Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-04-2012, 12:44 PM
LawnSite Member

I got a 9 ft western on my dump lol and a salter haha gas is gna kill me too! But that's why u gotta get decent amt of accounts and make enough
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyles landscape View Post
I got a 9 ft western on my dump lol and a salter haha gas is gna kill me too! But that's why u gotta get decent amt of accounts and make enough
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes indeed. After running the numbers, I'm not going to make as much as I'd like for snow but everything (plow) will be paid for and for this season, that is what matters. My route is tight with the exception of one account which is residential but it will pay considerably well for higher depths of snow. We have snow in the forecast for Sunday. Buy the plow within the next couple days, and have it installed & ready for the storm.
Exmark TTHP 36"
225 Gal MN Wanner Skid Sprayer
8' Boss RT3 Straight Blade

Licensed Applicator

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
22 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.
Old 12-04-2012, 12:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Ya its all good if it snows haha I plowed 3x last season it sucked! I try to have all my bills paid from landscaping so plowing is gravy money bc I cannot count on it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Ya its all good if it snows haha I plowed 3x last season it sucked! I try to have all my bills paid from landscaping so plowing is gravy money bc I cannot count on it
Posted via Mobile Device
That's why I'll always be per push/time & materials for plowing. Make all the money to cover overhead & personal bills during the landscape season, that way if there's a season like last year, all bills will be paid and stress is limited and if there's a big year for snow, more money for me!

How old are you btw? Figured I'd ask.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Old 12-04-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm 21 been doin the landscaping for few years but this was my first serious year and first year snow plowing usually used snowblower hby?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-04-2012, 04:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im buying a trailer, JRCO dethacher, another br 600, and maybe a new edger. Just bought a TON of gator g6 blades off mow part. Cant wait to see what all the hype is about.

14 Years old
Old 12-04-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I'm 21 been doin the landscaping for few years but this was my first serious year and first year snow plowing usually used snowblower hby?
Posted via Mobile Device
21 as well. I started my company in 2011. Worked for a local municipality doing installs & maintenance and got my company going slow. I didn't plow for myself last year, I only had a half ton. I ran skid for the first company I ever worked for (back in 2007) and I plowed twice, one 3" storm & then the one big storm we had that was around 16" or so? I also worked a part time job 30-35 hrs a week in retail to basically make ends meet for me through the winter and in early/mid March I went on a vacation to FL for Spring Break with some friends, it got to about 75 degrees in MN when we were gone and the season got going very shortly after and never looked back aside the whole thing with my former friend/business partner. Starting in June this year I took on my business full time. I made it work so far, had a very nice fall, Sept, Oct, & Nov (and Dec if we land this late season clean up I just looked at, plus this snow storm we may have coming our way), were extremely profitable months.

I'm looking at a plow tomorrow morning and if it checks out, I'll buy it and have it installed just in time for this weekend.
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Old 12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exmarkboy13 View Post
im buying a trailer, JRCO dethacher, another br 600, and maybe a new edger. Just bought a TON of gator g6 blades off mow part. Cant wait to see what all the hype is about.
14 years old? You're off to a good start. I wish I got started earlier than 19 like I did. How do you get from property to property?
Exmark TTHP 36"

Licensed Applicator

22 Years Old

Old 12-04-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I just received my Ornamental and Turf pesticide applicator certification, so I'm hoping to provide additional services to my current customers and the benefit of "one-stop shopping" lawn care to prospective customers.

Also, I'm hoping to add a new 52 inch zero turn to our walk behinds so we can increase efficiency and be able to take on slightly larger properties than we currently service.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
that would be a terrible idea bc you would lose a lot of tax benefits
probably won't happen anyways, I probably will have to finance it, I'm just worried I won't get approved for a mortgage. Even though I've heard an auto loan and mortgage are the two easiest loans to get approved for, I've tried to get neither before, I have good credit, just a short history only had credit for 6 years. and believe it or not that is the main thing hurting my credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
You and I are at about the same place. I'm just a couple years younger, next year will be year 3 (I can believe that much time flew by ). I'm shooting for a gross of $100,000 with my company.

My company grew about 600% this year. To do the same for next year, that would put me at the $300,000 range. A bit lofty, but you never know.

Basic list of what I need to do:

1. Buy a plow! I have some questions on length of a truck with the width of a plow, if anyone knows on how well a 8' straight would fair with an ext cab long box, please let me know! ASAP

2. Get approved for financing from my bank to purchase an existing Spring Green LC franchise, the owner of it is retiring, it is a 100k business with 450+ clients, if I can get financing, I'll buy it and have an employee handle the applications, I'll manage it and if it grows enough, more employees. I then plan to push hard to sell those 450+ clients to go with my company for all other maint services, if I can even land 20% of that and they want to go with full service (what I always insist on clients doing) that's 90 clients. The area is on the North/Northeast metro but it's a tight route for the most part and would be perfect if my existing company can take on more accounts from that.

3. Sell my Viking & Metro (I'd hate to part ways with the metro as it's what I started on but the tranny is going and it's quite a bit slower than a hydro). Buy a TTHP (need a floating deck & hydro) or a Lazer Z if I find a good deal and then eventually a Walker GHS before fall to make fall clean ups easier. A side bagger for fall clean ups is back breaking!

4. Graphics on my truck! Along with line-x on the rockers & new tires & rims (rims & tires will happen in the spring)

5. Fix my website, GoDaddy was great when I built it (April of 2011 when I started business) but a guy in my class today took a look at it on a desktop computer at school when we were using design software and my text and stuff are not centered like they are when viewed on a laptop. I'm pretty good with websites, if anyone knows of a good host that's pretty cheap and they're sites are easy to build and most importantly, easy to upload pics to, GoDaddy sucks with that, let me know!

6. Buy an enclosed trailer, 7-8' x 14-18'. White. Get graphics on it.

7. Hire at least 1 person full time seasonally for my company, whether it be a high school/college kid for the summer or w/e. If the Spring Green goes through and my plan for maint clients works, I'll probably hire on 2 people. If that works and once things get going with that, buy a dump trailer and another truck and hopefully have a full time crew for maint and then a part time or even full time crew for design/install that I and 1 other person would primarily work on.

8. Buy a dump truck, if it happens this year, it'd be either a dump trailer or a dump truck, my grandpa has a mid 90s f350 diesel dump that he doesn't use and I'd like to buy it. If so, build a leaf box & buy a leaf loader.

9. Once I can manage and handle the explosion of growth that I'm hoping for, I'd rather be called crazy for planning than not do anything and grow too much without knowing what to do next. Focus on commercial properties. 2-3 years from now I'd like 1 commercial maint crew, 1 resi maint crew, & 1 design/install crew. On top of the whole spring green managing.

10. Buy a house that has a little bit of land!! Within 12 months I want to be in a house of my own!
I'm going to speak with my bank this week to also see what kind of numbers I need to be posting in order to get a loan for a house, I've had my eye on a couple different properties. Either that or save more for a down payment. If I were to get a house right now, I'd have monthly bills of about $2000. So I'd need to net about $5000 a month to be somewhat satisfied. The houses I'm looking at are about 20 miles west (Lake Minnetonka Area) of where I am. So more fuel will be burned to get to the eastern metro where the Spring Green stuff is, but for those that aren't familiar with MN, Lake Minnetonka is the most wealthy area in the state, and the potential in that area is endless, so there is even more of a reason to be out in that area. Call me crazy, but 1 commercial maint crew, 1 east metro resi maint crew, 1 east metro design/install crew, and then a north & western metro resi maint crew & a design/install crew.

11. If nothing with Spring Green happens, I'm aiming for 20 more full service maint clients, thus giving me 2 days a week of maint and I'd like to fill the remaining days of each week with installs with the exception of a 2 different weeks in July when I'm out of town, 4th of July & Millville Pro MX Nat'ls the final week of July this year.

12. Pay off my CC's, all student loans, and my truck. Long shot with all of them getting paid off but it's certainly possible.

13. I want to have just about all bills prepaid (or money saved to the side to pay them during the winter) and $10,000 saved for winter. I don't want to plow, at least not with my 8.1. I'd rather head south for the winter and eventually buy property in S FL and stay there during the weekdays & some wknds and take my toy hauler to races across the south/southeastern states racing motocross most wknds.

AND, something for myself.

Upgrade dirtbikes, to a 2013, either a Honda 250 or Suzuki RMZ 250. I've been riding Suzukis since 2003 and they've been amazing, no issues whatsoever! However I do want to try something new. But that isn't going to happen until at least may or so.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something but I'm going to c/p the jist of this into a document to look back at through the year. Running on about 5 hours of sleep, time to get some rest! Final projects, designs, & tests....
that's alot of growth for a year, I would break that down into 2 years, sounds like you do have a lot of buying to do, I did most of this last year, a little bit this year, upgraded my 05 scag tiger cub i bought new at 16 for 2012 scag cheetah with a 61" deck and 34hp kohler and then bought the triple bagger system for 2800 out the door in the fall just in time to start charging for picking up leaves while i mow. looks like you may be younger, but I have pretty much everything I need, bought a 2005 big tex 16' landscape trailer last year, bought a newer giant vac leaf vac last year, bought a morbark chipper with a 12" chipping capacity last year, bought a stihl ms 440 magnum in like new condition last year, two stihl 200t top handles, an ms 201t new last year, a 9hp little wonder leaf blower. this year was i upgraded the mower, got the bagger for it, just picked up my 3rd back pack a new br600. next year before spring time i plan to pick up another br600, and the jrco tine rake, and that's about it, nothing else i really need for next year, maybe a new spool of string, and another case of two stroke oil, truck, and trailer got new tires in august or september, credit cards are just about paid off, student loans are paid off, and i picked up my plow last year for 300 fisher minute mount 1 8' heavy duty commercial, and it's been with the truck i bought for 16 years.