Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-20-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry if I sound so gruff, I don't mean to step on anyones toes. A long time ago I learned being a boss, how to "step on someones toes without scuffing up their shoe shine".

It kind of boils down to your mind set. Some people just don't have the nack to serve others with unconditional respect. Your customers are your boss, and your are in control of your business. In the eyes of a good business man it is a wonderful thing. A guy always sooting from the hip and flying off the handle running your own business can be torture.

MY Grandfather and father and 2 brothers and I have all been in the service business their entire life. I learn it by just being there. I don't mean to be-little anyone.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This three way deal will never last it will fall apart since you can not make all things equal. Get yourself an employee and leave those guys behind. What is with the lawsuit if you have an employee
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
3 out of 5. That's how many accounts i took from an ex partner. In a nutshell, this guy was supposed to stay on his meds; he didn't. While not working, he got into an altercation over a fender bender, and the police were looking for him. In the following days, his phone would ring, and he asked me what the number was, and didn't want to pick it up. When i got home, i looked it up, and it was the prefix for the police. Well, they finally got him, and he sat in jail for a little bit. At that point, i was tired of him. I sent letters to his top five customers telling them that if they couldn't reach ______ , that i'd be available. I lied and told them that i couldn't reach him either. I was willing to give up the accounts when he got out, but 3 out 5 customers told him to get lost, and hired me.
Nice. You lie to new customers just to get them. Why did you feel you had to lie to them? Honesty will get you a long way.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Nice. You lie to new customers just to get them. Why did you feel you had to lie to them? Honesty will get you a long way.
He probably didn't feel it was right to tell clients that the guy was in jail, so he said he couldn't get ahold of him either. If he did tell them the guy was in jail he may have got 5 of 5.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by C Jovingo Landscaping; 10-21-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
He probably didn't feel it was right to tell clients that the guy was in jail, so he said he couldn't get ahold of him either. If he did tell them the guy was in jail he may have got 5 of 5.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sometimes the cold hard facts are what needs to be said. Lying to a new customer isn't the right way to go about it.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wanted them to hear it straight from my ex work partner. I didn't want to air out his business, gossip, and then get questioned about it. Because people will tell me that they won't mention it, but sure as s h i d t, the first time they get a chance, they will question him about what i said, and it will be distorted. I also wanted to give him the chance to get them back, if they wanted him. The truth is that they needed their yard done while he was in jail. My angle was, It was me or someone else.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I wanted them to hear it straight from my ex work partner. I didn't want to air out his business, gossip, and then get questioned about it. Because people will tell me that they won't mention it, but sure as s h i d t, the first time they get a chance, they will question him about what i said, and it will be distorted. I also wanted to give him the chance to get them back, if they wanted him. The truth is that they needed their yard done while he was in jail. My angle was, It was me or someone else.
A simple, "he had a run in with the law" is all you had to say. Then tell them you don't know anything else other then that. What if the dude tells the customers that you knew where he was at? Lying will get you nowhere.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
What if the dude tells the customers that you knew where he was at? Lying will get you nowhere.
He didn't tell clients he didn't know where the guy was. He said he couldn't get ahold of him. I've never had to contact anyone in jail but I bet there are hoops to jump through. I see nothing wrong with what he told clients. Now if it was not partner & he got word that competitor was in jail I'm sure he would have used that to get the clients. He was giving clients an chance to go back when the guy got out & his work kept 3 out of 5, not putting the partners business out there.

IMO pseudosun didn't lie, although he said in his post he lied, i think he used the wrong words to state what he did. Assuming it is difficult to contact someone in jail, there is nothing wrong with saying you can't get ahold of him either.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by C Jovingo Landscaping; 10-21-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

In another thread he posted a link to a pic on facebook, which led to his company profile page, for a $10 cut, he will need all the free help possible.

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 10-21-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seems like a really strange set-up to me. I find it to be the contrary as far as time spent on a property...I can never get done half as fast when working with someone else.

Sounds to me that you just poke along when you're solo and wake up when there's someone else there setting the pace for you. I recommend getting a set of Worktunes and listening to something like AC/DC or Metallica all day long to keep the adrenaline flowing.