Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

High dollar equipment requires high dollar work. If I rent too much this year as we are evaluating currently, I will by the unit next time around. If I can find used on auction I will do that route or else go new. Sure that 21 made the profit margin look good but you limited yourself to expansion, to growth, to being more, doing more. But if you you like your 21 and are content, great for you!
Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I have more bad news for folks who think more expensive equipment means more money in someone's pocket, it doesn't and if it does it's because someone's ripping off the customer. Higher priced equipment comes at a cost, this cost comes out of that money so all the folks who think that 20-year old machine that plows along at a snail's pace isn't cutting it, at least it's all paid up.

Case someone ain't figured that out, the grass ain't greener on the other side of the fence.
Time and again, more work gets done only means higher costs on the other end.
It's in the balance, all yin and yang.

So a diesel doesn't make more, where the fuel is cheaper it also costs more to maintain so at the end of the month it's the same money in the owner's pocket as the guy with the 21", the higher dollar machines have more overhead, neither the price for the job nor the labor cost increases because someone found a more expensive piece of equipment, it might get the job done faster but everyone still gets paid the same in the end.

Matter of fact the guy with the 21" might actually be better off if he gets to stay in the same place for a considerable period of time, $15 an hour for 4 hours is the same as $60 for one hour when the overhead on the $15 / hour job runs $5 total but on the $60 / hour runs $50, either way it's $10 an hour labor and like it or not that is how it's supposed to work out.
That's a bunch of bs all around. Ask anyone who has a diesel how much in maintenance cost they have into their engine, 90+ percent will say 0 besides oil. In 800 hrs on my kubota its about $60 in oil, that's it. Total maintenance cost in 800 hrs is about $500 and $2800 in fuel. If it was gas it would be $160 in oil so $600 in maintenance if you had no issues with the engine and $6100 in fuel. That's a saving of about $3000 a year to run diesel. Plus this machine could last you 10 years so that's a saving of $30,000 over 10 years and you would buy another machine in that time so a total savings of $40,000 in 10 years. Don't get me started on the push mower idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCLawn and more View Post
That's a bunch of bs all around. Ask anyone who has a diesel how much in maintenance cost they have into their engine, 90+ percent will say 0 besides oil. In 800 hrs on my kubota its about $60 in oil, that's it. Total maintenance cost in 800 hrs is about $500 and $2800 in fuel. If it was gas it would be $160 in oil so $600 in maintenance if you had no issues with the engine and $6100 in fuel. That's a saving of about $3000 a year to run diesel. Plus this machine could last you 10 years so that's a saving of $30,000 over 10 years and you would buy another machine in that time so a total savings of $40,000 in 10 years. Don't get me started on the push mower idea.
Posted via Mobile Device
Our diesels have had nothing done other than regular maintenance. Our oldest Walker has over 1800 hours and our Deere's are around the 1700 mark. I figured over the life of a mower the fuel savings alone would pay for that mowers replacement. This is the reason the only gas equipment we run requires two stroke oil.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Our diesels have had nothing done other than regular maintenance. Our oldest Walker has over 1800 hours and our Deere's are around the 1700 mark. I figured over the life of a mower the fuel savings alone would pay for that mowers replacement. This is the reason the only gas equipment we run requires two stroke oil.
The only 2 stoke I have now is my chain saw.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
The only 2 stoke I have now is my chain saw.
We tried 4 stroke trimmers and decided it wasn't for us. Nice unit it just wasn't practical for how we use them.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
We tried 4 stroke trimmers and decided it wasn't for us. Nice unit it just wasn't practical for how we use them.
true 4 stoke or the hybrid?
Old 10-31-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
true 4 stoke or the hybrid?
True 4 stroke, we have a Stihl KM but I still consider that a 2 stroke.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
True 4 stroke, we have a Stihl KM but I still consider that a 2 stroke.
In your sig you mention at the end "lots of Excedrin". Is that because of the diesel fumes or from owning a business?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with your logic, but not necessarily the numbers, which reflect fuel usage as over 2 gph on with a gas engine. Most gas ZTR's do much better than that. I owned a diesel for a couple of seasons, and the total savings over my identical mowers with gas engines worked out to around $1 per hour. I'm not knocking diesels, just trying to compare apples to apples.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
I agree with your logic, but not necessarily the numbers, which reflect fuel usage as over 2 gph on with a gas engine. Most gas ZTR's do much better than that. I owned a diesel for a couple of seasons, and the total savings over my identical mowers with gas engines worked out to around $1 per hour. I'm not knocking diesels, just trying to compare apples to apples.
I'm camparing it to a 35hp big block vangard which is the only engine that will keep with a 26 or 31 hp diesel.
Posted via Mobile Device