Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-22-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Jovingo Landscaping View Post
Are you planning on using the trailer for heavier loads than equipement? Mulch, top soil, gravel, sod, skids of chemical or pavers, etc. If not, I would stick with single axle. Tandem axles require more maintenance, like rear set of wheels wearing fast & brakes. Single axle trailers don't have brakes & with 3/4 ton truck you don't need brakes if all you are planning on putting on trailer is equipment.

Sounds like you're just starting out if you don't have ZTR or walkbehind. Not sure what biggest single axle is but 6X12 single axle is a good size for solo operation. I hope you are already established LCO if you plan on financing ZTR, walkbehind & trailer to replace current setup.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just starting out yes, but no financing at all. Buying used equipment to start out and paying cash for all of it. That is why its hard to pick the trailer size as I havent snagged a used mower yet. But its hard to snag a mower without a trailer. I will begin phase replacement of the used equipment halfway through the first season if needed. I am not opposed to buying new equipment but I want to try to get a good deal on a z turn during the off season. At least that is the plan for now....
Old 10-22-2012, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question...buy why multiple mowers if you are solo ?
I run solo and carry two mowers. A 60 and a 34 stander. the 34 is for narrow gates. 60 is for everything else. I run a 6.5x18. Have plenty of room nor both mowers, wheeled blower, walkbehind vac and a push spreader..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 02:03 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been running the same 6.5 x 12 trailer for 11 years now and it works out well for me. I'm solo most of the time but have a trimmer/blower guy in the summer. I save a little room by having a low front rail on my trailer so that the whole back of my mower hangs over the tongue...the rear wheels are against the rail.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:43 AM
LawnSite Member

What is the minimum size trailer width and length for solo lawn mowing?

Bet everyone here wishes the trailer they bought was 2 feet longer. Look around what people are using and how much they got loaded on it
Old 10-22-2012, 02:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a 7 x 16 enclosed, 48 inch zero turn and two push mowers with lawn vac, walk edger, trimmer rack with two trimmers and a stick edger, nose mounted work bench with two chainsaws, small hand tools, repair tools, etc. Wall mounted rack for handheld blower and back pack blower, gas cans, bunch of other stuff mounted on the walls. I tried to hang as much as possible, but am finding I am in need of a bigger trailer quickly. Don't go six feet wide. Go at least seven. I regret not going eight feet wide. My next trailer purchase is gonna be 8.5 x 22. (Spring time) You have the rig to pull, go bigger than you need on the trailer and you won't regret it like I do. If you are taller make sure you get a trailer that is at least a couple inches taller on the inside than you are!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Consider rapid tire wear on dual axle trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Man I have been searching for a 7x14 single axle...for some reason when you go from 12' to 14' they all want to stuff another axle under the trailer...!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Enclosed trailers are always smaller than an open trailer of the same size. I know that doesn't make sense but in practice that's how it seems. You need a little extra room to move around in.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have all my equipment in a 6x12 enclosed trailer. Me personally I'd like to get atleast a 7x14 just cause I'd like to get a 60" ztr. But I think if have u have just say a 52" ztr with a walkbehind, I'd go with a single axle 6x12.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Enclosed trailers are always smaller than an open trailer of the same size. I know that doesn't make sense but in practice that's how it seems. You need a little extra room to move around in.

Yeah I agree with an enclosed trailer use prob around 3-4 inches on both sides. Its b/c on an open trailer the gate is the actual size if the trailer.

"There is no such thing as failure. There are only results." – Tony Robbins

Enough Said...