Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I time each lawn myself. I'm solo so it's good to know exactly how long it takes. To my surprise I'm well over $1 a minute on all my mowing accounts on average.
Its basic psychology but it does make you work faster when your timing yourself it seems. Also recording drive time helps figure out with your route.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
Its basic psychology but it does make you work faster when your timing yourself it seems. Also recording drive time helps figure out with your route.
It does. I try not to think about it and just do my normal thing. I'm just starting to time them down to the minute on a average pace. I was even faster when I started the timer 2 years ago. Now I'm just working at a normal pace. Heck, my times include stopping at the truck when switching equipment and getting a drink. But yes, it's easy to hurry when you know the clock is ticking.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
To me it sounds like a potential headache, arguement, lawsuit all wrapped into one. If you have too much work to take care of yourself but can't afford an employee maybe you should consider dumping some of the slow/under paying customers.
I agree with this.. At the end it turns out to be a headache. The only reason I don't like having other lawn companies working with me is b/c the guy I worked with under bid every single account he had. So what's stoping him from underbidding my yards? And taking them from me?

So in other words Craig if your gonna do it I would just be cautious. I wouldn't tell him what you charge on the yards

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Networking is good, and good relationships are good and having friends are good. So if a emergency comes up or just want to take a vacation, it is good to have someone to take over.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
It does. I try not to think about it and just do my normal thing. I'm just starting to time them down to the minute on a average pace. I was even faster when I started the timer 2 years ago. Now I'm just working at a normal pace. Heck, my times include stopping at the truck when switching equipment and getting a drink. But yes, it's easy to hurry when you know the clock is ticking.
I time myself too, even down to how long each piece of work takes (mowing, trimming, edging, blowing). It's amazing how much longer it takes you at the end of the day if you aren't timing yourself.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to time myself sitting in a nice parking lot, eating food, drinking diet coke, and listening to talk radio. Yesterday, i lost track of time because i was taking zoomed in pics of females rear ends walking into the grocery store.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

CraigPLC,

I have something for you to think about.

I friend that I got started in lawn care, wanted to partner up. We both mow 40ish yards per week and work full time. My response was- "I can get 6-8 yards done in 6 hours. You can get 4-6 done in 6 hours. Can we get 10-14 done in 6 hours together?" The answer is probably not. This is due to inefficiency. Someone will be standing around some, so efficiency is lost.

What I do enjoy when not solo is the rest periods(driving) come more often. I also think you work faster because you rest more often.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-20-2012, 06:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know most all my competition and we have a good rep-or. But from my experience "LOOK OUT" in time what was your friend will fall on hard times and the next thing you know he is mowing some of your accounts. If there is nothing in writing (no compete) clause you are going to wake up some day in the future and ask yours self. Why did I let my friend have this access to my bread and butter.

OK i am not a obliger, I love working in a harmonies group. But there is a small unwritten rule of business ownership. "You do your thing I do mine". If we respect each other and get along FINE. But to let anyone meet, see and work any or all your accounts is like letting me carrie your wallet. Or showing how and what you do to make your living, both good and bad.

Productivity is a pet peeve of mine. I hope and it sound like you have admitted to it. You can easily spent to much time on accounts. All in the hope to do a better job, make the customer happy. That cool, but as you gain more experience one would hope you learn that time is within your control no one else. How you use your time makes the difference in a successful operation or one that struggles to make ends meet. I read so may posts here that guys stress there better quality and are happy to sacrifice time and making money for there better quality. In fact it is so much better they plane to grow in leaps and bounds in just there better quality. WELL OK good attitude, but one can not pay the bills with attitude it takes cash paying accounts. The more accounts the better you will eat..
Old 10-20-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

3 out of 5. That's how many accounts i took from an ex partner. In a nutshell, this guy was supposed to stay on his meds; he didn't. While not working, he got into an altercation over a fender bender, and the police were looking for him. In the following days, his phone would ring, and he asked me what the number was, and didn't want to pick it up. When i got home, i looked it up, and it was the prefix for the police. Well, they finally got him, and he sat in jail for a little bit. At that point, i was tired of him. I sent letters to his top five customers telling them that if they couldn't reach ______ , that i'd be available. I lied and told them that i couldn't reach him either. I was willing to give up the accounts when he got out, but 3 out 5 customers told him to get lost, and hired me.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've known people before (have one in the family, actually), who can't seem to ever work on their own, but always have to have a "buddy" for even the most menial task. In my opinion, that type of person makes a much better employee than a business owner.