Register free!

Old 10-16-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Arena for chinchbugs

Anybody used Arena for chinchbugs? Reading the label says if you use it at high rate you can only apply one time (most effective in spring with nyphms). Does the 1 treatment control them all year? any help would be great.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i use it and it works great.. been using it for a 2 yrs now..
Old 10-16-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

End of chinch bug season. The chinch bugs nymphs do the damage as the sucked on the stolons and vomit back into the plant. Thatvis what causesvthe plant to die. The adults are too busy making babies to feed so they do nit kill st Augustine grass. The neonicotinoids enter as a systemic when the nymph feeds he dies. Imadicloprid takes six weeks to getvinto the plant that's why it works for some and not others. Put it out in June and guess what. Babies already eating and learning how to mate. Put it out in April. Its in the plant before they feed.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bug_guy View Post
End of chinch bug season. The chinch bugs nymphs do the damage as the sucked on the stolons and vomit back into the plant. Thatvis what causesvthe plant to die. The adults are too busy making babies to feed so they do nit kill st Augustine grass. The neonicotinoids enter as a systemic when the nymph feeds he dies. Imadicloprid takes six weeks to getvinto the plant that's why it works for some and not others. Put it out in June and guess what. Babies already eating and learning how to mate. Put it out in April. Its in the plant before they feed.
OP, I think bug guy has given you some accurate and valuable advice here but failed to mention the most important thing in the IPM approach (I PAY Materials), the dominon /bifenthrin combo is going to cost you much much less per K.

We do not have a huge issue in my immediate area with the resistant chinch yet the last thing I heard, so most companies here are still not using arena unless a know infestation (population higher than acceptable thresholds) is already on the property.

To answer your question about if it offering year round control at the high rate. I have been told by many that they would not count on it with their customers lawns. Again Buy Guy mentioned SEASON...in our environment chinch bug can be present in the lawns anytime during the year.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 10-17-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
OP, I think bug guy has given you some accurate and valuable advice here but failed to mention the most important thing in the IPM approach (I PAY Materials), the dominon /bifenthrin combo is going to cost you much much less per K.

We do not have a huge issue in my immediate area with the resistant chinch yet the last thing I heard, so most companies here are still not using arena unless a know infestation (population higher than acceptable thresholds) is already on the property.

To answer your question about if it offering year round control at the high rate. I have bee told by many that they would not count on it with their customers lawns. Again Buy Guy mentioned SEASON...in our environment chinch bug can be present in the lawns anytime during the year.
IPM is the name of the game. When arena and aloft first hit UF recommended once every two to three years. Then it was once a year now the sales people trying to push twice a year. IMO THE REASON THEY BECAME RESISTANT IS THE APPLICATOR not putting down the proper amount of chemical with recommended amount of water. IE 10 GALS PER K. Treating chinch bugs at that rate with bifen will eliminate the nymphs cause u get into the thatch. These compaines that are using 1 to 3 gals per k and then tell the customer to water it in are the problem. I am old school. I think Ric is the only one older then me that is still actively spraying lawns. My customers refer to me as that old guy that knows his s____

Last edited by the_bug_guy; 10-17-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: adding
Old 10-17-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenThumb11 View Post
Anybody used Arena for chinchbugs? Reading the label says if you use it at high rate you can only apply one time (most effective in spring with nyphms). Does the 1 treatment control them all year? any help would be great.
The only thing I might add to The Bug Guy's post is Mole Cricket and Grub control. Arena is a Great product in the fact it controls a Broad Spectrum of Insects. If you follow The Bug Guys advice on timing, you also control Mole Crickets and Grubs. BTW a Real big Problem in my area.

Both Mole Crickets and Grubs are more susceptable to Insecticides as Nyphms. But Mole Cricket become even harder to control as they Get older. Each area has a BEST DATE to apply Mole Cricket Controls and That date will vary from year to year depending on the Weather. If your Local supplier doesn't have a good recommenation Date. Ask the Local Golf Course Super, He WILL KNOW.

Panama City is 200 miles North of me, so my application date will be a lot earlier than yours.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

my main reason for using arena was for grubs.. chinch bug control was a freebie...
Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for replies. We have been able to control chinch bugs with bifen for quick knockdown and imidiacloprid for long residual but have to make several apps. This year wasn't so bad for chinch bugs as past 2 years but sod webworms were everywhere! Just curious how arena has worked for the ones that have used them
Old 10-17-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

applied arena granular for one customer with sod webworm infestation in early august at 2 lbs per 1000. didnt seem to do much came back two weeks later with liquid bifen which stopped them. i think they were ending their generation cycle, maybe. two weeks ago another generation started coming on strong in certain areas of the island i live on. first customer with the arena bifen app did not have noticable damage but another customer was starting to be attacked. applied arena at 3 lb give or take per 1000 about week and a half ago. yards around his had severe moth eaten patches as of yesterday, very little damge to his. heavy infestation responds well to higher rate it seems.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds912 View Post
applied arena granular for one customer with sod webworm infestation in early august at 2 lbs per 1000. didnt seem to do much came back two weeks later with liquid bifen which stopped them. i think they were ending their generation cycle, maybe. two weeks ago another generation started coming on strong in certain areas of the island i live on. first customer with the arena bifen app did not have noticable damage but another customer was starting to be attacked. applied arena at 3 lb give or take per 1000 about week and a half ago. yards around his had severe moth eaten patches as of yesterday, very little damge to his. heavy infestation responds well to higher rate it seems.
to kill sodweb worm u have to use a liquid app. granular's take way to long and not a high kill ratio. sodweb worms u can almost pee on them and kill the. a back pack sprayer and bifen will do the trick over night