB, 22 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The trailer itself weighs more as it is 7ft wide vs 6ft and is probably the start of the heavy duty line of their trailers. Thicker frames maybe?

With the deckover version of my trailer 7x14 vs 8x14 14k the payload is about 400# less. It has a wider bed so it just weighs more.

Deckover weights 4140lbs

Standard low profile 3600lbs

So it just depends on how the trailer is made up. A heavy duty trailer will probably take abuse better if it does have a thicker frame and more heavy duty parts. The light duty version may also have smaller lift cylinders too. Just get all the details before you buy.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
The trailer itself weighs more as it is 7ft wide vs 6ft and is probably the start of the heavy duty line of their trailers. Thicker frames maybe?

With the deckover version of my trailer 7x14 vs 8x14 14k the payload is about 400# less. It has a wider bed so it just weighs more.

Deckover weights 4140lbs

Standard low profile 3600lbs

So it just depends on how the trailer is made up. A heavy duty trailer will probably take abuse better if it does have a thicker frame and more heavy duty parts. The light duty version may also have smaller lift cylinders too. Just get all the details before you buy.
Yeah I thought about that after posting so Im glad you said that too.

I came across these trailer made by CAM Superline. They appear to be made very well. In fact, I think I have seen a lot of this brand around construction sites hauling backhoes and such.

Anyways, look at the PDF and compare trailer #3 to trailer #4. The exact same size, same axle capacity, 60 pound weight difference but #4 can carry 780 more pounds. That's where I'm confused. The GVWR is also a difference of 1,870 pounds.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf CAM deck over.pdf (472.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-16-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
Yeah I thought about that after posting so Im glad you said that too.

I came across these trailer made by CAM Superline. They appear to be made very well. In fact, I think I have seen a lot of this brand around construction sites hauling backhoes and such.

Anyways, look at the PDF and compare trailer #3 to trailer #4. The exact same size, same axle capacity, 60 pound weight difference but #4 can carry 780 more pounds. That's where I'm confused. The GVWR is also a difference of 1,870 pounds.
They added aboot 12% toungue weight to the GVWR of #4.

EW difference might be a difference in the jack or something similiar. Or it was simply a different weight when they weighed a sample trailer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Larger wheels & tires that may have more capacity....?

Last edited by MDLawn; 10-16-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

eh, who knows.

Basically from what you all have said I should be looking at; 12 feet long minimum not 10 feet, deck over body so you can load a wheelbarrow at the back edge, dual hydro cylinders or scissor lift with single hydro, dual use gate.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post
eh, who knows.

Basically from what you all have said I should be looking at; 12 feet long minimum not 10 feet, deck over body so you can load a wheelbarrow at the back edge, dual hydro cylinders or scissor lift with single hydro, dual use gate.
My "Low Profile" loads fine. The wheel barrows just squeak underneath. It really depends on the use. If you do so much work that requires you hauling pallets then yes deck over fold down side is where its at for loading. Either way you'll be fine. If you were loading a piece of equipment everyday a drop axle lower deck height would be better. Thats why I went in between, because I wasn't sure. But yes 12ft+, heavy duty version, I'd say scissor lift but it's just my belief they are stronger. Also think about power up/power down vs. power up/gravity down. I just prefer gravity down.

Cam is a good brand along with Bri-Mar. But so are others and there are also junk ones. Price will tell you that when most new heavy duty trailers are in the $7K+ mark. I've been quite impressed with my Sure-Trac and there are on TON of them around my neck of the woods.

Good luck searching!
Old 10-16-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
My "Low Profile" loads fine. The wheel barrows just squeak underneath. It really depends on the use. If you do so much work that requires you hauling pallets then yes deck over fold down side is where its at for loading. Either way you'll be fine. If you were loading a piece of equipment everyday a drop axle lower deck height would be better. Thats why I went in between, because I wasn't sure. But yes 12ft+, heavy duty version, I'd say scissor lift but it's just my belief they are stronger. Also think about power up/power down vs. power up/gravity down. I just prefer gravity down.

Cam is a good brand along with Bri-Mar. But so are others and there are also junk ones. Price will tell you that when most new heavy duty trailers are in the $7K+ mark. I've been quite impressed with my Sure-Trac and there are on TON of them around my neck of the woods.

Good luck searching!
Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Larger wheels & tires that may have more capacity....?
See post 15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.