Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,036
Anyone use 46-0-0 UFLEXX for Fall App - results?

Wondering if anyone has used this product for a fall app on Northern Turfgrass.
What are your thoughts?
I am speaking of spreading as granular not melting. I will be using a PG.

Kicking around using this more economical product vs. the 33-0-5 100% slow release product I have been using.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-11-2012, 01:55 AM
KS_Grasscutter's Avatar
KS_Grasscutter KS_Grasscutter is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hutchinson, Kansas
Posts: 3,161
Last year I used granular 46 0 0. I don't recall if it was slow release at all. Woulda worked great if I didn't spread it at 4lbs per K. Had great spring green up, but WAY too much growth.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-11-2012, 07:25 AM
tilawn tilawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Marthasville Missouri
Posts: 112
Anyone use 46-0-0 UFLEXX for Fall App - results?

That's straight nitrogen! That will change your grass three or four shade of green darker almost overnight and you have to mow it every 3 days.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-11-2012, 12:00 PM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,036
I realize it is all urea, albeit stabilized.
And it wont cause excessive topgrowth this time of year. I am more concerned with feeding the winterization process of the plants. Thoughts?
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-14-2012, 08:54 AM
Greenie Greenie is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 102
I have been putting out a late fall application of Urea for over 10 years now - right around Thanksgiving depending on the weather.
From Purdue's Turf Tips:
"The late-fall or November application timing should be near or after the last mowing of the year, but while lawn is still green. Typically, there may be a month or more between your last mowing and the time the grass turns brown or goes under snow cover. Generally the first few weeks of November are when to apply. Earlier Purdue research suggests that the nitrogen must be taken-up by the plant before winter to be most effective. Therefore, a quick-release (or soluble nitrogen source) such as urea, ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, or ammonium sulfate is most effective. The target application rate for this November fertilization should be 0.5 to 1.0 lbs. N/1000 square feet."

I've had great luck, lawns have developed deeper roots, the turf is denser and there has never been a problem with mold or disease.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-14-2012, 06:38 PM
phillie's Avatar
phillie phillie is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: indianapolis, in
Posts: 845
I have looked into 46-0-0 for a winter app but it is somewhat a waste of money. If you are wanting to put out 1lb of N per K it is nearly impossible with this product as a granule especially in a ride-on. That would make your rate at 2lbs per k and most spreaders cannot go that low. With that said even though a 30-0-6 is a little more expensive per bag you will be able to put down correct rates for about the same amount of money per k. Another thing to think about is customer perception. If you are trying to put it down at 2lbs/k and they are used to seeing 3-5lbs/k they are going to question you and think you are skimping them. Just my opinion.
I agree that all mineral is the way to go for last apps so that the plant can absorb as much as possible before dormancy.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 PM
xtreem3d's Avatar
xtreem3d xtreem3d is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
I have been putting out a late fall application of Urea for over 10 years now - right around Thanksgiving depending on the weather.
From Purdue's Turf Tips:
"The late-fall or November application timing should be near or after the last mowing of the year, but while lawn is still green. Typically, there may be a month or more between your last mowing and the time the grass turns brown or goes under snow cover. Generally the first few weeks of November are when to apply. Earlier Purdue research suggests that the nitrogen must be taken-up by the plant before winter to be most effective. Therefore, a quick-release (or soluble nitrogen source) such as urea, ammonium nitrate, calcium nitrate, or ammonium sulfate is most effective. The target application rate for this November fertilization should be 0.5 to 1.0 lbs. N/1000 square feet."

I've had great luck, lawns have developed deeper roots, the turf is denser and there has never been a problem with mold or disease.
The deeper root growth isn't a result of straight Urea..correct?
__________________
The best way to predict your future is to create it.
Ground Effects LLC
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-14-2012, 10:49 PM
phillie's Avatar
phillie phillie is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: indianapolis, in
Posts: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
The deeper root growth isn't a result of straight Urea..correct?
I would say that is correct. A nice deep root system is a result of a few different things, usually not from just 1 thing. The point of the last app is to help the plant store carbs and nutrients over winter dormancy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-14-2012, 11:16 PM
xtreem3d's Avatar
xtreem3d xtreem3d is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 713
gotcha ..just read a study from some university (can't find the link ) basically dismissing a ratio of 1-2-1 1-3-1 ect because phosphorus remains in the soil longer than previously thought. Basically it thought you might only need it for new seed. Anybody have any thoughts?
Steve
__________________
The best way to predict your future is to create it.
Ground Effects LLC
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-15-2012, 12:48 AM
DA Quality Lawn & YS's Avatar
DA Quality Lawn & YS DA Quality Lawn & YS is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rochester, MN
Posts: 8,036
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
I have looked into 46-0-0 for a winter app but it is somewhat a waste of money. If you are wanting to put out 1lb of N per K it is nearly impossible with this product as a granule especially in a ride-on. That would make your rate at 2lbs per k and most spreaders cannot go that low. With that said even though a 30-0-6 is a little more expensive per bag you will be able to put down correct rates for about the same amount of money per k. Another thing to think about is customer perception. If you are trying to put it down at 2lbs/k and they are used to seeing 3-5lbs/k they are going to question you and think you are skimping them. Just my opinion.
I agree that all mineral is the way to go for last apps so that the plant can absorb as much as possible before dormancy.
True - did not think about my Mag being able to spread the UFLEXX. One bag covering 23K sq ft....that would be pretty thin. Suppose I could try a bag out (on my own lawn) and if it doesn't cover the best move on. I really think I am going to go as much mineral fert as possible this last app as the whole 'spring holdover' thing with slow release N, in my opinion, just does not hold stock.
__________________
7x14 Stealth SE Enclosed with 48" side ramp
08 Toro Z400 48" deck, 21HP Kaw with EZ Vac twin bag
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:37 PM.

Page generated in 0.07563 seconds with 9 queries