Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Fixing dead spots at this point

I have a client who has some bare spots and they are wanting me to fix it. Out past the sidewalk is pretty much bare. It is Oct 19 now in Iowa and the daily temps are anywhere from 50-70 and night time temps possibly below freezing.

I'm curious as to what the best method is to fix this and when?
She doesn't have an irrigation system, but she does water her lawn and is willing to do anything.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Rake and seed. It will be very slow due to low temperatures in Iowa. Three weeks to emergence instead of one week. (For the rye part of the seed percent). Depends on average temperatures--you need daytime temps above 50. Use double or triple the usual amount of seed if you want thick results.

Sod, if they are in a hurry and want great quality.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

What he said, plus add more when the ground freezes for a dormant seeding... if it is out 'past the sidewalk' you may very well be redoing next Spring, becuz of plow and salt/gravel damage...
Old 10-20-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I was also curious about broadcast seeding. Can I just cut the grass down and dethatch it and then lay seed down with a spreader?
Or if someone can just tell me what they use as a process that would be great.
Thanks
Old 10-20-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sure you can lay down the seed with a spreader. I have done some experiments at small scale. I seeded right through crabgrass with no soil prep and no irrigation--about 4 weeks ago. Its about 3 inches tall now. For quick and thick results use about 3 times the recommended amount of seed. Not every seed will "take" especially if conditions are less than the best. It comes down to: which is easier--renting the slit seeder or just using more seed per square foot. Should you drag to incorporate the seed? if so --how many times? Seed before power raking--or after? Power rake twice?
And you should have started when temps were still above 80 during the day. I realize that sometimes late summer has no rain. I am not sure if it is a good idea to seed when the weather is dry--and just assume the seed will take-off when it rains.

And one more mystery. Can plenty of water substitute for no power raking, or no preparation at all? (After all water is cheap...compared to labor).
Old 10-21-2012, 02:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Only reason as to the timing of this is because I just picked her account up two weeks ago and she mentioned the obvious problem
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2012, 07:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
... I am not sure if it is a good idea to seed when the weather is dry--and just assume the seed will take-off when it rains.

And one more mystery. Can plenty of water substitute for no power raking, or no preparation at all? (After all water is cheap...compared to labor).
In consideration of your 1st statement here,,, We've had seed sitting in the ground for several weeks during the drought and with the rains starting 11 days ago, we're getting germination... the temps have really cooled off since the seed was put in...

Your 2nd point of "plenty of Water" sounds good,,, but I would caution against too much water... the exuberance about water actually killed newly germinated seedlings on one lawn this year... at some point the plant has enough water and force feeding eventually just overshadows everything else that living plants need to thrive...