Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2012, 11:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Flag Pole Lighting

Any one know of a good Led lamp to replace par 38 - 90 watt halogen 120 v Flood , In ground enclosed fixtures.

Richie
Old 10-19-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I haven't done a search for this device yet but is there a device that screws into a fixture socket that converts 120 v to 12 v that now you could use an MR 16 LED lamp within the fixture.

Richie
Old 10-19-2012, 05:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Hi Richie. There are a number of very good 120V LED PAR38 lamps on the market but I don't know of one that will replicate the output of a 90W Halogen. I think the brightest of them resemble 75W halogen lamps, but you will find that many of these are running around 4000K in an effort to maximize lumen output. Stick with the name brands you know and trust like Philips, GE, Sylvania, Toshiba, etc. and be sure that no matter what brand of 120V LED lamps you use that they are properly listed with UL, CSA or ETL.

Regards.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 10-19-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Hi Richie. There are a number of very good 120V LED PAR38 lamps on the market but I don't know of one that will replicate the output of a 90W Halogen. I think the brightest of them resemble 75W halogen lamps, but you will find that many of these are running around 4000K in an effort to maximize lumen output. Stick with the name brands you know and trust like Philips, GE, Sylvania, Toshiba, etc. and be sure that no matter what brand of 120V LED lamps you use that they are properly listed with UL, CSA or ETL.

Regards.
Thanks James for the reply,

Until I can locate LED lamps for enclosed fixtures I'm sending someone out in the morning to replace the 90 watt halogens with the same , this client must have these lights on from 6 pm to 6 am PERIOD it's a personal reason I can't go into , I am still looking for a simple way to change it all out to LED MR 16 but haven't had the time for more research , a screw in adapter that drops voltage from 120 v to 12 v would be ideal then drop in an LED MR 16 done deal.

P.S. The last set of halogens lasted 3600 hours

Thanks again

Richie
Old 10-19-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There is a screw in adapter and transformer available from Cooper Halo. Converts PAR pot lights to LV MR16

However, you will not find an LED mr16 that comes close to the output of a 90w halogen par38.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-20-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
There is a screw in adapter and transformer available from Cooper Halo. Converts PAR pot lights to LV MR16

However, you will not find an LED mr16 that comes close to the output of a 90w halogen par38.
Posted via Mobile Device
Found this site

http://www.ledtronics.com/Products/P...ils.aspx?WP=76

Features

Ambient Operating Temperature Range: ~-4°F to ~+104°F [~-20°C to ~+40°C]
Suitable for use in open luminaires only. To prevent overheating of the lamp which may cause premature failure, do not install in totally enclosed fixtures. Recessed fixtures with some type of venting are more desirable for use with these lamps. LED PAR Bulbs must not exceed Ambient Operating Temperature Range.

I just don't know how it will handle the 18 watts of heat over time being in an enclosed fixture on 12 hrs a day.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Personally I would not go there. I have lots of experience testing a ton of these 'no name' 120v LED lamps and have not found many that are worth the trouble. I looked at that PAR38 you found.

1: no electrical listings - be careful I have seen no name 120V LED lamps literally burn up at the driver. If you sell or install a 120v device that is not listed and it fails, you are on the hook.

2: no way to verify their claims regarding output or performance as they don't publish the raw data.

Stick with name brand products that are listed and enrolled in the Lighting Facts labelling program. Phillips, GE, Sylvania, Toshiba, and I found these "Energizer" lamps that are really good. They are made by CRS Electronics here in Ontario, are listed and lighting facts approved.

http://www.energizerled.com/energizer_led.php

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA