Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Member

nurse tank for t3000

I've got a question that I am confused on for some reason, I think Im making it to complicated. I carry a t3000 and a 300 gallon skid unit with me in my trailer. I was wondering if im mixing 3way in my t3000 at 1.5oz/1000sf and that's the same mixing ratio I use to fill the 300 gal. skid can i use the mix in the skid to refill my t3000? Wil;l it be correct? Thanks for your help
Old 10-16-2012, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

You need to calibrate both and see what rate each is applying. I'm going to step out on a limb here and say your T is applying something like 1/4- 1/3 gal per thousand. Your skid is probably applying something like 2 gallons per thousand. Can you mix for the T in the skid and pump into the T using the skid as a nurse tank? Sure. Can you mix for the T in the skid and use it in the T on one stop, then go to the next stop and spray the lawn out of the skid? Only if the skid is spraying at the same rate as the T... If what I have said here confuses you, you might want to refresh yourself on equipment calibration and rate calculations.

Mixes for lower volume apps will always be a higher concentrated mix than a higher volume application. They are not interchangeable but the higher volume/lower concentration mix can be modified(made stronger) so it can be applied from a low volume piece of equipment by adding chemical. Likewise, you can modify a low volume mix to be applied higher volume by adding water/carrier.

Simplified: If your T sprays 1/4 gal per 1000 and your skid sprays 2 gal per 1000, the mix to spray from the T would be 8 times stronger than the mix to spray from the skid.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ted is right.
And it is true you can use the skid sprayer to spray weeds and then use it to fill your T-3000. You then have to add additional herbicide to the T-3000 tank. Suppose you usually use 60 ounces of herbicide in the 20 gal T-3000 tank, covering 60,000 sqft.
Suppose you use 2 gallons per thousand sqft in with your skid sprayer tank. Each gallon contains a half-ounce of herbicide. A 20 gallon fill up would contain 10 ounces of herbicide. Subtract this from the 60 ounces you would usually use. You need to fill with 50 ounces of additional herbicide.
Save the brain sweat--make a fill chart using an Excel spreadsheet. Keep a copy in your truck.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok thanks guys. That's what I thought I just couldn't conformity in my mind for some reason, making it to complicated I guess. Yes my T is calibrated at .25/1000 and skid is 2g/1000. Making a chart for such a situation is a good idea. Thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No offense but this is the kind of thing you should know and not be confused on.

Ever.

How someone has a T3000 and a spray license and can't figure this out is beyond me.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Cadzilla,
My friend I have been in business over 20 years, I'm positive I know what I am doing. The answer to the question that I asked was what I thought it was, but I wanted confirmation, as I am new to low volume ride on's and this topic was in debate with a friend. Most people, if they take the time to post a question its because they are seeking an answer or guidance. If you have nothing positive to add to a persons online conversation, then stay out of it.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCaldwell View Post
If you have nothing positive to add to a persons online conversation, then stay out of it.
Gotta love the newbs... Good luck with that one on here.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am new to this website and new to low volume spraying as well, but I am wondering wouldn't the label recommended coverage per/k have something to do with any recommendations being made?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

never mind above post from me just reread first post.....
Old 10-17-2012, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Back in 2004 when I got my first ride-on, I had never sprayed low volume. I knew nothing of this site. I found myself running numbers in the calculator 6-7 times before filling because I was scared to death I would smoke peoples lawns. I didn't have anyone else to ask to get reassurance that I was doing the right thing. This site allows you to do that(which in some ways is good). However, at times it can be an easy alternative to brainstorming it yourself. That can be good or bad.
Some may think that you have not put enough thought into it. You may get some comments to that effect.
If you ask questions here, you may be opening yourself to criticism. Think before you ask, grow some thick skin and be prepared for possible backlash...

That's Ted's Tip of the Day.