Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-25-2012, 09:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Supposedly the new heads for the Briggs are updated and better. Notice I didn't say good, just better, lol. That was my choice as the rest of the engine seemed fine. Head was around $150.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Member

yea i was checking that out on their website was gonna ask you if new head was any good, going to see if they have it in the morning. I doubt I can get away with a $6 fix.....
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Member

doing some cross checking the impeller is the same on the 13hp honda and 10hp briggs
Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

From what I gather it's a heat problem which is worse running lean, as in running out of gas like you and I both did. I haven't really used my blower enough since repairing it last year to give testament on the head. In fact I hardly use it at all now that I got my 580. I stopped even loading it last year. I've been loading it this year but it hasn't come off the trailer yet. I did use it on my yard for a little while the other day.

I think the best you can do for now is keep the oil full and clean and maybe throttle it down a little rather than full bore, assuming you get it running again with a new rod.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea and I re-learned a valuable lesson.....go with your instincts, it was a craigslist sale, guy said honda over phone, got the and was a b&s, gave benefit of the doubt cause my leaf loader has a briggs on it.....and 2nd lesson, if I just would have taken the air cleaner off in the parking lot, I probably wouldnt have bought it.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is the honda replacement motor......ouch but 3 more hp and it's a honda!

http://www.sprayerdepot.com/Itemdesc...FUQw4AodUBsAag
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that's why mine just got a new head on it! I would have had my dealer install the engine.....well actually it's a rental yard owned by a friend of mine...and by the time I was done I'd probably be close to $1,000, in which case I'd be better off just buying a new unit. And for a piece of equipment I don't use much, even before I got my 580, the band-aid new head approach seemed like my best option.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Member

here's my downside of a new unit, they are all plastic, i kinda like the idea of a metal housing, and have heard of casings cracking.....little wonder's are nice but don't offer the movable chute like the goats.....either way wish me luck in the morning, hopefully I can be back by 9am and up and going by 11am........gonna change the oil, filter, plug....my luck there goes another 20 into it.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually the new Little Wonders do have a moveable chute. Well, there's a moveable deflector mounted in the chute. http://littlewonder.com/lw-blowers.asp

Filter? As in oil filter? Mine doesn't have one.

BTW, did you figure out how to lock the chute in place?

Looks like tomorrow I have to get ready for the freakin "Frankenstorm" that's headed my way. I have to pick up a load of stone in case I need to build a berm in front of my garage doors again. I could use some anyway for my driveway. My garage floor is at 6.2 feet above sea level on a tidal river and there's way more stuff down there than I feel like moving or even have room for. I would have had at least a foot of water in it if I hadn't sealed the doors with plastic sheating and built a berm during Hurricane Irene...well tropical storm by the time it hit us.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

No, it needs an air filter bad, probably another reason it broke a pushrod. I always change oil and filter in new machines before I use them, just grabbed this and went with it.

Goodluck tommorow, flooding is no good. Sounds like you got a plan, keep me posted.

I found this motor, worse case scenario...it's about 2 hours away though.
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/for/3302311533.html