Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Hardest thing I ever did was drop my first customer (not lawn mowing business). It took me MONTHS to decide it was right. When I did it, I was relieved. That was when I knew I had made the right decision. The customer was awesome, the property was not.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Bad customers are a dime a dozen....you have to weed through as you build...if you cant make enough on them time to move on...if they always call about every little thing and bother you...time to move on....each and every client must fit your plan...if not, let them go..they will drag you down and cost you in the long run....build a good client base on a solid foundation and you will succeed...a good acct. will pay on time (every time) will send you their friends,family,ect. for their needs, will always listen to you and take what you say in consideration, will be patient and understanding when you get a bit behind from the weather...(ONLY WEATHER IN MY OPINION IS A GOOD EXCUSE TO BE BEHIND) not broken equipment or bad employees...good customers are out there....you just have to sort through the crap to find them.....
Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=MR-G;4560117]Bad customers are a dime a dozen....you have to weed through as you build...if you cant make enough on them time to move on...if they always call about every little thing and bother you...time to move on....each and every client must fit your plan...if not, let them go..they will drag you down and cost you in the long run....build a good client base on a solid foundation and you will succeed...a good acct. will pay on time (every time) will send you their friends,family,ect. for their needs, will always listen to you and take what you say in consideration, will be patient and understanding when you get a bit behind from the weather...(ONLY WEATHER IN MY OPINION IS A GOOD EXCUSE TO BE BEHIND) not broken equipment or bad employees...good customers are out there....you just have to sort through the crap to find them.....[/QUOTE

GOOD POST. I agree. I dropped a couple longtime customers this spring. It freed up slots for more profitable accounts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-19-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

They tend to weed themselves out for me because I cant bite my tongue. If they say something stupid, they petty much know what Im thinking. I actually need to try harder to let things go and just apease. Its so frustrating for me though. For example this lady sent a paragraph long email to me about a 2 foot long skidmark on a shady damp hill of all weeds, nearly no grass. I replied "well that was rather exagerated but I can spare some grass seed for that spot" now theres actually some grass growing there but I'll lose that lawn next year.

Last edited by 4 seasons lawn&land; 10-19-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post

First why are you afriad to drop them?

Why is mowing not profitable enough?

Working to cheap?

Expenses too high?

Equipment not suited for the property's?

Have not raised prices on those oldest customers to bring them in lin with your newer customers?
I am afraid to loose them because they are one of my original clients and they have really never done anything wrong to me. Also, I would still continue to service their neighbor across the street who is very good to me. I just don't want to come off as a "jackass" for firing them and keeping the neighbor, but i am not really making much money off of them since they only want the lawn cut and always complain about something since I've hired guys and stopped cutting myself. I do make a profit from mowing, but the profit from a customer who has me mow and maintain the beds and plants and occasionally has a few things installed etc is much more worth my time than a complainer who only wants mowing and nothing more.

This is one example, but my original question is more of a general "when does a customer become a bad customer" because I have a couple other different situations too.