Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaMac View Post
or better yet, how many techs are out doing these?
You guys are lucky to have good techs, I personally went on every winterize because no one paid attention like the installer (me) did.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
You guys are lucky to have good techs, I personally went on every winterize because no one paid attention like the installer (me) did.
I want to be a business owner, not an overpaid employee. Can't grow the business if much if you plan to do all/most of the work. No way I could take all my vacations and trips if I didn't give the employees responsibilities and let them learn from mistakes. But I have been very fortunate to have two incredible employees.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Dana, we own 1 and start with one tech in mid to late September. October 1st we pick up 2 more. Third week in October we start running a fourth compressor. Always 1 guy per truck unless it rains, then we send the install guys as ride alongs instead of sending them home and train them. The fourth compressor goes for 4-5 weeks, then down to 3 for a few more weeks. The bulk of them are done by Thanksgiving. We return the other 2 and take care of the straglers with the 1 we own. We set up hose reels on the rentals with 250' of hose and each tech has a remote and they are good to go. I feel that we have stream lined the process as much as we can and we have become very efficient at it over the years.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Each tech has Hindsite on their phones with all the important info they need to get the job done, like valve box, controller, and backflow locations. Dock lines, outdoor showers and spigots, and any other special needs there may be. If the info is blank then they fill it in so the next guy knows what's going on. If it's a techs first time to a property they can get familiar with it pretty quickly, and they can always check the history to see what the last guy did. The office sends out post card reminders to get the phone to start ringing in September and they start building the routes. A lot of behind the scenes work goes into it to make all happen.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterpreferred View Post
Dana, we own 1 and start with one tech in mid to late September. October 1st we pick up 2 more. Third week in October we start running a fourth compressor. Always 1 guy per truck unless it rains, then we send the install guys as ride alongs instead of sending them home and train them. The fourth compressor goes for 4-5 weeks, then down to 3 for a few more weeks. The bulk of them are done by Thanksgiving. We return the other 2 and take care of the straglers with the 1 we own. We set up hose reels on the rentals with 250' of hose and each tech has a remote and they are good to go. I feel that we have stream lined the process as much as we can and we have become very efficient at it over the years.
Very good process. We do 750-900 for 2.5 guys. I personally only work half time, if that, during blow out season. We are in a much smaller market I would assume. I could do a lot more if I wanted to expand. I turn away a lot of work.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterpreferred View Post
A lot of behind the scenes work goes into it to make all happen.
Ain't that the truth.