Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Good luck too you sir as i'm kinda in the same boat as you are, although my job i have now is at the new volkswagen plant in chattanooga tn and i make pretty good money but the swing shifts and a hour drive and 11 hours work is just taking a toll on me and my time with my daughter and family. I'm not going to quit for a while im also just starting part time this season but i have a few wealthy clients lined up that will earn me around 2k a month but im just praying about it i just know i don't wanna work in a factory all my life it just depresses the heck out of me lol
Old 11-19-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It's not all roses out here either...lots of competition and ups and downs....try working on a property each week for ten years and then lose it...inconsistent help, late payers,equipment failure....rain,lack of rain.....it'll keep you on your toes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah.. I know what I'm getting into. between reading on here and over 10 years working for a company back in the day I know there are gonna be many challenges.. I'm just looking forward to getting a somewhat normal life back. those that worked night shift for many years might understand where I'm comming from.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

its been about a month since i quit my job. i get calls every week, i have a little worked lined up each week and this will keep me busy until mowing season starts. I picked up the extra accounts i needed to make up the difference of what i need to help out with my wifes income. and i still got around 13k saved up for emergency funds, with truck and all equipment i need paid for! Its been boring overall, waiting for things to pick up.. but everything is falling in to place.

i made one mistake last week and underbid on a brush removal job, i ended up going home beat up and tired with 5 bucks for working 5 hours, yes like 1 dollar per hour. this doesn't usually happen to me either, but there was some confusion about dumping fees, instead of $10 a ton, i got charged a flat rate per load because i had "yard waste" that had to go to a seperate area.. so after my dump fees, gas and day care expense for my son for the day.. i had about 5 bucks! i got me two beers and called it a learning experience. other than that, i've gotten some good paying little jobs to tie me over till mowing season starts and keep me from raiding the savings to much..
Old 02-04-2013, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inzane View Post
its been about a month since i quit my job. i get calls every week, i have a little worked lined up each week and this will keep me busy until mowing season starts. I picked up the extra accounts i needed to make up the difference of what i need to help out with my wifes income. and i still got around 13k saved up for emergency funds, with truck and all equipment i need paid for! Its been boring overall, waiting for things to pick up.. but everything is falling in to place.

i made one mistake last week and underbid on a brush removal job, i ended up going home beat up and tired with 5 bucks for working 5 hours, yes like 1 dollar per hour. this doesn't usually happen to me either, but there was some confusion about dumping fees, instead of $10 a ton, i got charged a flat rate per load because i had "yard waste" that had to go to a seperate area.. so after my dump fees, gas and day care expense for my son for the day.. i had about 5 bucks! i got me two beers and called it a learning experience. other than that, i've gotten some good paying little jobs to tie me over till mowing season starts and keep me from raiding the savings to much..
Its hard to do much this time of year, I generally service my accounts once a month and try to get "mulch and straw" done. Accounts I spent 3 hours on, this time of year Ill spend 5 to 6 hours on just to geep my truck out there.