Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Here the water table is very high especially near the bay and ocean. The pool installers have to put in some kind of relief so the pools dont pop out of the ground. Jim might know the technical term.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Here the water table is very high especially near the bay and ocean. The pool installers have to put in some kind of relief so the pools dont pop out of the ground. Jim might know the technical term.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hydrostatic Relief Valves
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
Hydrostatic Relief Valves
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks buddy
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-16-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I worked at a sewer treatment and at a water treatment facility when i worked heavy construction. Interestingly enough they both used similar filtration techniques.

Precast concrete troughs were suspended about 10 feet above concrete separation grates. These grates were covered by layered filtration fabrics and mediums to the level of the troughs.

The water was forced through the fabrics and mediums, capturing suspended solid particals and the filtered water was moved via the troughs to the holding tanks for further treatment.

The filtration building was just part of the purification process but the chemist said the water was basically potable at that point.

Point being, filter gravel in ML's cistern is treating the water but to a lessor degree.
Not too bad Boss.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowingman View Post
I get a real kick out of this, "Rainwater Harvesting System", talk. Like this is something new for environmentalists to brag about.
Can anyone remember the good old "cistern" at farms all across the country?
sure is a big holding tank for a place that gets, what, maybe 10" of rain in a wet year.
The less rain an area gets the bigger the tanks and catch area needs to be. This way when it does rain you can catch and store a whole lot of it.

No point in installing a 2,500 gal tank that will run the system twice when it only rains 10 times a year. On the other hand a 2,500 gal tank is fine if it rains once a week.

All of this being said, looks good!
Old 10-17-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Pretty cool. My son did a science project 10 years ago on the storm water collection systems the county installed. They were similar to catch basins but had separate compartments to collect debris. Turns out the county did not have the money in place to clean them. When my son inquired about that issue they stated it had to be handled as hazardous waste and the money was not available. I chuckled when my son said so basically in a heavy rain the basins flush hazardous waste into the environment. The
Guys expression was priceless but none the less he agreed. My son received an A for the project and a letter of commendation from the County environmental office for bringing it To the their attention. I am sure the guys installing these tanks have it figured out.
Collection basin or not, any drainage off of hardscape (in this case roads and parking lots) is polluting the environment. Don't understand why it took a kid to point this out.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Collection basin or not, any drainage off of hardscape (in this case roads and parking lots) is polluting the environment. Don't understand why it took a kid to point this out.
It's because the people that make the rules sit in offices all day. The way they got to that office was by working for the city/state. This means they have never been financially responsible for there "utoohhs" or leaving a line item out of a bid. Because they have never had to fork over the Benjamin's they have never had to think ahead to the next day, week, or year.

That's the problem with government, we have over 50% of the workforce on the governments payroll. We are farming idiots. Sorry, still fired up after the debate.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take your politics to the political forum where it belongs.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe that's why we haven't seen Fimco lately. The political forum is calling to him....
Old 10-17-2012, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
How's the pumping system going to work?
Submersible pump installed at the bottom of the tank. This one is dual plumbed with city water controlled by MV's that activate pump or city water depending on tank water level.