Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Ed...the bores on the Kaw twins hold up pretty good....the rub on these engines has always been the upper bushing in the block wearing out. Leaking head gaskets and bad valve guides can cause heavy oil usage.
Filthy oil and leaky air filters are usually what wipe out the rings...
Dirt in the intake wears out the compression rings...
Filthy oil cruds up the oil wiping rings and makes them stick in the ring lands, overheat and lose their tension.
Sadly I am on the replacement engine and now it is burning oil. I have kept all external leaks fixed pulled it off last year replace all gaskets. I assume if they leak past the valve guides I am sunk? I put a better air filter on one of the two standers.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not sunk. You can have new guides pressed in or some machine shops can knurl them for a few hundred more hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-02-2012, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Not sunk. You can have new guides pressed in or some machine shops can knurl them for a few hundred more hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
I am a little hesitant in putting much money into these 17HP Kaw a lot of them in the junk pile at the dealer.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I am a little hesitant in putting much money into these 17HP Kaw a lot of them in the junk pile at the dealer.
Its easier for a dealer to sell a new engine than to find a mechanic that can build one that won't come back...
While there is no substitute for experience..if you check the block in all the right places...you should be able to determine if it is worth rebuilding before you spend a dime..
The weakspots on the FH series is the upper crank bushing , the governor assy, and the castings where the coil bolts thread into...if these are good ...and the bores look good when you place a new ring in them...it'll probably be ok..
Old 11-03-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

right.. who puts 50 cal balls incased in a plastic ring for use in the gov. sandwitched between 2 metal plates? I like Kawi, but i seen that and shock my head. as for the 17hp, all of ours, 20 or so, have burnt oil since birth..right off the shelf they smoked, mainly till they get warm then it goes away. they stay relatively good on oil throughout the life of the oil but reek havac on spark plugs.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you deglaze the cylinders and put a 30 degree crosshatch on the bores...the rings will seat better and it will virtually eliminate any oil consumption caused by the rings..
Old 11-03-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Its easier for a dealer to sell a new engine than to find a mechanic that can build one that won't come back...
While there is no substitute for experience..if you check the block in all the right places...you should be able to determine if it is worth rebuilding before you spend a dime..
The weakspots on the FH series is the upper crank bushing , the governor assy, and the castings where the coil bolts thread into...if these are good ...and the bores look good when you place a new ring in them...it'll probably be ok..
All of the ones in bone pile are broken cranks...don't knowwhere they break. The shop I use usually does at least two rebuilds a week but always Kohler units. That was the failure on the first one I had.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All of these options make for a tough choice - and knowing that the skill of who is working on it makes me feel like taking it to the dealer may be a waste of money. That said, what is a typical cost of just replacing rings, and then the cost of some of the extra things mentioned?
Just thinking of it, what should a FH541V new be to put on the TurfTracer?
Accelerator Baggers
Toro 21"
Honda 21"
Sthil 110 4-Mix String Trimmer
Sthil 420 BP Blower
Echo 755 Blower
Sthil HS-81 Hedge Trimmer
Spyker Spreader
Plugr PL 800 WB Aerator
Lawn Soultions WB Aerator

Echo BP Sprayers
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

looking at about 3 hours labor ($60-$80hr) for the rings, while in it mind as well replace all the seals and gaskets. Roughly $35 each set of rings. New Engine ranges from $1350-$1500, depending on the spec code (ES23, CS33). 1+ hour labor to change the engine depending on the machine and ease.

You said you put a "better" air filter on one of the standers? did this make any difference? some of these machines have internally vented and some have externally vented carbs...putting the wrong one on could cause minor flooding i think. dont quote me on that though. just a thought.

28 Maintenance Crews, 3 Landscaping Crews, 3 Irigation Crews, 6 Turf Crews, 3 Maintenance Enhancment Crews, 2 Hardscapes Crews

70 Wright Stander 52"
12 Wright Stander 36"
9 Wright ZK 61"
18 Encore Rage 52" Stand On Mower
400+ pieces of RedMax Equipment
150+ pieces of Kawasaki Power Equipment
350+ pieces of Husqvarna Handheld Equipment
.....A constant barrage of broken machines!!
Old 11-06-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDL77 View Post
looking at about 3 hours labor ($60-$80hr) for the rings, while in it mind as well replace all the seals and gaskets. Roughly $35 each set of rings. New Engine ranges from $1350-$1500, depending on the spec code (ES23, CS33). 1+ hour labor to change the engine depending on the machine and ease.

You said you put a "better" air filter on one of the standers? did this make any difference? some of these machines have internally vented and some have externally vented carbs...putting the wrong one on could cause minor flooding i think. dont quote me on that though. just a thought.
That darn seal kit with all those bolt an stuff runs close to $200. So a ring and valves grinding could slide up into $400 or so.