Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

They take everyone elses prices for their own. They don't know how to price their time or services using the proper formula for profitability. Most aren't organized and don't even have the cash for repairs. I guess they just go in blind with out any business experience behind them.
Br600
89 Chevy Silverado 1500 4x4
5x10 Trailer
Old 10-16-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

read some of the questions on here and you will see why.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

most lawn guys are idiots!!!

here is one of the few things i remember from college that one professor said:

Just because someone is an excellent plumber, doesnt mean he knows the first thing about running a plumbing business.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherlawnguy View Post
most lawn guys are idiots!!!

here is one of the few things i remember from college that one professor said:

Just because someone is an excellent plumber, doesnt mean he knows the first thing about running a plumbing business.
Couldnt have said it any better!!!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This may be different in different areas, but usually when I pick up a lawn that another LCO was servicing, it isn't because of price or quality, it's because they weren't dependable.

A lawn is a reflection on the people who live there, and a lot of people get embarrassed if their lawn looks like crap. They don't care if your truck broke down, your mower is in the shop, your dog is sick or your wife left you. All they know is their lawn looks like crap! Most customers will understand if you get backed up a little because it rained for a week now an then. But what they want is consistency...knowing when you're going to cut their lawn so they can wind up the hose and bring in the laundry and pick up the doggy bombs and have a nice neat lawn that they can be proud of.

Sure, some people don't care that much about their lawn and just want it cut often enough to not get cited under the municipal blight ordinance, but if you can't keep a schedule you're not going to keep your customers no matter how good your quality and price are.

Last edited by Darryl G; 10-17-2012 at 09:01 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-17-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They spend all their time in the LS political forum cackling like hens instead of working. Oh wait, that's right, most of those guys don't even work in this field.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
read some of the questions on here and you will see why.
Perfect answer.

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the real answer is because they aren't me! they aren't responsible enough, they aren't reliable enough, they aren't professional enough and they don't know how to estimate, so they just underbid they do get work, but it doesn't last long. and they don't want it enough, they think they can just jump in the ring and box, some can, some can't. same goes with tree work, there is a probably over 100 new tree services in side of the river alone since the october storm. most of them have what they have on credit, and when the storm work dries up, they will be selling all the equipment they financed, and if they are lucky they will sell it for enough to pay off what they owe. vs. someone who started with landscaping and worked hard for 4 or 5 years and saved up the money to buy a bucket truck and chipper and the other necessary equipment to start a tree service. who paid cash and won't lose anything if work slows down, because he is smart and has the landscaping and hopefully snow plowing to keep him going when tree work is slow. i drove by a guy today he was cutting the lawn next to mine which i had just cut, they guy is in his 30's or 40's cutting the lawn which is full of leaves not bagging anything, just mulching them up and not doing a very good job of it, vs. me bagging the leaves and the grass in the fall my lawn looked perfect when i was done, his lawn still covered and leaves and looks better then it did before he cut it but still like crap. i know the only reason he is doing the account still is his price is cheap, i actually got one of his accounts because he hit a light pole snow plowing and never replaced, and he wouldn't cut the grass shorter in the fall time which I do. as soon as i got it the account the old lady who is very nice btw, said the old guy was doing it for 35 can you do it for that, i said no this lawn is too big its a 40 dollar lawn for me. and she pays me 40 every week to cut vs. the 35 he was getting to do it bi-weekly.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It's really hard to read your posts dude. Maybe it's just me, but when sentences are 5 lines long, no paragraph structure and funky punctuation, it's just hard to read for me. Not trying to pick on you or anything, but I get part way through and my eyes start crossing, lol.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

inspiring. i'm starting up, with a family, with a house.. not much debt at all though besides a small house payment. the wife works.. i'd be happy to make myself 600 a month after expenses to supplement my wifes income a little so i can really work on making it a full time gig then try to grow.

my overnight job is f'n killing me. i've slept about 5 hours today, going in for a 12 hour shift, and my schedule is full for tommorow with some lawn care work.. lol. the staying awake 30+ hrs straight is no good. i wish i would have started this when i was young like you i was to busy partying and trying to be a rockstar.......... lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
i've been doing this since 2004, i was in high school with little bills to pay, actually none except car insurance when i turned 16 and had a truck, then gas for that, and gas for the mower and trimmer and blower, and i did all that and had some fun money with the few lawns i did. then i went to school in from 06-07 then in 08 i said efff school in the spring time and went back to landscaping part time and worked with another landscaper, then in spring of 2010 i didn't go back to work for that company and i only did my lawns for that whole season, wasn't legit didn't advertise, it was tight but i payed all my bills on time, put gas in everything and had some money left over for fun, then in 2011 i registered became legit, got insurance, and started advertising and doubled if not tripled the work i had, and everything was fine, plenty of money to pay my bills, no issues going out like a normal 22 year every weekend, winter was fine too because we had that october storm so i bought a chipper in november and that made me a ton of money, enough to where i took my first vacation in probably 14 or 15 years. and this year i have grown an a lot over 5x the amount of business from last year, more advertising and more networking, a lot more chipping and wood removal jobs still thanks to the oct. 31 storm, new mower in june paid in full, new bagger oct. 1st paid in full, new leaf plow, and all new tires on the truck, the trailer, everything is coming along nicely. next year if i can double again i will be estatic, and probably hopefully buying a house and paying it off within 5 years or so if things go halfway as planned. also my revenue from snow plowing is expected to increase 100-150% this year, and i turned down a lot commercial work already this year. so that is how you don't fail, you make sure its going to work before you jump in head first! that is a start of how you make in the business.