Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-18-2012, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Member

When does a customer become a bad customer?

When, if at all, do you guys decide to move on from a customer? Especially those weekly lawn mowing customers? What is the line for you when you decide it is no longer worth your time?

I'm starting to get worn down with a handful of customers that I've had from my start, but still only use my company for lawn mowing and nothing more. I'm trying to expand more into landscaping, and i don't focus on mowing as much anymore because it just isn't very profitable. At the same time, I'm afraid to drop these people and to allow someone else to take over my spot.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:19 PM
Sponsor

You can't have your cake and eat it to. If you really want to move on let your customers know of your plans and make arrangements to have someone you know and trust to continue maintenance work for your old accounts. It is the least you can do and your customers will thank you for not leaving them with no choice in the matter.
easy-lift guy
Old 10-18-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTA95 View Post
When, if at all, do you guys decide to move on from a customer? Especially those weekly lawn mowing customers? What is the line for you when you decide it is no longer worth your time?

I'm starting to get worn down with a handful of customers that I've had from my start, but still only use my company for lawn mowing and nothing more. I'm trying to expand more into landscaping, and i don't focus on mowing as much anymore because it just isn't very profitable. At the same time, I'm afraid to drop these people and to allow someone else to take over my spot.
Think you answered yourself right there. If you're scared to drop them, well... they must not be that bad. The ones I've dropped in the past, I didn't look back and laughed at the guy unloading and wished him the best.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you're schedule is full without them, and you don't want to service them anymore, drop them. I know you can feel a sense of loyalty to them, but if they don't fit your business plan anymore then let them know at the end of the season so they have plenty of time to look for a replacement. Part on good terms and thank them.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

When you don't look forward to servicing their property for whatever reason.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTA95 View Post
I'm starting to get worn down with a handful of customers that I've had from my start, but still only use my company for lawn mowing and nothing more. ....................................................... mowing as much anymore because it just isn't very profitable. At the same time, I'm afraid to drop these people
First why are you afriad to drop them?

Why is mowing not profitable enough?

Working to cheap?

Expenses too high?

Equipment not suited for the property's?

Have not raised prices on those oldest customers to bring them in lin with your newer customers?
Old 10-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

First why are you afriad to drop them?

Why is mowing not profitable enough?

Working to cheap?

Expenses too high?

Equipment not suited for the property's?

Have not raised prices on those oldest customers to bring them in lin with your newer customers?
All good questions to ask.

In the end, if letting go of a customer is something you feel you need to do, it is always wise not to burn bridges if possible. Recommend someone else, be honest with them about changing services and let them know that if they ever need you they can still reach out to you.

Adkad Technologies
GroundsKeeper Pro Business Software
www.adkad.com
(P) 800.586.4683
Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When I get to the point where I cringe every time I seen them on the property or get a phone call from them. Thats when I know they are a true headache.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When they call a lot or when they follow you around the yard as you mow and whip. Not fun! If you would rather ignore their phone call than answer, I'd say that's probably a bothersome customer.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bad customer: One who does not pay, or sends NSF checks.

All others, if they pay, are not bad customers. The only way to have an income stream is having a customer base that pays, pays according to what the LCO and customer have agreed upon.

LS has plenty of threads discussing "bad customers," but none that talk of LCOs of LS being bad contractors. I am sure happy that I am part of a LCO community where there are no bad contractors.