Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Scheduling, tracking, selling APP

I was talking with a guy this weekend who has an app developed for a different industry and was planning to roll it out for landscaper shortly.

I was wondering if I used this app, would I have to buy smart phones for the foreman to use or make them use their own phone. Would it be worth putting some kind of tablet in the trucks?

So the app does quite a bit and I could see it being beneficial in a lot of ways. I will give a description of what it does or at least what I got from it.

You can log on to your dash board form the office in the morning and send the schedules to all the foreman. They get turn by turn directions to each job. They are able to hit "start" and "stop" at each job. After hitting stop, it will have check boxes for upsells. For instance, if they were mowing Mr. Jones lawn that day, it would have boxes for did he need bushes trimmed, weeds pulled, lawn sprayed etc.

It maps out the crews whereabouts for the day so you can see if they stopped off somewhere or went off route. The foreman can take pictures which can be uploaded to your facebook or even tag the customers in it.

So it seems pretty neat. I just want to know if you think I would have the investment up front of buying smart phones or tablets or do you think I could have the guys use their phones. It sounded like the service would cost somewhere around 20-30 bucks a month but i could make that up with picking up one new job or just cutting some windshield time.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A lot of lookers, any opinions?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I was talking to a owner who ran several crews at a conference recently who uses a similar product. He said it was a huge help to know how long each lawn took and compare that overtime. It was a good way to know how many lawns each crew could do each day and when they might be slacking off.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you know what that program was called?
Old 10-23-2012, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Did I get to wordy?

Would you guys buy phones for the guys or have them use their own. A lot of guys are already carrying a smart phone.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking about doing the same thing this year, but I'm sure you need to supply the phones if you require they be used. In other words, a boss can't require someone to use their personal phone for business unless you at least reimburse them somewhat or something, you know what I mean? I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Smart phones would be great but one phone per crew gets pricey.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Clip software does it the same way...used it for over ten years...I have Casio/ Verizon phones which are water resistant and dust proof...they cost a hundred bucks ...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya, I am more concerned about the ongoing phone service plan than the cost of the phone itself. Right now I pay like $175/month for two phones with data and I'd rather not spend twice that each month for guys to log in times on jobs. Can anyone that provides phones chime in here? How do you work it out? Can the the crew leaders keep the phones and take them home each night for personal use etc? Actually that might be a significant benefit used to encourage crew leaders - a paid for cell phone for their use. Thinking out loud here.....
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I think it was serviceautopilot but I think there are several that do it
Old 10-24-2012, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
Did I get to wordy?

Would you guys buy phones for the guys or have them use their own. A lot of guys are already carrying a smart phone.
Personally I would buy the phones. I would want to control the use of it make sure they were using for company purposes and such. Also, wouldn't want to relie on the employee not paying for his service and his phone gets shut off. Just makes good sense to me to pay for it if its for company use.