Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-03-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I just go balls out using it to....got a backpack on and rake and snow shovel handy. I wasn't impressed at first but it has really started saving me time, labor, and fatigue.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm thinking the $90 head might be a remanufactured part, which probably isn't a good way to go.

The 580 has pretty awesome power. It shines better in some areas than others. I mostly use my 580 and reserve the Billy Goat for when I'm pushing large winrows or trying to get leaves through a slot. My 580 seemed a bit tight at first...throttle response was so-so and it didn't have that extra "holy crap" full throttle blast that it does now. Mine has been 100% reliable since I got it last October. Give it 5 tanks of gas or so to really come to it's fully strength and try to avoid extended periods of full throttle use at first...you really don't need full throttle most of the time anyway.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

That thing is so powerful, my arm hurts from trying to keep it down. Then my loader is total opposite....wore out from keeping it off the ground. Granted it is not my billy goat but I think it will really be beneficial on my lake houses. On another note I found a gx390 for 250. I can't pass it up, hoping to go get it first thing in the am.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

"Fingers crossed" I am up to 22 houses this week, found descent help for a week, would be nice to have both goat and 580 going. I got my grueling cemetery done, so now on to residentials. Hopefully I can knock everything out this week and pursue some more work.

http://centralmich.craigslist.org/grq/3376761256.html
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Have you tried the flat high velocity nozzle yet? I find it almost unuseable because it torques the tube so hard.

I have to drop my normal cleanups for a day or two to remove a mountain of storm debris that washed up on a lawn. Mostly marsh grasses but all sorts of junk mixed in as well as some big lawns and pilings...love running my saws in waterlogged filthy logs...not!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea that flat thing will wear you out before a tank of gas!....works great with acorns though. If this thing gains more power as it is broke in, I will be amazed. So for shits n giggles I had on the 580 and put the 150 on my chest..didn't have them running, but suprisingly it was comfortable.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Storm cleanup does not sound fun!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Fire them both up...wimp, lol. The one on your chest counter balances you. I don't run 2 backpack blowers often but when time is short and I just need to get it done it does work....just a few too many fumes in my face for my liking. Now if I had a backpack blower on each my chest and my back while running my Billy Goat on the ground, do you think I could strap my handheld to my leg as well...hmmm...something to try tomorrow.....
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

.....people might pay just to see the show if ya did that.....lol
Old 11-04-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks to a very good friend he is going to pick the motor up in the morning and bring it up to me around noon. I will have it tore down before I head to my first job so all I have to do is install the motor. Ought to be sittin pretty then.