Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2012, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I prefer my 580 to using a wheel blower on lawns. Wheel blowers wear me out on soft turf and sloping terrain and I'm not a big fan of walkng backwards. I know the newer Billy Goats have larger wheels which should help. The wheel blower definitely blows harder, but when you tally up the control and fatigue factors, the 580 comes close to being a wheel blower replacement in my opinion.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Only reason this machine was so cheap and had low hours is he bought a force13 a year after the one I got. Mine is last year for metal casing I guess. He said the case was already cracking on the force13 and his only reason for keeping it was the bigger tires. Fatigue is definitely an issue so far on hills, but it definitely beats rakes and tarps. I already see double production, so at what point am I just spoiled.....lol..... Maybe I will keep my eye open for a 580 over winter, sure someone will pawn or post one.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

One thing to keep an eye on with your unit. The front wheel braket is only attached with a couple of sheet metal screws through the housing. One of my screws rattled out, causing the wheel to bend the housing up. I sunk some addiitonal self tapping screws in mine after beating it back into shape...mostly back into shape anyway, lol.

Not sure what engine you have on yours. I've had significant problems with the 10HP Briggs engine on mine. It spit out an exhaust valve seat and then bent the rods somehow 2 years later. I replaced the head. My dealer says the 10HP engine is pretty much crap. I looked into replacing mine with a Honda but that was pretty pricey...would be better off just buying a new unit.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Nice, thanks for the info.....it does have the 10hp briggs on it..you'd think they'd have it figured out by now. Any tips on prolonging the life of the motor? Same with leaf loader, I wasn't impressed it has briggs 18hp vanguard. Both seem to run fine and I always idle everything down and let it run for a minute before shut down, same on start up, I let them run a couple minutes before putting under full load.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The Vanguard is a good engine...shouldn't have any trouble with that.

On the 10HP Briggs, make sure you check the oil often and keep it clean....the sump doesn't hold much at all so even a little low could cause a problem. My dealer bumped the rpms down 100 on mine...I think he said from 3600 to 3500 rpms, but I could be wrong. They are known for head problems according to my dealer. He said something about the cylinder wall compostiion too but I forget the details...basically handle with care is the message I got.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear the vanguard is a good motor, it seems it would be, twin cylinder, starts and runs so smooth. I will just have to get in the routine if checking the oil more often.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just wanted to make a correction on the Billy Goat. The front wheel bracket is bolted onto the front plate of the housing that has the air intake with four bolts...that's not the problem. The problem I had was that I lost one screw that secures that plate to the main housing, making the wheel bend that plate. So I sunk addional screws to keep it better secured to the main housing.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

9hp honda or nothing for a wheeled blower, that's what i have on my little wonder and its a beast, it wasn't cheap though. also the billy goat has a model that is self propelled. But the little wonder is more just by having the remote mount air deflector not on a spring like the billy goats do. i can leave in an infinite number of positions not just a few like the billy goats. i think i payed an extra 300 or 400 hundred for the honda motor over the subaru but its hands down worth it.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't think the Billy Goat self-propelled units have a reverse. What good is having it self propelled only half of the time? The Optimax self-propelled blowers look sweet, with both forward and reverse! I can't see myself buying one though, not at this point anyway.

Last edited by Darryl G; 10-23-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Self propelled sounds nice, and I even looked at a couple blower buggies. Problem I see is alot of backing up and loss of control. This goat was actually suspose to have the honda motor and when I got there to pick it up it had the briggs, if the machine wasn't next to new I would have walked away. I have a 5 acre cemetery I am doing in the morning for the first time.....wish me luck, ha