Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 12:34 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperCutter View Post
I could use almost every manufacturer's catalog to pull examples of crappy design. If I had to guess, the criteria for getting your job in a catalog are 1) is it standing? 2) is it finished (plantings, etc)? and 3) does it use a crapload of the manufacturer's product? That's it.

The catalogs are geared at the homeowner, who just think it all looks awesome. It's up to us to take that nugget of an idea in the catalogs and actually create something good.
I was submitting pictures of a job we did with techo, huge job with alot of their materials flagstone, mista, escala, mini creta, pillars etc.... Their first question to me was "what kind of furniture do they have" !! At least the lines were straight and the job was well done, but that didn't matter one bit to them.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Doesn't surprise me at all. When I opened up their latest catalog last winter my first thought was "wow, these guys are styling these shots like a magazine shoot." It's not stupid.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

alotta the management, employees, staff, and even owners of paver manufacturing companies know NOTHING about the craftsmanship of hardscapes.

Paver Pete is about the only one that I have ever met from within the paver industry who really knows all aspects of the industry, from manufacturing to plopping the product on the ground. Remember my thread titled 'Ego - from another prospective'? Pete is a prime example. He really and truely knows more about this industry than anyone else employed and or afiliated with manufacturing the product. That's a good thing.

A fews years ago the local Nicolock reps came to my jobsite. One of the reps I have known for eons. The other rep was new. I said to him "so how long have you been selling pavers?" His response "this is the first time, I'm a career salesman, I move from job to job" - and he was serious.

So when the catalogs have pics of flawed work we're seeing the end result of a bunch of bimbos that have no clue about how the product is really supposed to be used.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
I'll say first off that I'm not nearly the professional that most of you are, but I guess I found the steps rather "hacky".
Why would a manufacturer put something like this in their catalog.
Maybe it's fine, I don't know much, what do you think.
Stop buying product at big earls bargain brick emporium 'n stuff

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
Believe it!!
Borgert - just looking at their online catalog.

Hesitated to say who it is, but I guess, if they have no better sense, they deserve to be ridiculed.

Talk about DENSE, and this is completly off topic, listen to this conversation.

http://wyrk.com/please-move-the-deer...g-signs-video/
I was so mortified by that call i couldn't even finish listening...
Old 10-20-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm from MN, where Borgert's plant is. I'd say 95% of my patio's are done where there products. There MN River Carcovia is an amazing color. I get there catalog every year and I was embarrassed for them to put this in there catalog. They do not supply to lowe's and any box store for the person that was wondering. There retaining wall block and actually not that great. They have strassen wall block that is great but way to expensive, no one can afford to install it.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Using the design and materials shown, how would you do it properly? Would you take a narrow wedge off of each paver in the steps to make the pavers fit together better?
Old 10-23-2012, 01:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG View Post
Using the design and materials shown, how would you do it properly? Would you take a narrow wedge off of each paver in the steps to make the pavers fit together better?
Putting those pavers over the wall is just weird if you ask me, I would of used a proper cap that is made specifically for the wall blocks. But if you had to put pavers over it then maybe a better choice of pavers like something wider for instance and yes I would of cut them so it fit tightly.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

if not a cap then at least a bullnose brick
Old 10-23-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The material should have been mitered.

But by the time you miter a 4x8 paver, you then have a Weight Watchers size pie slice.

So minimum scenerio it should have been a 6-inch bullnose.

That job was probably done by the manufacturer's nephew and they had no choice but to use it for their catalog to keep peace in the family.

Posted via Mobile Device