Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

starting legit lawn care business tips please.

hey guys im new here but lemme start off and tell yall bout me im 24 years old live in GA and im really wanting to get into the lawn business asap and eventually get enough accounts and quit my full time job but i need to start first so far i have made very nice front back and simple business cards passed them around im possibly gonna invest in some more marketing ideas but thats later possibly, as far as my equipment goes i have just purchased my first home last year and purposely waited to buy lawn equipment because im gonna prolly go with all Stihl commercial series that way i can use it for my house and business without it being a waste of money. as far as that goes i havent got any accounts yet cause its been 2 weeks but what push mower would u recommend for me to purchase since i dont really have any account i dont need a zero turn right now. my funds are decent so give me some good ideas right now all i have is a mclane 10 blade reel mower but theres no way thats leaving my yard lmao so id appreciate any tips on anything yall can think off cause im very serious about this thanks
Old 10-17-2012, 09:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Bump anyone?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Advertise as much as you can. Buying equipment is pointless unless you have accounts to justify it.
You should ask yourself what size of accounts you will be doing. Are you going to do any commercial accounts? Do you have a trailer? Do you have a truck? If you have a decent amount of funds I would buy a commercial walk behind. Either a hydro unit or belt. But the hydro is nice to have.
That's my advise. Feel free to ask any other questions
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&Clawncare View Post
Advertise as much as you can. Buying equipment is pointless unless you have accounts to justify it.
You should ask yourself what size of accounts you will be doing. Are you going to do any commercial accounts? Do you have a trailer? Do you have a truck? If you have a decent amount of funds I would buy a commercial walk behind. Either a hydro unit or belt. But the hydro is nice to have.
That's my advise. Feel free to ask any other questions
Posted via Mobile Device
To me that doesn't make sense. How can you get accounts without equipment? Do you just tell your new customers that you'll mow their lawn once you get enough accounts to buy equipment?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Member

No. Sorry that wasn't very clear. You definitely need a mower before getting accounts.
How much do you have to spend right now on equipment?
Old 10-17-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah i have a truck and trailer but i havent got any calls yet. Im going to start residential first and try maybe one commercial but as soon as i decide a decent push mower im go buy one then once i get 2 or 3 accounts ill go and buy a hydro what is a decent low maintenance hydro mower i should invest in
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda makes a good push mower. They are a bit more pricey compared to the other one's. If you can find a lawn boy 2 mix mower they are great on hills.

As to a hydro unit. All I can speak for are scags and exmarks. Both are great mowers. Depending on the size of your accounts you could get the 36" 48" or 52" I guess you could go even bigger if you wanted. The turf tracers are nice. You really can't go wrong with either brand. Some guys run other stuff that I'm sure is great but I haven't had them
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Kk awesome thanks alot ima go purchase tomorrow how many calls do u normally get after taping business cards to mailboxes i passed out 500 today
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

use the search feature of this site. your not the first genius to start his own lawn biz

btw. kk is what my 9 year old daughter says, that has no place in a 24 year old boys vocabulary.....
Old 10-17-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes sir sorry sir
Posted via Mobile Device