Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-23-2003, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

F-350 Diesel or Gasser

I'm buying an '95-'02 F-350 as soon as I can decide which is best for me. But, I need help from you guys that have a one ton and have had both or can just help in a beneficial way. Now, I want to keep my price relatively low, <$14,000 since I still have another vehicle that has payments and I just moved into a new house two months ago so pushing that limit will not go. So, do I either buy a 2000-2002 gas with 30-60K on it that is stated at 13/17 MPG with the stock V-8 or do I buy a 1995-1997 diesel with approx. 100K+ on it. My yearly driving will be less than 15K with 95% business.

I will be using this as a primary service vehicle and will put a flatbed on it w/ dump as long as I can fit it. It will be used for everything from fert apps, hardscape installs to leaves. I will also pull a 16' open trailer most of the time. Also, I live in Central Kentucky where we receive little snow and still debating on whether or not to chase the plow market since yearly accumulation averages less that 1'.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1990 f350 4dr dually 460efi auto 4:10gr.It has 150,000miles.Its been the best truck i've ever owned.every thing is original,NEVER,engine or trans trouble.but--it loves gas,8-10mpg on average.13.3mpg was best ever unloaded all interstate.I would love a new 6.0 powerstroke,don't get me wrong,that is the ultimate p/u,however I can keep old red on the road for 40 more yrs for what on of them cost.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I personally am a big fan of diesels. You can't beat the torque for pulling, nor the fuel mileage of a diesel. However, if most of your driving is stop & go, and you won't put much mileage on it, you might be better off with a gas. Starting & stopping is hard on diesels. A diesel will obviously cost more for the same thing (which you obviously know since you're considering older and with more miles for the diesel), but will have better resale value.
I actually have a '97 Ford F350 Powerstroke diesel, with a 12' flatbed on it that I am considering selling. If interested in hearing more, feel free to email me.

Randy
rdj@gvtc.com
Old 01-23-2003, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the Diesel, I have a 95 4x4 1 ton PS. I love mine. I put a dump bed on it this past fall. I also have a 90 F350 with a EFi 460. It loves the gas. And brother with the little 16 gallon tank on this truck. I am looking at every 150 miles filling it up.

I use the gas to push snow and it sets the rest of the year.

Hey Brent so you are in Lexington, I am in Stanford, a small town about 45 miles south of Lexington. Maybe we can link up sometime?????

Wish you all the luck in your choice.

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 01-23-2003, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

PSD

I would strongly advise you to go for a psd. I would opt for the 00+ psd but it probably is above your price range. I have a 95 f250 supercab long bed with the 460efi. My god that thing drinks gas. I was at the station three times last week $40, $30, and $25. I drove less than 200 miles; it might have even been 100 miles. This thing gets 4-6mpg UNLOADED. It has nickel and dimed me to death. Has anyone ever heard of the door latch (internal) just breaking ?? I have it happened on my drivers door (cost was $300). I will never buy used again, im going for the 0% on a new PSD. Even though i will only drive 10k miles my first few years with it, the resale value will be higher and gas mpg will be double on avg. I will plow and tow with it so might as well go with diesel. I liked the sounds of the 6.0L but i dont want to be a guinea and miss out on rebates so its 7.3L PSD for me.
I have to wait on a new truck until i can fix this one (the 4*4 transfer case clutch broke as well).
Old 01-23-2003, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I have had two F350's with the 460, and will never buy another. While they run great and were reliable, they drink gas. Never got more than 6 - 8 MPG on either of them. Glad I got rid of them before gas prices got to their current level.
Look at the Ford PSD, Dodge Cummins, or the Chevy 6.5 turbo diesel. Most people shy away from the Chevys due to the bad reputation of their diesel engines. However, the 6.5 turbo is a good engine. I am closing in on 300,000 miles on my 94 model, and it still runs strong. If you can find a Chevy 3500HD with the 6.5 turbo, you can usually pick it up a lot cheaper than a similar Dodge or Ford.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Another question, does anyone have the 1999+ V-8. Isn't that a new more powerful, more efficient engine. This is what I would be buying if it were to be gas. The current MPG ratings are again 13/17 unoaded which isn't bad at all, however they clain that and is far better than the current Chevy and Dodge. Now I've heard plenty of BAD stories on the pre-1997 models but am wondering about the current style. However, you all are really helping and now I'm thinking that the older PSD would be a better option for me.

PS Here is a good point.

A new F-350 w/ Diesel sells for about $4,500 more than gas, a used '97 Diesel is still selling for about $4,100 more than that same gas. The difference would be more than made up in the first year in fuel expenses alone. Now multiply that by vehicle ownership, however, I'm still limited by $$$
Old 01-24-2003, 10:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have an 01 PSD and I have sworn to never again buy a Gas burner. Once I hooked up my tractor to my new truck for the first time I fell in love!!
Old 01-24-2003, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I would never own a 460 gasser truck either I had a 88 F-Superduty with a 460 and 5spd the best MPG was 10 the average was 6mpg M/T truck put a load on it your down to 4mpg.

I would only put a 2 hours worth of driving on the truck and it would burn 14 dollars of gas togo to the next community about 40 miles each way it would cost me 20 dollars in fuel to get there and have to fill the truck up again. A buddy of mine that runs a tow truck business said his F-Superduty tow truck burn 2000 grand of gas each month he converted it to diesel its down to 1000 dollars a month.

The 460 was reliable and never gave me any troubles but I definatly couldn't go far from a gas station and you didn't let it get below 1/4 of a tank.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I spoke with the fleet vehicle maintenace managers at 3 companies. Two I was considering purchasing one of their trucks, and a third to verify what the first two told me. They all said basically the same thing.

1. If you prefer the diesel and don't mind spending the money, get what you like. You'd be happier with the truck that way.

2. If you don't care and are just looking at $, don't get a diesel unless you drive more than 25k miles a year. That is about the break-even point.

Their argument is that the maintenance cost and the extra cost of the option is not offset by mileage lower than that. I ran the numbers in a spreadsheet, and for me it would never be a $ benefit to having a diesel. I barely get 11k in a year.

Endless Summer Lawn Care
Portsmouth, VA