Register free!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Shrub and mosquito app for same customer

Tried the landscape maintenance topic with no response so .....

How do you handle a customer who wants both? Seems like that would be a ton of bifen being applied! You wouldn't need 7-8 mosquito treatments and 5-6 shrub treatments. Right? Maybe you cut back on the shrub apps to just your fertilizer, spring systemic, and fall Hort oil?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't forget your ovicide.

Just an observation. You seem to want to do a million different things. Just do a few and build some clientele.

You have what. 50 lawn customers or something? And you're already branching off into mosquito control and all the other fancy stuff you have mentioned.

I suggest focusing on the main services and don't get to wonky.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

here's a novel thought...learn about plants and pests and go from there.

or

you can just go to an internet forum for all your answers...
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonturf View Post

or

He's very curious and trying to learn. Don't fault him for that. Fault him for peeping on his neighbor while dressing and undressing.

lol

Or not....
Old 10-18-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonturf View Post

or

Why does a know it all need to be in this forum?? So I'm assuming you just do one type I service?

I've got 50-60 mowing accounts and 75-85 application accounts. Naturally the next step is shrubs -- which I don't know much about but everyone says to treat as needed but all the lawn companies do 7-9 apps!!! I'm just asking questions in hopes if seeing if this is something to expand into.

As for Mosquitos, there isn't one guy licensed in my town. I've got the manuals to get certified and have scheduled to take the test.

It's really all about a niche an diversity. Mowing was where I started and people asked about other services. We all had to start somewhere so where'd you learn everything about our business?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
We all had to start somewhere so where'd you learn everything about our business?
Posted via Mobile Device
LOL. Common sense, hands on work, real life observations, independent research, studying nature & agronomy, studying pesticides, getting a degree, etc etc

Certainly not from an internet forum.

This information age we live in can be good for keeping us all plugged in to the going ons. It can be bad for those who always seek the quick and easy answer without putting in their due dilligence.

Moral of the story...you would be much better served by doing your own research and applying YOUR knowledge to what you see every day. Quick questions and answers are not the answer.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Everyone is missing the point..you do the mosquito treatment and a shrub treatment at the same time same product and charge for both services. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But to actually answer the question, IMO you could reduce a tree/shrub app if you wanted to depending on the pest pressure at that time and if a mosquito app was needed (not much of them round here this summer). So short answer is... it depends.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pythium View Post
Everyone is missing the point..you do the mosquito treatment and a shrub treatment at the same time same product and charge for both services. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

But to actually answer the question, IMO you could reduce a tree/shrub app if you wanted to depending on the pest pressure at that time and if a mosquito app was needed (not much of them round here this summer). So short answer is... it depends.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'm sorry if this question came off as a rookie move. I guess I could have asked "what kills this" and "how and what do you charge!!!!"

I'm looking to expand into areas that aren't really offered in my area and looking to become a more full service company where someone can get their entire landscape cared for.

So, I don't claim to be a plant expert and would use the fall and winter to really study my pest and diseases. Although it is far from being implemented.

I feel mosquitos are where it's at. You need a special add on lisense here and there is no local company. It is also a lot more basic of a service than shrubs. Fog bushes, add larvicide to ponds and water features and empty standing water.

From what I've gathered most people who do shrubs so a spring systemic, fall or winter hort oil, and fertilizer in the spring(i would do granular since I don't have deep root injection). That seems to be the standard apps, then guys will do spring/summer apps either "as needed" or standard blanket app visits for pest and disease.

So I was thinking that if someone asked for a mosquito quote that I might upsell them on a shrub program by adding the systemic, hort oil, and fertilization. That would control most if not all of the pest problems. So they could get a 3 step shrub progam instead of a normal 5-6 step program.

I'm an not a horticulturlist or entomologist, and when I treat weeds or other pest I do it on a IPM approach and I don't do apps just for the money. I want then customer to get the long term benefits.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry, I forgot to hit the "add sarcastic tone" button after I made my earlier post about charging for both apps.