Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 12:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiSantolandscaping View Post
also would anyone like to compare prices for a few services?

Mulch= $75 per yard includes labor mulch light trenching

Loam= $75 per yard inlcludes labor delivery and install

Fertlilizing= $12 per k sq ft (min $50)

Aeration= $10 per k sq ft (min $50)

Lawn over seeding= $35 per k sq ft
Raise your aeration to a minimum of $80.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
and maybe try to pick a first house up all cash, I've done crazier things.

that would be a terrible idea bc you would lose a lot of tax benefits
Old 12-04-2012, 01:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
my plan is the same as last years plan, do 2000-2500 a week in mowing which should be easier because I upgraded to a 61" cheetah in june. I'm pretty close to half way right now, I've been at the 1000 week mark for too long. But next year being my 3rd year my name is getting out there more and i am getting busier. So i think my goal of another 20-25 customers is probably pretty feasible, If i can gross 10k a month off just mowing next year, I will be one happy 24 year old. hopefully most of them will want me to do shrub pruning and mulch too so that could easily bump me to 12-15k a month and having one line of credit with 12k on it will be very easy to get out of and really make buying a house a reality as long as i don't give in and buy a newer truck first. or dump truck which would be very helpful but will take me away buying a house. i'd like to have 30,000 for a down payment on house next fall/winter, so it will take a good amount of self control, and if for whatever reason i don't get approved for a mortgage i'll save up for another season, and maybe try to pick a first house up all cash, I've done crazier things.
You and I are at about the same place. I'm just a couple years younger, next year will be year 3 (I can believe that much time flew by ). I'm shooting for a gross of $100,000 with my company.

My company grew about 600% this year. To do the same for next year, that would put me at the $300,000 range. A bit lofty, but you never know.

Basic list of what I need to do:

1. Buy a plow! I have some questions on length of a truck with the width of a plow, if anyone knows on how well a 8' straight would fair with an ext cab long box, please let me know! ASAP

2. Get approved for financing from my bank to purchase an existing Spring Green LC franchise, the owner of it is retiring, it is a 100k business with 450+ clients, if I can get financing, I'll buy it and have an employee handle the applications, I'll manage it and if it grows enough, more employees. I then plan to push hard to sell those 450+ clients to go with my company for all other maint services, if I can even land 20% of that and they want to go with full service (what I always insist on clients doing) that's 90 clients. The area is on the North/Northeast metro but it's a tight route for the most part and would be perfect if my existing company can take on more accounts from that.

3. Sell my Viking & Metro (I'd hate to part ways with the metro as it's what I started on but the tranny is going and it's quite a bit slower than a hydro). Buy a TTHP (need a floating deck & hydro) or a Lazer Z if I find a good deal and then eventually a Walker GHS before fall to make fall clean ups easier. A side bagger for fall clean ups is back breaking!

4. Graphics on my truck! Along with line-x on the rockers & new tires & rims (rims & tires will happen in the spring)

5. Fix my website, GoDaddy was great when I built it (April of 2011 when I started business) but a guy in my class today took a look at it on a desktop computer at school when we were using design software and my text and stuff are not centered like they are when viewed on a laptop. I'm pretty good with websites, if anyone knows of a good host that's pretty cheap and they're sites are easy to build and most importantly, easy to upload pics to, GoDaddy sucks with that, let me know!

6. Buy an enclosed trailer, 7-8' x 14-18'. White. Get graphics on it.

7. Hire at least 1 person full time seasonally for my company, whether it be a high school/college kid for the summer or w/e. If the Spring Green goes through and my plan for maint clients works, I'll probably hire on 2 people. If that works and once things get going with that, buy a dump trailer and another truck and hopefully have a full time crew for maint and then a part time or even full time crew for design/install that I and 1 other person would primarily work on.

8. Buy a dump truck, if it happens this year, it'd be either a dump trailer or a dump truck, my grandpa has a mid 90s f350 diesel dump that he doesn't use and I'd like to buy it. If so, build a leaf box & buy a leaf loader.

9. Once I can manage and handle the explosion of growth that I'm hoping for, I'd rather be called crazy for planning than not do anything and grow too much without knowing what to do next. Focus on commercial properties. 2-3 years from now I'd like 1 commercial maint crew, 1 resi maint crew, & 1 design/install crew. On top of the whole spring green managing.

10. Buy a house that has a little bit of land!! Within 12 months I want to be in a house of my own!
I'm going to speak with my bank this week to also see what kind of numbers I need to be posting in order to get a loan for a house, I've had my eye on a couple different properties. Either that or save more for a down payment. If I were to get a house right now, I'd have monthly bills of about $2000. So I'd need to net about $5000 a month to be somewhat satisfied. The houses I'm looking at are about 20 miles west (Lake Minnetonka Area) of where I am. So more fuel will be burned to get to the eastern metro where the Spring Green stuff is, but for those that aren't familiar with MN, Lake Minnetonka is the most wealthy area in the state, and the potential in that area is endless, so there is even more of a reason to be out in that area. Call me crazy, but 1 commercial maint crew, 1 east metro resi maint crew, 1 east metro design/install crew, and then a north & western metro resi maint crew & a design/install crew.

11. If nothing with Spring Green happens, I'm aiming for 20 more full service maint clients, thus giving me 2 days a week of maint and I'd like to fill the remaining days of each week with installs with the exception of a 2 different weeks in July when I'm out of town, 4th of July & Millville Pro MX Nat'ls the final week of July this year.

12. Pay off my CC's, all student loans, and my truck. Long shot with all of them getting paid off but it's certainly possible.

13. I want to have just about all bills prepaid (or money saved to the side to pay them during the winter) and $10,000 saved for winter. I don't want to plow, at least not with my 8.1. I'd rather head south for the winter and eventually buy property in S FL and stay there during the weekdays & some wknds and take my toy hauler to races across the south/southeastern states racing motocross most wknds.

AND, something for myself.

Upgrade dirtbikes, to a 2013, either a Honda 250 or Suzuki RMZ 250. I've been riding Suzukis since 2003 and they've been amazing, no issues whatsoever! However I do want to try something new. But that isn't going to happen until at least may or so.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm going to c/p the jist of this into a document to look back at through the year. Running on about 5 hours of sleep, time to get some rest! Final projects, designs, & tests....
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Last edited by JContracting; 12-04-2012 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
You and I are at about the same place. I'm just a couple years younger, next year will be year 3 (I can believe that much time flew by ). I'm shooting for a gross of $100,000 with my company.

My company grew about 600% this year. To do the same for next year, that would put me at the $300,000 range. A bit lofty, but you never know.

Basic list of what I need to do:

1. Buy a plow! I have some questions on length of a truck with the width of a plow, if anyone knows on how well a 8' straight would fair with an ext cab long box, please let me know! ASAP

2. Get approved for financing from my bank to purchase an existing Spring Green LC franchise, the owner of it is retiring, it is a 100k business with 450+ clients, if I can get financing, I'll buy it and have an employee handle the applications, I'll manage it and if it grows enough, more employees. I then plan to push hard to sell those 450+ clients to go with my company for all other maint services, if I can even land 20% of that and they want to go with full service (what I always insist on clients doing) that's 90 clients. The area is on the North/Northeast metro but it's a tight route for the most part and would be perfect if my existing company can take on more accounts from that.

3. Sell my Viking & Metro (I'd hate to part ways with the metro as it's what I started on but the tranny is going and it's quite a bit slower than a hydro). Buy a TTHP (need a floating deck & hydro) or a Lazer Z if I find a good deal and then eventually a Walker GHS before fall to make fall clean ups easier. A side bagger for fall clean ups is back breaking!

4. Graphics on my truck! Along with line-x on the rockers & new tires & rims (rims & tires will happen in the spring)

5. Fix my website, GoDaddy was great when I built it (April of 2011 when I started business) but a guy in my class today took a look at it on a desktop computer at school when we were using design software and my text and stuff are not centered like they are when viewed on a laptop. I'm pretty good with websites, if anyone knows of a good host that's pretty cheap and they're sites are easy to build and most importantly, easy to upload pics to, GoDaddy sucks with that, let me know!

6. Buy an enclosed trailer, 7-8' x 14-18'. White. Get graphics on it.

7. Hire at least 1 person full time seasonally for my company, whether it be a high school/college kid for the summer or w/e. If the Spring Green goes through and my plan for maint clients works, I'll probably hire on 2 people. If that works and once things get going with that, buy a dump trailer and another truck and hopefully have a full time crew for maint and then a part time or even full time crew for design/install that I and 1 other person would primarily work on.

8. Buy a dump truck, if it happens this year, it'd be either a dump trailer or a dump truck, my grandpa has a mid 90s f350 diesel dump that he doesn't use and I'd like to buy it. If so, build a leaf box & buy a leaf loader.

9. Once I can manage and handle the explosion of growth that I'm hoping for, I'd rather be called crazy for planning than not do anything and grow too much without knowing what to do next. Focus on commercial properties. 2-3 years from now I'd like 1 commercial maint crew, 1 resi maint crew, & 1 design/install crew. On top of the whole spring green managing.

10. Buy a house that has a little bit of land!! Within 12 months I want to be in a house of my own!
I'm going to speak with my bank this week to also see what kind of numbers I need to be posting in order to get a loan for a house, I've had my eye on a couple different properties. Either that or save more for a down payment. If I were to get a house right now, I'd have monthly bills of about $2000. So I'd need to net about $5000 a month to be somewhat satisfied. The houses I'm looking at are about 20 miles west (Lake Minnetonka Area) of where I am. So more fuel will be burned to get to the eastern metro where the Spring Green stuff is, but for those that aren't familiar with MN, Lake Minnetonka is the most wealthy area in the state, and the potential in that area is endless, so there is even more of a reason to be out in that area. Call me crazy, but 1 commercial maint crew, 1 east metro resi maint crew, 1 east metro design/install crew, and then a north & western metro resi maint crew & a design/install crew.

11. If nothing with Spring Green happens, I'm aiming for 20 more full service maint clients, thus giving me 2 days a week of maint and I'd like to fill the remaining days of each week with installs with the exception of a 2 different weeks in July when I'm out of town, 4th of July & Millville Pro MX Nat'ls the final week of July this year.

12. Pay off my CC's, all student loans, and my truck. Long shot with all of them getting paid off but it's certainly possible.

13. I want to have just about all bills prepaid (or money saved to the side to pay them during the winter) and $10,000 saved for winter. I don't want to plow, at least not with my 8.1. I'd rather head south for the winter and eventually buy property in S FL and stay there during the weekdays & some wknds and take my toy hauler to races across the south/southeastern states racing motocross most wknds.

AND, something for myself.

Upgrade dirtbikes, to a 2013, either a Honda 250 or Suzuki RMZ 250. I've been riding Suzukis since 2003 and they've been amazing, no issues whatsoever! However I do want to try something new. But that isn't going to happen until at least may or so.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm going to c/p the jist of this into a document to look back at through the year. Running on about 5 hours of sleep, time to get some rest! Final projects, designs, & tests....
you got ALOT of money goin out there good luck man! hope you get it but realitically i think you are shooting for too much too fast, every one is different but that will be alot to hand and alot at once. Quality might slip, u might burn urself out crazy fast, u might lose your social life, etc etc good luck tho!
Old 12-04-2012, 02:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
you got ALOT of money goin out there good luck man! hope you get it but realitically i think you are shooting for too much too fast, every one is different but that will be alot to hand and alot at once. Quality might slip, u might burn urself out crazy fast, u might lose your social life, etc etc good luck tho!
Thanks for the advice.

It is pretty rapid, but I think this is my shot to make the money I've wanted and even though I wont truly be happy until I'm drinking beers and mojitos on my yacht as its trolling through the intercoastal in ft Lauderdale and I have a few European exotics (among other vehicles, new diesels, etc) in my driveway in front of my mansion. This is a good start to getting to that by age 35-37 maybe even 30. It'll take more than just business to do that, I spend some time trading on the stock market here and there right now and to get the money I want ill have to up my game in the market.

But with the quality slipping, I'll hire the right people to avoid that as much as possible. I kinda did lose a good portion of my social life when former very close friend that was a business partner for about a month and a half apparently didn't like the way I worked when we worked for this underground directional drilling company (I worked there a month and quit to focus on my business, best move ever). He was the operator and I was a laborer and I guess I didn't learn the stuff fast enough for what he wanted and he was mad at me for w.e reason as if it was his dime paying me. But since that falling out, the partnership ended. Just about all of our friends were within the same group and they decided to side with him. I make more in a week than most of them do in a month and the majority of them are going nowhere with becoming financially successful so its probably better I dont associate with that group. One of the most rewarding things was closing our partnership's business bank account and when I send him a 1099 for the profit we split on a patio we did before the partnership was registered.

I didn't lose all friends though, thankfully my motocross buddies are always loyal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 02:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

didn't lose all friends though, thankfully my motocross buddies are always loyal.

If they aren't still friends they probably never were anyway.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:34 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
that would be a terrible idea bc you would lose a lot of tax benefits
That depends on the size of the interest payments. Below a certain level, I forget the number but it's pretty high, you would use the standard deduction vs. itemizing.

Old 12-04-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Your truck will be fine with an 8' plow, I believe you can get any brand as well.

These are the basic numbers:
midsize truck or smaller 6'
1500 truck 7'
2500 8'
3500 9'

Gas is going to absolutely suck plowing, what is your normal gas mileage?

I have a 2006 gmc 2500hd crew cab so I can only get a few brands because my front gvwr is 100-200 pounds lighter than companies like Fischers minimum front weight requirements, but a regular and extended cab should be fine.

I just bought a Honda 928 track drive snowblower for this year, and will worry about spending extra money to plow next year.
-Michael

2006 GMC Sierra 2500hd crew cab
BOSS 8'2" Power V
Hustler X-one 60"
Toro Proline 36" wb w/t-bar controls
Toro 22"
Shindaiwa T254, Echo trimmers, chainsaws, pole hedge trimmer, pole saw, hedge trimmer
Shindaiwa 633 and Echo 760LN
Old 12-04-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllawncare View Post
didn't lose all friends though, thankfully my motocross buddies are always loyal.

If they aren't still friends they probably never were anyway.
That is the way I'm looking at it. I'm better off without em. Those that are successful don't hang with those that are not.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old

Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboysLawnCareDelaware View Post
Your truck will be fine with an 8' plow, I believe you can get any brand as well.

These are the basic numbers:
midsize truck or smaller 6'
1500 truck 7'
2500 8'
3500 9'

Gas is going to absolutely suck plowing, what is your normal gas mileage?

I have a 2006 gmc 2500hd crew cab so I can only get a few brands because my front gvwr is 100-200 pounds lighter than companies like Fischers minimum front weight requirements, but a regular and extended cab should be fine.

I just bought a Honda 928 track drive snowblower for this year, and will worry about spending extra money to plow next year.
-Michael
I figured that in already. I know I'll be burning a ton of gas. I get 8-9 around town as is. I figured 6 mpg plus a bunch when I'm on site. I'll be getting a boss, I have my eye on an 8' straight blade near me on CL. May go look at it today.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

23 Years Old