Register free!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Set up help for high volume apps

I've got a good base of weed and fertilizer accounts and I'm looking to upsale and add new services. All our weed apps are low volume. I'm hoping to use the winter to fine tune programs and get certifications.

Mosquitos - I'm getting the study manuals and will hopefully get certified before next year. I plan on using a backpack mister for this applications.

Fungicide/insecticides - don't do much of this bit am going to add it to my program description in hopes of getting some. I currently use a backpack. I can't get enough volume with a back pack so looking for some advice.

Tree and shrub - this is something I'm really trying to think about and educate myself. If added I'm thinking a motorized backpack for starters.

Fire ant -- would push top choice or mound treatments. Mound treatments would be powder unless I had the equipment. With proper equipment could even do multiple apps of bifenthein or other chemical

So you can see I'm at a cross roads. I could really use a high volume piece of equipment. I've thought about a skid but don't have a spare truck for only this set up. I thought about contacting the local pest company in hopes that they may have a truck they would like to sell that already has the tanks motor and hose.

Any tips or ideas for this guy in need of high volume apps?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your going to need a skid. No question about it. We just picked up a 55 gallon northstar skid sprayer that has been used very little. Bought it for 990 bucks. It's got a Honda motor and a comet diaphragm pump. Mainly going to be using it for non selective ( gravel parking lots ect)

You could use something like that along with a jd9 for trees and shrubs and everything else if its calibrated right.

Skids are meant to be taken in and out. So if your doing monthly or every other month apps your only going to be taking it out and putting it in once every 1-2 months. 55 gallons is small for non selective stuff. But not when you have as many accounts as you do. It will be a good starter unit. If you ever grow, you can jut put a bigger tank on it. If your doing trees just go ahead and get a diaphragm pump over a roller.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

do you spot treat weeds only or blanket app with backpack?? i've been spot treating only with good results, but was gonna try to blanket spray from my backpack at .5 gallon per 1,000 sq. ft. i don't have anything over 6k yet, i usually bid a little high on the larger lawns (meaning, i do not lower my price per 1,000 sq. ft. for larger lawns like most seem to do in the area),haven't had any takers.

i'm holding out on a skid sprayer till mabee 2014, but looking at these http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKID-SPRAYER...item4aaaea264f on ebay, they are a company in macon, GA and they custom build.. talked to the guy a few time he seems pretty nice. was pricing them at JDL, they are just to much there its just hard to find them used around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
I've got a good base of weed and fertilizer accounts and I'm looking to upsale and add new services. All our weed apps are low volume. I'm hoping to use the winter to fine tune programs and get certifications.

Mosquitos - I'm getting the study manuals and will hopefully get certified before next year. I plan on using a backpack mister for this applications.

Fungicide/insecticides - don't do much of this bit am going to add it to my program description in hopes of getting some. I currently use a backpack. I can't get enough volume with a back pack so looking for some advice.

Tree and shrub - this is something I'm really trying to think about and educate myself. If added I'm thinking a motorized backpack for starters.

Fire ant -- would push top choice or mound treatments. Mound treatments would be powder unless I had the equipment. With proper equipment could even do multiple apps of bifenthein or other chemical

So you can see I'm at a cross roads. I could really use a high volume piece of equipment. I've thought about a skid but don't have a spare truck for only this set up. I thought about contacting the local pest company in hopes that they may have a truck they would like to sell that already has the tanks motor and hose.

Any tips or ideas for this guy in need of high volume apps?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I actually live in Macon ga and have looked at those sprayers before. A new on from northern just like I have is only 1799.99. The one tht he is selling is not much cheaper and it has a junk Briggs engine that is not ohv (harder to start) and a roller pump. I can start my Honda ohv with two fingers on the first pull. And when it's in the back of a truck bed that's something to consider.

If your going to pay that much you may as well buy a diaphragm and a Honda engine as well as a tank and make your own skid. For the motor and pump you would be looking right at 1200 or so.

You would have a way better foundation to grow with .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Why can't you put a 200 or 300 gallon space saver behind the cab of your truck?

When you aren't using it to spray with it's great to load the lawn sprayer with.

I have a 300 gallon sprayer that takes up half my bed behind cab and tow a 20 foot enclosed trailer with everything else in that.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

thanks guys.

I'm a one truck operation for apps and mowing now. So if I put a skid or space saver in the bed I will need room for blowers, back packs, etc. I can load and unload but might need something that one guy can do since I don't have a forklift. Mabey I could build a table at bed height that I could slide it on.

So hopefully I can research now and pre sale a lot of these apps in Jan/Feb, so when the spring gets here I can have a set up configured. Sure would be nice if I could sell enough to afford a second truck that I could run a permanent space saver or skid out of!!
Old 10-13-2012, 03:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://www.reddick.cc/b2.htm

Here is a company that sells alot of ag tanks and equipment. It may be closer than I lesco dealer(I'm not familiar with them and never used them. There isn't one in my town).
Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

http://shop.reddickequipment.com/All-Sprayers_c2.htm

here's a better link to what they have. You can go and select different tanks and then options.... pump size, guns, hose lengths and diameters, etc.... then it will give you a price based on your selections. Pretty nice, but not sure about the pricing.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Buy a small trailer for it. Its a hassle some times to load and unload several times a week. Just make sure the trailer has 3500 pound axle so it can hold the weight.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You can put a space saver type sprayer in and still have half the bed for blowers and misc. or maybe attach those to your trailer somehow.

Unless you have a half ton truck or something.