Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2012, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are wanting to start lawn mowing this time of year? Ask me again in late winter and I will give you my old azz advice.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Starting now is a great time. It will allow you to focus more on the back end of things. You can start by putting together your business plan. And should follow should be a some branding, marketing plans, and ways you will approach the mowing season as it comes. Good luck with you venture. It is never the wrong time to start my friend.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nismodude1988 View Post
hey guys im new here but lemme start off and tell yall bout me im 24 years old live in GA and im really wanting to get into the lawn business asap and eventually get enough accounts and quit my full time job but i need to start first so far i have made very nice front back and simple business cards passed them around im possibly gonna invest in some more marketing ideas but thats later possibly, as far as my equipment goes i have just purchased my first home last year and purposely waited to buy lawn equipment because im gonna prolly go with all Stihl commercial series that way i can use it for my house and business without it being a waste of money. as far as that goes i havent got any accounts yet cause its been 2 weeks but what push mower would u recommend for me to purchase since i dont really have any account i dont need a zero turn right now. my funds are decent so give me some good ideas right now all i have is a mclane 10 blade reel mower but theres no way thats leaving my yard lmao so id appreciate any tips on anything yall can think off cause im very serious about this thanks
Why you starting this time of year?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

I just thought if i bust my butt to get a few accounts then hopefully in the summer i can keep those accounts and slowly pick up more plus where i live leaves are covering people's lawns so i could do fall cleanup and other services
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hey nismo. return on investment for flyers is about 1%. this means if you pass 500 flyers you should get around 5 calls roughly. it doesnt hurt to bid low to start out. once you build up some clients you can charge a little more slowly slowly. well its good you already got the truck and trailer. good luck!
Old 10-18-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks alot recycledole yeah im not expecting alot of calls but id rathet get my name out there then around march do another round of advertising and put some in community magazine
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you can also try craigslist and a website
Old 10-19-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Would u recommend the kombi system with all the attachments for just starting out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

the kombi system is what i have. it has worked awesome so far. others on this site reccomend it also- they said theyve had it for years and it works great.- search for kombi on here.
the attatchments i have all the attatchments except for the powersweep, bristle brush, and power styche. i got the straight edger and string trimmer, not the curved one. i also got the articulating hedge trimmer, not the non- adjustable one. some of the work i have done (trimming the top of tall shrubs) would be impossible with a straight trimmer. i got the brush cutter, but wouldnt reccomend that unless you get a job specifically for it that you really need it. the only thing ive had trouble with is one attatchment i bought (cultivator) - the shaft part was messed up. meaning there is a solid piece of metal inside the shaft and it can get loose and not make contact properly. be relatively gentle when attatching the parts and make sure it engages all the way in. the tools have really been great. i have the km 130 R. its very powerful. usually doesnt need full throttle, but its nice for the blower, tiller, edger.. ok sir. best of luck on your business
thanks
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay sounds good one more question would u recomend me to go and buy a backpack br430 or use the kombi blower
Posted via Mobile Device