Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I do the same as ^^^^ and put upsale items as in bed maintennance and snow removal and give a list of stuff I do. This helps as a selling device.
Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never used or plan on using them.
All Echo hand helds
<- That's how I feel at the end of the day.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
While we have our customers sign contracts, they aren't contracts like some people assume with equal payments each month broken up. It simply states the work we will do, mow, weed, mulch, cleanup (whatever the customer wants for services); how often we will do it, and how much the charge will be. It really is only meant to keep communications clear and keep all customers on the same page. It also states what happens in case of rain, the height of grass cut is upon our discretion, etc etc. Just basically an agreement for the season. I used to send them out near the end of winter but I think I'm going to mail them all out the end of this season so I know exactly what customers want next year. When I sent them out in the early spring, there were always a handful of customers that we wouldn't hear back from until their grass was already a foot tall and a mess. If you explain to customers that you just want to keep an open line of communication and call it an agreement, you should have very few complaints. Such contracts are totally unheard of in my area, but I gave it a shot and got everyone on board.
I do the exact same thing and have had no issues with any clients. the key to me is that it is labeled as an agreement not a hardline contract.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo...you got it. It's an agreement but keeps you in charge.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I also do the service agreement as has been described above. I use it to detail what we will and will not do under normal lawn service, and to market our additional products. It also differentiates us from the guys that are not very professional.
Cypress Lawn Service
Richmond Lawn Service
Old 10-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Sponsor

Does anyone here do contract?

In the beginning we did not make the customer sign a contract. However, over the last 16 years we learned the hard way. It is vital to get a contractual agreement in place. We have developed an instant online quoting system in which lawn care companies can have customers agree to their terms before they do the work. This just helps keep people honest and will hold up in small claims court if you are doing a good job. Check out acculawnsystems.com.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:16 PM
LawnSite Member

So you are saying its an agreement saying what you will provide and there's is no signing of forms/papers.
36" Walk behind bobcat Mower with sulky.
Echo/stihl stuff
5 by 10 trailer.
Commercial Pesticide License#:19195
and a little bit of JESUS

www.islandlawnandpressure.com

Don't Quit Try Harder!!
Old 10-27-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Call it a service agreement if you dont like contrat.
Keep it simple, state what u want, 90 day cancel,renews every year, set the price, 4% increase auto every year,

payement for month due prior to service, Ex: bill Jan 1 is for Jan service & payment is due by Jan 10th.

Our residential agreement is super basic, but its professional, our commercial contract was done by a lawyer, but well worth the couple hundred bucks.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrowns View Post
So you are saying its an agreement saying what you will provide and there's is no signing of forms/papers.
My lawn clients sign the agreement and keep a copy for themselves. Nowhere on my agreements does it state it is a contract just simply an authorization for me to provide the noted services for the season as described in the agreement. It says what the service is, billing, due dates for payment, weather issues, etc....there's no termination fee or early cancel fee which is clearly stated. It does however state if service is cancelled for any reason, the current balance on the account becomes due upon cancellation. It basically eliminates any questions or confusion that may arise during the season.

I also add an addendum page for each client with a price list for different services (aeration...etc) they can sign up for so they have an idea of the costs

All my clients have no problem with it and if they did; I don't need them. I had one prospective client out of 100 or so who refused to sign one.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kebrowns View Post
I hear bad things about doing contracts and also good things. But a lot of clients I talk to don't want that. If I do develop contracts what would be my selling point.
YES! I live an exit south of you, and many of us contract. I do it for level payments each month so I know my salary and budget projections. I make my profit during the winter when I have time to enjoy it. I don't have to have a selling point, they want me or not. We're full service and I have a degree in horticulture<<<<<I use this as my selling point. If you do a contract, make sure to keep good records of every service performed.

25 years old 7 years in business ownership