Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2012, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Right of Way clearing??

Wondering how yall make contacts or find out about right of ways clearing jobs. There are tons of gas/oil pipelines, electrical and railway ROWs near me. Should i just start calling the utility companies and send emails untill i make the right connection?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-22-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

up here, they actually get in contact with us. We usually have 2 or 3 nat gas companies a year that want us to do right of way clearing on their lines. The money would be good for a solo or an outfit who could afford to send a guy or two to play in the woods for a couple months. We just aren't certified in pest/herbacides so....

Most of the gas companies up here are like a 10/15 county radius and up to 1,000 miles of line to keep sprayed/cleared.

For cell phone towers if you're interested, look in the yellow pages under tower companies, very few cell providers own their own towers, most of them rent space on the towers. Pegasus Tower owns a ton of stuff around here, and are throughout the south east.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This would be a good question to direct toward ARP, I think he does quite a bit of that.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Where I live we have electric Co-ops. I have made contact with them in the past and been asked to bid on ROW work which I decided to pass on. Along those same lines, get your name out to state agencies. Down here we have "Aquifer Authorities" that let projects for clearing vegetation over the recharge zones or off of earthen lake dams and spillways.

Another potential is working for US MIL, ARMY and Marines clearing areas on military bases. I have been approached numerous times about clearing on TX military bases. Some of that work is very lucrative. Once you are on the "list" you will get email updates, calls, and invitations to bid that may or may not show up in other places. It's not exactly ROW work but it's similar.
One last option, Railroad Crossings. That's ROW to the extreme. Federal regulations require RR crossings to be cleared to a certain height. Depending on the time of year, this can be quite challenging for the company that has the contract. Making contact with the RR or ROW clearing contractor can get you on that list as well. I have been asked to bid (sub) RR crossing ROW work. Most of it can be done with a brush hog type implement and the specs I saw allowed brush to be discarded along the ROW as long as it was below a certain height. The drawback to that work was loading and unloading all day...

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 10-23-2012, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

big thing about any govt agencies is having a dun/bradstreet #, but I'm going to be under the assumption if Kajun has ever done any work for fema with disaster recovery, he's already got that cleared.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Made a really good contact this week at Union Pacific. Im dropping off a proposal tommorrow for bushhogging/spraying approx 40acres of land/tracks near my house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

good luck! That can really open some doors.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A buddy works for track maintenance and said his new boss was saying he wanted a reliable contractor to take over the job. I met with the guy and we hit it off good. He wants the mowing to be on a schedule to keep the grass down for safety. Hoping to land this and allow me to pay off the new tractor and trade in my wheeled skid for a tracked machine with enclosed cab and brush cutter.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-24-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Way to go Jacob!
Posted via Mobile Device