Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

CAN WE GET THE POOR GUYS THREAD BACK ON TRACK? With all due respect to our diesel VS gas discussion, start another thread if you want to discuss it? It's a good topic!

To the OP, you are the only person who knows if you can or can not handle and make $$ on this location. Most of the advice given so far has been good, so listen to it. Just remember that if you get hurt, lose the contract or some other bad thing happens? How will you pay for the new mower?

I would also figure out is you would be better off picking up some smaller properties instead of locking yourself down to one account? You may be better off cutting 5 or 6 residential accounts in two days vs. cutting one big one?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I hope you do well. Around here that job would go for less than $10 an acre.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog1 View Post
CAN WE GET THE POOR GUYS THREAD BACK ON TRACK? With all due respect to our diesel VS gas discussion, start another thread if you want to discuss it? It's a good topic!

To the OP, you are the only person who knows if you can or can not handle and make $$ on this location. Most of the advice given so far has been good, so listen to it. Just remember that if you get hurt, lose the contract or some other bad thing happens? How will you pay for the new mower?

I would also figure out is you would be better off picking up some smaller properties instead of locking yourself down to one account? You may be better off cutting 5 or 6 residential accounts in two days vs. cutting one big one?
Here is the answer to the thread. Does this mean we can continue all the other side discussions?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would write a bunch of random numbers on little pieces of paper and draw from a hat to decide on a bid price.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote formula: 1-mph = 1.467 feet per second x 60 = 88.02 feet per minute. Deck width in inches 72 / 12 = 6-feet. 88.02 x 6-feet = 528.12 feet per minute. 60 x 528.12 = 31687.2 feet per hour at 100%, so 31687.2 x .8 = 25349.76 feet per hour at 80%. an acre = 43567 sq ft. 43567 x 22 = 958,474 / 25,349.76 = 37.81 hours at 1-mph so the last thing to do is divide that by how fast you want to mow at, or as an example 5-mph = 7.6-hours. Now decide what you want to make for in this example 7.5 hours to pay yourself, any help you employ, and overhead.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2012, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

try the exmark 60 with 29 kaw
Old 11-02-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
Here is the answer to the thread. Does this mean we can continue all the other side discussions?
I'm glad you give me credit for being so smart? It's good to know I had the right answer. I think the side topics are good ones. The discussions will never be found though listed under a different topic if someone searches for them later on, and with all the knowledge and wisdom in them, it may help someone at a later date?

By starting a new thread, you will make the information easier to find, AND, not hijack this one.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog1 View Post
I'm glad you give me credit for being so smart? It's good to know I had the right answer. I think the side topics are good ones. The discussions will never be found though listed under a different topic if someone searches for them later on, and with all the knowledge and wisdom in them, it may help someone at a later date?

By starting a new thread, you will make the information easier to find, AND, not hijack this one.
There are plenty of threads on gas vs diesel. As well as all of the other side discussions. If someone has questions on a topic they will most likely skip the search feature and just start a new thread. Like all of the "how much should I charge" threads. You did have the right answer as I pointed out which makes the topic of this thread a moot point don't you think?
Old 11-02-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs.landscaping View Post
You did have the right answer as I pointed out which makes the topic of this thread a moot point don't you think?
I guess so? I just remember when I got started and how lost I felt sometimes? When you are new, your vision can be clouded by $$ and you lose sense of reality (or at least common sense?). It's only after you get a few jobs under your belt and get burned on a few that you become older and wiser?

If I were a newbie, the question would make sense. I would also feel like nobody gave a rats a$$ if every subject other than the one I originally asked was discussed?

We were all new at one time. I always try and remember that. While I will admit that the same question over and over is redundant, I do understand WHY it was asked. I will shut up now and leave you alone. I promise!.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Makes sense. Though ususally the good parts of a thread like this are the spin off conversations. Kind of like taking your kids to a Disney movie because of the adult humor!