Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Member

No unfortunately they were city workers so I missed my oppurtunity. They must of had a guy going along raking it up. If I find a trick I will post it, best 2 ideas so far is a snow fence and a leaf plow, I am just finding alot of labor feeding the loader when it is all packed tight.....and of corse I can't get dry weather so I guess that is factoring in to. The leaf loader has no problems with wet leaves and pine needles though, the performance is amazing. I will find my tricks with it as well.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

I guess I can't complain to much, usually I am begging a friend to lend a hand. I took a 2man job that would usually take 7-8hrs and did it in 5 by myself. Now with it mulching 13:1 I can fit 2-3 yards worth in my truck and saving a ton in gas.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The method the company I used to work for used for feeding loader with wet leaves was flip rake upside down & use handle to pull leaves from the pile. There was 3 of us, 1 would stand with a foot on the tube feeding it with the rake handle & other 2 guys would feed the leaves to the guy feeding the tube with rake handles. We used the rake handle more than the actual rake, basically used the rake end to gather loose leaves as the pile got smaller.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

You just gave me a good idea so I don't have to stand on tube handle while trying to feed it, I will try staking it down. I been feeding it with hard and lawn rake to. Clears out an area faster then I can move heavy tube around.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I tend to feed with the tube on the ground and bring the leaves to it also. That way I can pick any sticks out too. Seems less tiring to me. I don't use a leaf rake though, I use a 24 inch aluminum landscape rake or an 18 inch garden rake if they're heavy and wet.

I don't understand what the problem is with you not being able to get the leaves in rows though. Just move them as a front rather than a pile and as someone said, throttle down a bit when you get near the curb. You can also adjust the angle of the discharge chute on your machine. Are you moving them as a pile and then trying to spread them back out or something?
Old 10-22-2012, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I can get them piled up pretty good and within a 10ft area of the truck without a big mess and as I went along I kept using blower to tidy up pile and bring it closer. I think I just need to slow my roll, appreciate what I got and figure out my new system. I am so use to manual labor, I guess I was expecting some magic fall cleanup genie to appear once I bought this loader and blower.....lol
Old 10-22-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I think using a leaf loader solo is a pain and prefer to just grind and bag with my mower on those jobs I have to haul on, which isn't that many. To me it's like bringing the mountain to the man instead of bringing the man to the mountain. You have to get all the leaves from the back yard to where you can suck them up, and then you have to suck them up. With a riding mower and vacuum bagger you just pick them up where they are. Luckily I don't have that many jobs I have to haul leaves from...most just get blown and/or dumped to the woods.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:54 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate everyone's advice tonite, will let you know how I pan out tommorow.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temple Lawn Care View Post
I would love a dump insert one day, my 1/2 ton is maxed out. All in due time. Thanks newguy, all these guys had to start out somewhere to. I see so many brand new rigs sitting idle, I have no clue how they are making it.
Don't get me wrong. I'm sure you take care of your customers. The overall appearance looks rough by all means. Not saying you're a slob or anything. I started my business with a business plan that was well thought out. Because I did this, it allowed me to comfortably finance most everything to get started. In 5 years I managed to pay off everything AND support a family. It was rough the first few years but I'm now much more comfortable.

A business plan would give you a clue as to how they are making it.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the insite orange, your right a business plan would probably help a ton. I set goals for myself every year and that's about it. I do appreciate the criticism though, from a customers prospective my contraption may not look so curb appealing.

On a second note I went by the city workers and they had been working on it for awhile....of corse someone does rake it and another man blowing the piles nice and neat for the city vacuum truck.

Lastly, I was much more productive today. I started in the front yards and blew them out first, vacuumed that up, then brought the back yard forward. This seemed to eliminate the unmovable piles and allow me to bring everthing closer to the truck. I was able to double my production today over yesterday.

Thanks again for everyone's input