Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Fire Ants

So with the cooler temps and much needed rainfall the fire ants have seemed to multiply. I have a feeling that it could be big business if you can get ahead of the application rush.

I curious to know what everyone's plan of attack is. I know Ric had a thread or post about his blanket applications.

Right now I'm using acephate as a mound treatment when I'm called to treat. I think I will attempt to sell topchoice in the future, but need to work on my sales pitch(I'm cautious about selling a year guaruntee...maybe I say surpress). Maybe a liquid mound drench would be even better?

I've also thought about a 3-4 application program(bifenthrin or carbaryl?) that might take care of fire ants, grubs, and other potential problem pest. Maybe a broadcast application in spring and fall and then follow up 1-2 times with mound treatments?

So I'm looking for what you have used and your thoughts.
Old 09-18-2012, 05:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

if ur gonna garantee it for a yr charge like your doing a yr's worth of apps. remember TC take a good 30 days to work, maybe more
Old 09-18-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i would think depending on the soil you might get a yr. if you get ants then you could just mound treat...

i have talked to ric about this and read his post about ants and his program works and works great for us down here in this sandy soil and is alot cheaper then using top choice...
Old 09-18-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks guys. I was just thinking that top choice might be an easy app but if there are other and better apps I would be open. I'm just trying to research and see what the best route would be.

More apps would be more exposure. Plus I'm not sure people will pay $20/1000 for top choice but it could be an option.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Top choice if I remember correctly doesn't guarantee a full 100% control either.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I was talking with the local university entomologist about what the best approach to fire ants was. From what I gathered he said topchoice or qualipro's generic was the best but most expensive option. He then said the use of baits, either Advion or Award, was a close second. Said it wouldn't provide the quality of control, but would be a lot cheaper option. Both of those are broadcast at a rate of 1.5 lbs/acre...How do you spread something than low???

So I guess you could offer 2 programs for control
Option 1 would be Topchoice with possiblility of free call backs, so 1 maybe 2 apps
Option 2 would be Advion or Award twice a year(sprind and fall) and mound treatment in summer, so 3 apps

Anyone used any of these?
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bait at 1.5 pounds per acre probably means active ingredient of 1.5 pounds. If it was a 1 percent bait, that would require 150 pounds per acre, about 3.4 pounds per thousand sqft.

That is an easy quick job with a ride on spreader. And if you wanted to stop and squirt some liquid on the mounds--so much the better.

No personal experience with fire ants--and I am OK with that.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-15-2012 at 06:27 PM. Reason: ps
Old 10-15-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I've never seen it before but the advion label states 1.5 lbs per acre. That's the rate straight from the container! How do you apply at that low of a rate?

I think advion I about $50 per acre and good for 12-16 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Extinguish plus fromwellmark. Has hydramethylon and S-Methoprene. It wipes out fire ants harvester. Big headed and Argentine. 2 teaspoons around a large mound. Wipes them out and they are gone. It blows top choice out of the water on fire ant control
Old 10-16-2012, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct...the label requires 1.5 pounds per acre. Its an active ingredient of .045 percent, indoxacarb.
http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pr...label_msds.php

Good question. How do you apply such a low rate? 1.5 pounds per acre is about a half ounce per thousand sqft.
Maybe Jenkins at Earthway has a spreader that will do it.