Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-14-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Some changes were made to what we are doing.

I will start another thread on Monday night to explain everything. For the actual mowing I am just going to be renting a 60" ZTR.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-14-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It is still not too late to sub it out.

I would never knock someone trying to leverage an opportunity to expand.

The reality is the daily profit margin for this job in unknown besides an educated guess.

What is known is how much you stand to make daily with the equipment, jobs, and manpower you have now. So this may or may not be the right time or right job to throw all your chips in.

It sound like right now you are just doing some 'clean up' work around the property and since it is the off-season it is a good time to gain some experience.

This will give you a leg up on the realistic time it will take to complete and help you figure out a bid for the spring
Old 12-15-2012, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPI_Savage25 View Post
Some changes were made to what we are doing.

I will start another thread on Monday night to explain everything. For the actual mowing I am just going to be renting a 60" ZTR.
Posted via Mobile Device
Are you serious? Why start another thread when this one is right here and active? Just post it here just like you did to tell us changes were made. Keep it right here if you will please thanks.

By the way, I had a Savage with the OS .30 on it. The thing would do back flips if I nailed it from a stop! A few of us had them. We would hit ramps and do forward and back flips at the same time! Tons of fun. By the way, I was one of the top three drivers in 1/8 scale nitro buggy for years and won the ROAR region 2 championships. I also went on to race at a national or two and finished in the top 30!
Old 12-15-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
Are you serious? Why start another thread when this one is right here and active? Just post it here just like you did to tell us changes were made. Keep it right here if you will please thanks.

By the way, I had a Savage with the OS .30 on it. The thing would do back flips if I nailed it from a stop! A few of us had them. We would hit ramps and do forward and back flips at the same time! Tons of fun. By the way, I was one of the top three drivers in 1/8 scale nitro buggy for years and won the ROAR region 2 championships. I also went on to race at a national or two and finished in the top 30!
This will be done in stages. Hopefully all this week. I know I am doing Phase I, not sure about Phase II yet. I will know about Phase II when I finish Phase I.

Phase I will consist of blowing all the roads off and removing the debris (pine straw, leaves, ect.) Will be trimming some trees and shrubs to allow vehicles to drive around the property without overhanging limbs hitting the vehicles. Cutting a small field, bagging it (Walker) and then putting out about two yards of topsoil in the potholes. Will also be pulling some vines off of a barn. I will keep all of this documented with pictures as this is a MAJOR job for me and I am excited about it. If I get to do everything in Phase I and II, this place will be a complete flip.
Encore Premier 36" WB
Old 12-17-2012, 04:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Today didn't turn out like I wanted. We worked in the pouring down rain today. Got two dump trailer loads done today. From the brick driveway alone. Hopefully we can finish up the driveway tomorrow and get started on the rest.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 04:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Its a pity you couldnt hire a skid steer with a brush. Would of most likely been cost effective.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I thought about a bunch of different ideas. In the end it all had to be hauled off in the end. It has areas that the roots are causing the bricks to come up so anything with a blade wouldn't work. I have my work cut out for me but I knew that from the very beginning. More pics to come. Tomorrow is supposed to be sunny. Hopefully get more done than we did today. Although we got a lot done.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

This is why I currently do residential only!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
It's only after you get a few jobs under your belt and get burned on a few that you become older and wiser?

It's not called getting burned, it's called having a learning experience at the school of hard knocks. It's the only way to truly learn what your overhead costs are starting out, and how to correctly bid a job. Everyone thinks nowadays they can just google a topic, join a forum, and magically have all the answers for success.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree 100%. One of my favorite old "sayings" is, "experience is something you get right AFTER you needed it". I think most all of us older guys have definitely been there.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPI_Savage25 View Post
Just as a little update to this thread. I got a phone call today and I am going out to the property to look at it again tomorrow to show me exactly what they want done. I know this may be way over my head but I like a challenge. Providing I get the job, I will have about two weeks to get it completed.
I don't care who you are, doing new things that you've never done is sometimes a scary situation. If someone tells you that they've never been scared when taking on new things, I wouldn't trust that person from that point on, because he's probably not being honest with you.

Sometimes you just have to take in a long deep breath, pinch your nose and jump in! I think this will be a good learning experience that will make you feel much more confident to take on bigger jobs in the future.

Just think things thru as best you can and work hard at it. You will make mistakes....that's just a fact.... but don't let that discourage you. Try to learn from each and every one of the mistakes, and keep working hard. If you do that, I've found that things will usually work out for you in the long run.

As they say, "it's not how many times you fall down that matters....what matters is how many times you get back up and keep going"!

One last thing....and this is maybe the most important part. If the people you are working for see that you are genuinely working hard and doing the very best you can do, and.....you're doing it with a good attitude, I've found that most people will work hard to try to help you try to work things out. There's nothing that customers appreciate more than a person that give's 110% all of the time, and does it with a smile on their face and a good attitude.

Good luck, and keep us updated! Stan

Last edited by StanWilhite; 12-18-2012 at 12:52 AM.