Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Best Blades?

hey everyone, i was wondering what were the best blades out there? ive heard gator blades were pretty good, but i have no idea. I mostly mow fescue mix grass if that makes any difference. I have a scag 36" SW. Thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer stand high lift blades in 95% of mowing situations, no matter what grass.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 10-17-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

high lifts will stripe the best hands down. gator blades suck, but oregon has some new G6 blades out that look like gator blades. they are a high lift design(not quite as much as standard high lifts), stripe ok, and are EXCELLENT at chopping up clippings. I love how these blades chop everything up first pass no matter how tall the grass is. zero clumping too. I have both high lifts and the g6 blades, normally run the high lifts for the striping but i do like the way the g6's obliterate the clippings
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I recently got a set of the G6 blades for my Turf Tracer and I really like them too. They are a bit noisy when running and I'm getting pelted with little pieces of debris that a I think are blowing out from in front of the mower and bouncing off my JRCO mounting bar, but they provide the best balance of cut quality, striping, mulching ability and discharge force of any blade I've tried. They also hold an edge well. I thought about putting them on my Lazer too but I was afraid that I'd get too much blowout when using them with my Ultravac for fall cleanups. I am not experiencing the clumping issues that are common with the standard Gator blades. In fact my deck is staying much cleaner than with standard high lift blades and I have the Trivantage deck which is prone to clogging up in dense damp/wet grass.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This is just like asking about best mowers, blowers or trimmers. There are no best blades. Everybody has different requirements that change depending on conditions. For example all of last year I used Gator G6 blades. They worked great. In the first half of this year they worked great again but then our normally dry weather turned rainy. Crabgrass and Killinga, neither of which are normally a problem, kicked into high gear on the growth scale. I had to take the G6 blades off and put regular lift blades on. The G6 blades were just turning the Crabgrass and Killinga to mush.

I would try some different blades to find out which ones work best for you. And don't let conventional setups be the only thing you try. There are also combinations of different blades on the same deck, some neato accessories (check out Magic Mulchers from Dixie Chopper, they'll work with almost any blade out there) as well as X blades and double blades.

So far I've tried double blades in several different configurations:

1: 2 sets of regular lift.
2: Hi lift on the bottom and regular on top.
3: 2 sets of hi lifts'
4: Regular Gators on the bottom with both hi and regular lifts on the top.
5: Gator Magnums with " ".
6: Regular Gators and Gator Magnums by themselves.
7: A hi lift on the left blade with 2 Gators in the center and discharge
8: 20.5" hi lifts on the bottom with 16" regular blades on top.

The list of combos goes on and on. And I've liked most of them.

Old 10-17-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if the g6 blades actually provided as much lift as normal high lifts, they'd be the perfect blade for side discharging IMO. there is more blowout but their discharging capability is unmatched and the way they disperse onto the yard.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
This is just like asking about best mowers, blowers or trimmers. There are no best blades. Everybody has different requirements that change depending on conditions. For example all of last year I used Gator G6 blades. They worked great. In the first half of this year they worked great again but then our normally dry weather turned rainy. Crabgrass and Killinga, neither of which are normally a problem, kicked into high gear on the growth scale. I had to take the G6 blades off and put regular lift blades on. The G6 blades were just turning the Crabgrass and Killinga to mush.

I would try some different blades to find out which ones work best for you. And don't let conventional setups be the only thing you try. There are also combinations of different blades on the same deck, some neato accessories (check out Magic Mulchers from Dixie Chopper, they'll work with almost any blade out there) as well as X blades and double blades.

So far I've tried double blades in several different configurations:

1: 2 sets of regular lift.
2: Hi lift on the bottom and regular on top.
3: 2 sets of hi lifts'
4: Regular Gators on the bottom with both hi and regular lifts on the top.
5: Gator Magnums with " ".
6: Regular Gators and Gator Magnums by themselves.
7: A hi lift on the left blade with 2 Gators in the center and discharge
8: 20.5" hi lifts on the bottom with 16" regular blades on top.

The list of combos goes on and on. And I've liked most of them.
I've run gator/high lift combo before for leaves...acts as shredder and blower at the same time. It will blow the next row almost clear of leaves and then mulch up what remains, leaving a winrow of leaves to mulch up when you get to the end of the area you're mowing.

I have run double high lifts when working in very wet condtions...you get a pale green mist coming out of your discharge and it sounds like a freaking helicopter.

I've tried other combos as well but those are the two I've found to be the most usefull for me.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sharp ones! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device