Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-04-2012, 01:20 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
It definitely gets your attention the first time you hear the e brake deleted!

I have an 11' 4x2 CCSB 3:42 rear end, manual. I deleted at 10k. I now have 32k. I have the H&S XRT Pro tuner. With the mild setting +60hp I get 13 to 14 pulling 16 ft open trailer weighing 7 to 8k with everything on it. Pulling 28 ft GN with 65hp tractor and 10ft cutter it gets 10 to 11. This is all stop and go with 65mph top speed.

Empty on the hot setting got 22 mpg going to San Antonio in the summer at 70mph. I didn't mess with an air intake, no reason to unless your gonna run big power. I did get a 5" turbo back exhaust just to get a louder sound. You definitely want to keep your tuner on the lowest or no power setting when pulling to prevent blowing the head gasket. Which is where the aftermarket head studs come in.
My performance shop recommended the ARP 625 studs on even a low HP setting. A blown HG will cost you $800. For intake the AFE Pro Dry is nice since you do not have to mess with oiling.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 11-04-2012, 01:01 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
My performance shop recommended the ARP 625 studs on even a low HP setting. A blown HG will cost you $800. For intake the AFE Pro Dry is nice since you do not have to mess with oiling.
How much are the head studs?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyFarmLandscaping View Post
How much are the head studs?
Posted via Mobile Device
The best deal you'll find will be about $1200. The labor was about $250. It'd the ARP 625 studs you want. They also make a lesser version more for stock engines that are around $400 but it will be a waste of money. There are guys that tried to get away with lesser studs and blew an HG. Then your out $800 for a gasket and the $650 for the cheaper studs and HG. Then you have to spend $1200 for the better studs.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
I have a 2012 and I deleted the dpf, got a smarty, cold air intake, and I went from 10mpg to nearly 17! It is amazing how much more power it has too. I will be honest, stock I was so disappointed... My truck has a 6" lift, but it didn't get much more than 11 before the wheels and tires and lift..
Just wondering is it now that you are getting 11 with tires and the lift?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Mine is an 09' 4x4 dually with deleted emissions and I was able to get 17.65 mpg's at 65 mph until I swapped to 4.10 gears. Deleting will get you 2 mpg's more instantly. Don't buy the warranty use the money to delete the emissions instead. You can do 10,000 mile oil changes if you delete as well which will allow you to run synthetic oil in a cost effective manner. Talk to any Diesel performance shop in your area and they can give you the scoop.

My 6.7 has an Air Dog fuel/air separating system, 5" turbo back exhaust (TBE), Smarty downloader, AFE Pro Dry Air filter, ARP .625 head studs, blocked EGR/deleted DPF, and Edge CS gauges.
Do you use that for lawncare? How does it do with the starting and stopping multiple times a day and short trips? I plan on getting an 09 so I'm just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green-Man View Post
Do you use that for lawncare? How does it do with the starting and stopping multiple times a day and short trips? I plan on getting an 09 so I'm just curious.
Posted via Mobile Device
My crew uses an 06' Ram 2500 with the 5.9 for landscape maintenance. My 09' is my daily driver and is used for work as well. I just built up the trans into a Suncoast M3GA Jr. with their billet input shaft, billet flex plate, and torque converter.

This has allowed me to turn up my Smart to the 170 HP setting which makes driving a little more fun. I just started using my 20' dump trailer for lawn composting again and the loads have put the trailer weight in the 30-31K range. Just one cubic foot of the top dressing has been in the 61-66 lbs range and I've been hauling 13 yard loads. The trailer has electric over hydraulic disc brakes ($3800 upgrade) and stops great.

Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
My crew uses an 06' Ram 2500 with the 5.9 for landscape maintenance. My 09' is my daily driver and is used for work as well. I just built up the trans into a Suncoast M3GA Jr. with their billet input shaft, billet flex plate, and torque converter.

This has allowed me to turn up my Smart to the 170 HP setting which makes driving a little more fun. I just started using my 20' dump trailer for lawn composting again and the loads have put the trailer weight in the 30-31K range. Just one cubic foot of the top dressing has been in the 61-66 lbs range and I've been hauling 13 yard loads. The trailer has electric over hydraulic disc brakes ($3800 upgrade) and stops great.
That's awesome! So I'm guessing you live your truck I'm glad to hear it! When I plan to upgrade the tranny it's either going to be a revmax or suncoast. What's your mpg like just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
That's awesome! So I'm guessing you live your truck I'm glad to hear it! When I plan to upgrade the tranny it's either going to be a revmax or suncoast. What's your mpg like just wondering.
Posted via Mobile Device
Because I swapped in 4.10 gears I went from the mid 17's to the mid 15's. I just wish the 68RFE was not such a difficult transmission to upgrade. I have about $9000 invested in my trans setup.

If you can afford it Suncoast is the only one with a custom made drum that increases the clamping forces on the clutches in an outside the box way. They also make the M3GA Competition transmission but you have to buy the whole unit and have it shipped from FL. Then you have to ship your old core trans back to FL. With the M3GA Jr. you can have an authorized Suncoast trans shop rebuild your existing trans.

I would stay away from the purple ATS transmissions. I have talked to some shop owners that were given the run around on warranty work.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh wow the mpg is not that bad at all actually 17's before the swap is good enough for me especially when thinking how big the truck is. 9,000!! Wow! That's serious cash. I guess that would be one of the last things I would do. Thanks for all that info man I really appreciate it! It's nice to get to talk to someone with experience. One more question the whole turning on and off the truck multiple times a day, have you encountered problems with it? What's your take on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 07:46 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Oh wow the mpg is not that bad at all actually 17's before the swap is good enough for me especially when thinking how big the truck is. 9,000!! Wow! That's serious cash. I guess that would be one of the last things I would do. Thanks for all that info man I really appreciate it! It's nice to get to talk to someone with experience. One more question the whole turning on and off the truck multiple times a day, have you encountered problems with it? What's your take on that?
Posted via Mobile Device
I used my truck before deleting for fertilizing where we would stop very often and I only had one issue before I deleted at 20K. Once you delete you can let the truck idle for extended periods and it doesn't matter because it's just like having an older 5.9 because you have no more DPF that needs regens every so often.