Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-17-2012, 06:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How effective is a website and how much does it cost?

Hey guys
I am intrested in knowing the effectiveness of a website?
Also, how much will it cost if i do it myself?

thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you can get hosting plans from 1and1 or godaddy for less than $8/month.... effectiveness is based on your location, I feel. We have one, and it's more of a "business card" than anything else for us.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
you can get hosting plans from 1and1 or godaddy for less than $8/month.... effectiveness is based on your location, I feel. We have one, and it's more of a "business card" than anything else for us.
Yep. Location is important. Around here it is not a very effective tool for attracting mowing business. Now for landscape installs people may check out a website. For mowing people tend to use a local company they know or get their neighbor's company. Referals are the best way to get business where I live.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 08:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

It's like anything else in that the most value comes via the best implementation. Some on here do a large majority of their lead gen via the web.

Cost-wise? If doing it yourself, it will range from $5 month hosting plus your time to whatever number you can come up with. It's no different than hiring a company to do a landscaping project. You'll see a wide range of price and quality, or lack thereof, and the overall implementation is key.

When it comes to some of the low-cost, DIY web builders out there, the problem we deal with in the web sub forum (take some time and read through the archives) is really bad code generation, less than ideal search rank, and so on. The biggest mistake most people make is having the Field of Dreams mentality, thinking that if you build it, the customers will come. Building and launching the site is only a fraction of the efforts needed, with getting your site actually found and ranking accounting for a larger percentage of the budget/time than most realize.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I would recommend getting a website built by a GOOD company. I thought of having myself or a designer for a local company design it on their off time but then I got to thinking how important a website was to me.... for me I compete in a market I don't live in, so just a basis site wasn't going to work.

What I did was looked around at other very successful small business's in my area, found out what web design company they used and went with the one I liked the best. Best investment I have ever made. Went from having no website to first landing on around page 20 in April 2012 to now this past week make it on page 1 of google in a metropolitan area of over half a million and 100's of lawn care companies, most with websites of some sort. I spent in upwards of $2,000 but the biggest reward will be this spring when my phone is ringing daily from having people searching for lawn care when the snow melts. Have already seen work this past month off of it. Most weeks I see a few calls from my website and are slowing graining in numbers.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A good website is only as effective as your marketing campaigns. Just because you have website does not mean people are gonna see it.
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 10-17-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A website is very important. These days a lot of people look online for services, etc. A website can range dramatically from doing it yourself to having a professional develop it.

I know of a guy on lawnsite that will give you a great deal. Good luck on your quest.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Look at http://www.ultrawebsitehosting.com/ The cost is only $2.95/month if you pay in advance for 4 years. I have used them for hosting for 3 years and have been very satisfied with their service. If you are going to be doing any selling off the site you would want to pay for some additional services to provide for secure transactions, but most of us do just fine without those extras.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We've had a stupid little web page, not even an actual site and we've generated more business from that than the phone book ever did. In fact, the sales lady for our phone book (very rude btw) was so pissed at us for not resigning our ad to the tune of 900 bucks because I told her the phone book is a thing of the past. We actually lost a nice business park because our site was so basic (or so they said,lol). This winter we're going to have a pro give us a new look via the www. The prices I got so far were 1100.00 to 2k to design it.

On our own as of 2003. Proud to be a full time, legitimate company.

Equipment we use:
Ford trucks
Pro Line and GatorMade trailer's
Gravely, Exmark, Honda and Snapper mower's
Echo trimmer's and blower's
LittleWonder equipment
BillyGoat equipment
New Holland and Dresser loader's (snow removal)
Fisher snow plow's
DownEaster and Fisher salt spreader's
TurboTurf fertilizer tank

http://jandblawncare.net
Old 10-17-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Tony is right here. I'd ask what is your goal? Is it to showcase what you have done and put on a business card so that it's a branding issue you? OR you really want it to generate business for you? If it's the later as it for most people it's going to cost something and there are "lowball" guys and overpriced guys just like in any business.

That said there are lots of things you can do for free, google places page, a facebook page, yelp, our site servicevines.com. With all those solutions when people google you're going to show up.

As has already been stated though there's a BIG difference in building a site, and doing the all the technical stuff that you need to do in order to get to the top of search results.