Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-18-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Too late for sod or overseeding in maryland?

Hello guys
wondering if its too late for sod install or overseeding a new property in maryland (climate zone 6b/7a). I think i still have enough time, just want to make sure. Yard is fairly shady.

Thanks so much i really appreciate all the help i get on this site
Old 10-18-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed may or may not work for you I couldn't say, but here we will sod right up into November as long as everything is wet and the ground hasn't frozen yet... this is KBG sod...
Old 10-18-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not to late for sod. Heck the best sod I have ever laid was one winter we were landscaping a apartment complex and the sod was froze so we had to thaw it out so we could unroll it. That stuff looked awesome in the spring. I am sure the sod guy hated us by the time we were done that winter. I would lay sod anytime of year as long as there is no snow on the ground.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You could easily do sod now. Seed might not germinate if the soil temp gets to low. Md has seen frost already so it's hard to tell. I'm sure it would take on as long as the temps don't drop to fast. The 60-70 degree temps during the day will allow grass to grow.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

hmmmm i hope to find some fine fescue sod then for the shady area! it does some more light towards the center of the lawn, but towards the edge, i dont think it gets much at all.
general question for fertilization- do you apply fert to sod?
for new seeding when do you apply fert? before or after?
thanks so much i really appreciate it
Old 10-18-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
hmmmm i hope to find some fine fescue sod then for the shady area! it does some more light towards the center of the lawn, but towards the edge, i dont think it gets much at all.
general question for fertilization- do you apply fert to sod?
for new seeding when do you apply fert? before or after?
thanks so much i really appreciate it
It's not too late. I'm getting ready to overseed my own lawn and a customers next week. I think my cutoff would be the end of October which I'm pushing up against. Just had the customer call me yesterday so I'm renting the 3 pt overseeder and using it on mine too.

Probably wouldn't have gotten the overseeder just for myself.

If overseeding, the grass that is there will offer an insulating factor. Fert before or after you seed whichever is the best time for you but do it the same day and be done.

Wait too long and if you had alot of rain that would keep you off the lawn the seed could germinate and you don't want to be running on the lawn then.

If bare ground seeding I'd be inclined to blow some straw on it if it was applicable. Again an insulating factor.

Never worked with sod.

Eastern or Western Shore of MD?
Old 10-18-2012, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Did a small seeding job in central Maryland (Carroll County) two weeks ago. A large part of that was matted to help get it going before it would have a chance to wash out. That was two weeks ago with some showers here and there and I checked on it yesterday and still no germination. I don't think we've gotten enough rain yet although it's comming down pretty good right now. We've had a couple nights of good frost the last two weeks but this should have nothing to with it. The ground is stilll pretty warm. As above stated if your going to sod the only bad time of year is mid summer. If your going to seed and mulch I would do it before the end of this month to have some chance of germination before the ground freezes.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

sweet guys thanks. im over near DC.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by recycledsole View Post
sweet guys thanks. im over near DC.
You have plenty of time. Get-r-done. If you seed, use some "starter" fert. If you sod, you shouldn't need to fert but just water it. Remember, sod is already growing and doesn't need to germinate. All it needs to do is grow and root in to the soil.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You are on the verge of it being to late to seed so get it done asap. They are calling for mid to high 70's next week so that should help some. We did a few aerations and seeding 2 weeks ago. Cut them yesterday and one of them did have some germination and the others had none. The one with germination has watered some. You could be like 99% of the illegals working around here and do it no matter how late it is in the season. I see guys doing it all the way into december which is absolutely ridiculous.

So you are near DC. What area? We do most of our work in rockville, gaithersburg and germantown in montgomery county.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)